• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Form check & Analysis please

Intuition meaning:

1) the ability to understand something instinctively, without the need for conscious reasoning.
Example: we shall allow our intuition to guide us

2) a thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than conscious reasoning.

All I know from Shawn Clement video is that a correct feet placement will allow me to have a full hip rotation for more effortlessly golf swing and clearing the hips out of the way easily.

I assume:
1) My feet stance for both legs feet can be 90 degrees closed and forward instead of open or inside closed.
2) I assume my rear leg foot can be slightly open and plant leg foot closed 90 degrees.
3) I assume both of my legs feet can be slightly open stanced.
4) I assume my rear leg foot can be closed 90 degrees and plant leg foot slightly open.

Many options. I don't consciously think about my feet placement. I just focus on walking directly towards my target line. As long as I feel off-balance, it will feel okay but I may not be able to get the full range of motion for my hips due to wrong feet placement most likely. If my hips are similar to yours as you've said then what could be the correct feet placement for full range of motion for my hips?

Posture and correct feet placement is one of the keys for easier weigh shifting and effortless swing in my opinion. I may be wrong but that's what I've learned so far from here.

I made a video. Thoughts?

I added subtitles cause my accent and wording is hard to understand even for me sometimes.

Full screen to see subtitles.
Just saw this vid/post. Both of those deadlift motions are not good for disc golf as you have both legs doing the same thing and you hump/thrust/extend your hips forward(butt comes off wall instead of rotating/wiping from one butt cheek to the other cheek on wall). Your weight lifting training is not conducive to throwing, so you have to work extra hard to retrain your body(brain) how to move/loco-mote/throw correctly.

You want your legs to be doing opposite motions from each other, one knee bends while the other extends(not full extension). This is how the pelvis rotates like walking. You can basically walk in place and throw. Try it with your feet basically together.

You want to start/setup motion from a comfortable stance. The width of stance is dynamic so things can and will vary whether the momentum is slow and you are in two foot balance vs moving faster and one leg balance. The constant is gravity and being in dynamic balance to it as you shift between your feet or from one foot to the other foot.

I never see you make a proper 1-2" shift from behind move.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

^ I just want to add a couple things because as a long time Olympic lifter guy, I keep learning/revising what I do for training to keep reshaping my body for throwing.

"athletes should focus on what they suck at relative to everything else."
-Paul Schwendel

Your first choice needs to be how serious you are about maximizing disc golf vs. other things in life. That's for you to decide.

Whatever you choose, I want to talk about strength training and throwing development. I know as well as anyone that people hold onto old habits and concepts because they love them and that they were often important for one thing or another. But if you want to throw better (and safer, and longer...) you need to be prepared to change your mental set and training style.

What's the problem with Olympic style lifts for disc golf?
You can take some posture and body loading cues from some lifting examples, but you always need to remember that throwing is about moving from leg to leg like SW is saying there.

There's a second extremely pernicious thing here for all my fellow lifters out there, which is that of course the neuromuscular sequence and load is somewhat different going leg to leg than it is in two-legged lifts.

This is worth saying again:

the neuromuscular sequence and load is somewhat different going leg to leg than it is in two-legged lifts.

You, my friend, probably have issues both with strength and flexibility in the "right" places (sorry to say!), and you definitely lack the neuromuscular training you need to throw with maximum efficiency.

In my own training, the old lifting program has been almost entirely replaced with loaded or unloaded motions that move from leg to leg, and do not rely on barbells or machines that force two-limbed motions. That's why even when I liked talking about the water jug holds or lifts with people, it became immediately apparent to me that you need to be moving foot to foot as soon as you get the posture cue. Otherwise people can and often do just get stuck & force the moves and sometimes get hurt. Holding something anchored against the ground with two feet is incredibly different neuromuscularly than moving foot to foot effortlessly and learning to jettison the thing away from you.

In fact, any time a throw feels remotely like an Olympic lift, I now immediately know I need to relax, loosen up, change my breathing, move around more like throwing a medicine ball or big hammer, reset, and then get back at it.

Strength can matter, but what should you focus on besides throwing?
I hope Sidewinder agrees that you do need adequate strength in the right areas to move your mass around easily and handle the swing forces, just like you need adequate flexibility. People who grow up playing disc golf are more likely to develop those things naturally over the years adequate for their own body, and thin beanpole types popping up everywhere at the top of the distance game probably need less overall muscle mass and strength to move their less massive bodies well.

There's a problem here for people developing later in life who already have an adult body and training history. Like in pitching or baseball, it seems pretty clear in any source that I've read that Olympic-style strength doesn't add much after you reach the "adequate" plateau (which is worth talking about!) then, other things matter more. A ton of the ability to move well for throwing involves well-conditioned and well-moving stabilizing and support muscles, not just the major muscle groups that Olympic-style lifts emphasize. Barbells tend to remove those smaller muscles from the chain entirely, and you end up "trapped" in your big lift postures. So if you spent your life growing up learning to do Olympic lifts at some point rather than disc golf or related throwing potions, my money is on you having the "wrong" kinds of strength distributions across your body from the "optimum" for throwing.

There's a "vicious circle" here - if you throw well more often, it trains your body naturally just like growing up throwing. But if your body physically can't or resists the move due to weakness or inflexibility or neuromuscular blind spots, you're going to struggle. That's where changing training habits can come in and help you.

I'm a learned optimist, and there's a little hope for people like you and me. In cases where I have discovered serious baseline weaknesses (for me, I have tested and found weaknesses in parts of my legs, core, and dynamic stabilizers), I spend only a little time with the "compound" lifts that isolate the very big muscles (maybe 3 sets), then spend the rest of my time on functional movements and lifts that challenge me to bear load safely while moving leg to leg, or on only one leg. I will probably go to my grave saying that optimizing Ride the Bull is one of the highest value whole body strength/flexibility/neuromuscular training moves available to a disc golfer. At this point I only do resistance band training for my upper body plus a few pullups and pushups - I have plenty (perhaps too much) muscle mass up there already and I became willing to lose some while shoring up my weak areas. This has been more effective for me in the last 3-6 months in terms of moving better, throwing more efficiently for longer, and mitigating injury, especially as the forces involved in my swing increased. I'll never move like I'm 20 again, but I'm starting to move more like I'm closer to 30 than 40.

Disc golf can and should learn more from baseball (IMHO)

Sidewinder understands a lot of this stuff implicitly.

Here are a couple public articles from Tread. Sure, there's salespersonship because they're running a business. But they do homework and I've gained a lot changing my routines by learning from them. Read them and consider shaking it up. You should learn about the "static/slow twitch" and "dynamic/elastic/reactive" components of strength, test yourself, and consider changing your training based on what you find. For example, I was surprised to find that after a year of using more plyometric moves, I had developed pretty good "springy" strength in some of the "posterior" parts of my legs, perhaps even better than my 20s, but somehow I left my force-bearing musculature behind. I started focusing on intermixing exercises from the "reactive/elastic" and more traditional lifting domains (from one leg to the other!) to help me legs catch up from years of inactivity that were only partially addressed by physical therapy more than a year ago.

https://treadathletics.com/high-velocity-training/
https://treadathletics.com/strength-training-baseball-isolation-exercises/

Plan like an athlete and optimize quality and recovery
Last reminder - I have reduced my drive practice (i.e., when I am pushing my movement and limits into new territory) to 1-2 days per week - because that's all my body can handle for now. Everything else I do during the week is about shoring up my body and learning in one way or another. Non-throwing days are about strength, flexibility, and neuromuscular training and resting to let my brain integrate the learning and repair my body.

<3

Last edited:

You want to start/setup motion from a comfortable stance. The width of stance is dynamic so things can and will vary whether the momentum is slow and you are in two foot balance vs moving faster and one leg balance. The constant is gravity and being in dynamic balance to it as you shift between your feet or from one foot to the other foot.

I never see you make a proper 1-2" shift from behind move.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118948

I want to clarify something here before proceeding with BH form improvising.

The link you gave me which I quoted here, it tells me how to shift the weight but the instructions seem to be very easy to follow in golf stance.

Since disc golf and golf are similar, I want to ask if my hips should be looking at this in slow mo disc golf throw for a moment? Check the attachment image.

That image looks like that person pushing the hips against invisible wall.

If I need to look like that then what Spin Doctor talks about and what anyone needs to do is correct?

I mean no harm to anyone when I am mentioning their video and asking for clarification for someone else about what they think of it and whether it's correct or not. Making bad form changes is hard to get rid of so I need to make sure the idea of hips I have right now in my mind is correct. My idea of hips can be seen in the attachment image I added.

If this idea I have right now is false then I'll ignore it and keep figuring out things. From your video from previous page about not doing x-step and do the bull thing, that is how your hips look like to me, just like the hips in the golf image.

I would stop doing x-step and go Ride the Bull - change your tilt to shift pressure quicker between your feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

If this idea is correct then doing that will, guaranteed, fix the issue I have regarding weight shifting or ...? :D

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_001512.jpg
    IMG_20230628_001512.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'm starting to understand the below video due to all the weird hip angles I've started to see in Disc Golf, In your videos and in golf videos.

I'll be back with a video someday. Taking a break at the moment. Feeling sleep deprived.

I want to clarify something here before proceeding with BH form improvising.

The link you gave me which I quoted here, it tells me how to shift the weight but the instructions seem to be very easy to follow in golf stance.

Since disc golf and golf are similar, I want to ask if my hips should be looking at this in slow mo disc golf throw for a moment? Check the attachment image.

That image looks like that person pushing the hips against invisible wall.

If I need to look like that then what Spin Doctor talks about and what anyone needs to do is correct?

I mean no harm to anyone when I am mentioning their video and asking for clarification for someone else about what they think of it and whether it's correct or not. Making bad form changes is hard to get rid of so I need to make sure the idea of hips I have right now in my mind is correct. My idea of hips can be seen in the attachment image I added.

If this idea I have right now is false then I'll ignore it and keep figuring out things. From your video from previous page about not doing x-step and do the bull thing, that is how your hips look like to me, just like the hips in the golf image.

If this idea is correct then doing that will, guaranteed, fix the issue I have regarding weight shifting or ...? :D

In general I think it is on the right track to learn as much as you can from high-level golf hip mechanics. The better you understand and do it, the less confusing the high level disc golf swing gets (hopefully).

I'd post your Ride the Bull w/ the stick. SW is moving in a much stronger posture than you.

X1ck3Z2.png

Relevant crosspost:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3894079&postcount=167

Start with the backswing.

Your rear hip is locked out and not allowing your pelvis to rotate/swivel/coil back internally into the rear femur. This is why your spine remains tilted targetward because you are not turning back into the rear hip, while my head/shoulder swing back behind the front hip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 10.12.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 10.12.38 PM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 42
Start with the backswing.

Your rear hip is locked out and not allowing your pelvis to rotate/swivel/coil back internally into the rear femur. This is why your spine remains tilted targetward because you are not turning back into the rear hip, while my head/shoulder swing back behind the front hip.

attachment.php

What about now?

Try to make your disc/hammer fly initially to the right while your left leg also moves to the right behind your front leg.

Rear view looked better.

Side view your front foot is leading your stride instead of you falling butt(CoG) first and then foot catching up.

Rear view looked better.

Side view your front foot is leading your stride instead of you falling butt(CoG) first and then foot catching up.

Golf video summary: Fall forward with your butt and catch yourself with your leg. If you don't catch yourself, you'll fall down on the ground.

What about now?

Golf video summary: Fall forward with your butt and catch yourself with your leg. If you don't catch yourself, you'll fall down on the ground.

What about now?

I'll take a stab while SW is out.

Looks like you're getting more momentum and power out of butt lead. Good.

I think your spine is overall a little too perpendicular to the ground & your posture moving off the rear leg, and your throw is a little too rotational. You're missing a bit of the part that feels more like a pendulum with the whole spine/lower body swinging in like a baseball batter.

Maybe more work on Hershyzer drill. When you shift out of Hershyzer, it should feel more like the backswing part of Double Dragon. Roll off the rear foot should feel like it helps complete that "pendulum" part of the shift. I'll try to show what I mean about what's missing.

McBeth has a little pendulum running from his head thru his spine that you can see when you learn to look for it:
QUK28Wu.png

In double dragon and hershyzer, this is what I'm talking about. Double dragon really exaggerates it. While throwing a lot of sledgehammers without getting hurt, I assure you that this is there and part of the best (i.e., lowest effort/highest power) shift. Just looks a bit different depending on how people enter the x-step.
fjLLUcz.png

The spine might appear more perpendicular or even canted the other way in Hershyzer, but remember that everything is relative to the posture, not just the ground. It's about moving, not positions. Shift off the rear side functions like this - whole body feels a little like a pendulum with your ass being the weight at the bottom. Notice in slide 1 that if he kept kicking back farther, it would turn into the backswing of Double Dragon.
1690284672645.png

FWIW it has really helped me to throw weighted objects on hyzer that kind of force the body to play along and really highlight when you're swinging with effort that you don't need.