• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Form check & Analysis please

Yeah, your posture and rear leg/knee extension bad habit is very ingrained. Would probably help to raise your rear foot up on something like a cinder block or big downhill lie to make you have to drop into the plant instead of extend.

Note on DD drill, grab a disc with left hand(double dragon/not single dragon arm) and start your backswing with a lefty backhand and go all the way thru back and forth almost throwing both directions lefty/righty before actually throwing. You are doing a very short/controlled swing/backswing. Loosen up with it, make it fluid back and forth, don't care about where the disc goes.

Also agree that throwing while injured is not really good way to make better new habits as you will be making subconscious compensations.

Also agree that throwing while injured is not really good way to make better new habits as you will be making subconscious compensations.

I see. I'll be taking a break then for a month or two. Muscle strains take 3-4 weeks to heal. I'll be back. Time goes fast. I don't want to make subconscious compensations.

What do you think about this video SW?

0:00 - 0:16 (Hanging foot and showing normal position for my foot)

0:17 - 0:43 (walking and showing feet at the same time to show the foot angles when I'm walking)

0:44 - 1:14 (Showing my feet range of motion. It was shown in the golf video that if I can rotate feet both ways fully 180 degrees to the right and left then my feet should be straight stanced, closed, not open. Turning my hip a little more will help me rotate the foot even more. I forgot if I was supposed to turn the hip or not. In the video, I turned my hop to rotate my feet more.)

1:15 - 2:18 (Posture and showing my high bar squat form with imaginary barbell 60kg squat)

2:19 - 4:07 (Part 2 of talking about posture and whether I had a good posture there or not. Also showing the location of the pain that is haunting me and not allowing me to play. That's where I hurt myself)

You have great flexibility in the hips, you have about 45 degrees more IR RoM than I can do, and about same ER RoM. Your natural walk looks slightly ER, similar to me.

You want more deadlift / hip hinge pattern, rather than squat pattern with more knee bend and spine extension.

What about this, SW?

0:00 - 1:59 (Feet position. What should it be for me?

2:00 - 2:55 (deadlift 70kg example position and posture)

Last edited:
Your hips are similar to mine then. Your intuition is correct with placement.

Deadlift looked better until you bent your knees. Knees shouldn't really bend more until you start moving around.

Intuition meaning:

1) the ability to understand something instinctively, without the need for conscious reasoning.
Example: we shall allow our intuition to guide us

2) a thing that one knows or considers likely from instinctive feeling rather than conscious reasoning.

All I know from Shawn Clement video is that a correct feet placement will allow me to have a full hip rotation for more effortlessly golf swing and clearing the hips out of the way easily.

I assume:
1) My feet stance for both legs feet can be 90 degrees closed and forward instead of open or inside closed.
2) I assume my rear leg foot can be slightly open and plant leg foot closed 90 degrees.
3) I assume both of my legs feet can be slightly open stanced.
4) I assume my rear leg foot can be closed 90 degrees and plant leg foot slightly open.

Many options. I don't consciously think about my feet placement. I just focus on walking directly towards my target line. As long as I feel off-balance, it will feel okay but I may not be able to get the full range of motion for my hips due to wrong feet placement most likely. If my hips are similar to yours as you've said then what could be the correct feet placement for full range of motion for my hips?

Posture and correct feet placement is one of the keys for easier weigh shifting and effortless swing in my opinion. I may be wrong but that's what I've learned so far from here.

I made a video. Thoughts?

I added subtitles cause my accent and wording is hard to understand even for me sometimes.

Full screen to see subtitles.

All I know from Shawn Clement video is that a correct feet placement will allow me to have a full hip rotation for more effortlessly golf swing and clearing the hips out of the way easily.

Want to help you simplify your thinking/get you a little more "out of your head."

The good news for you is that your IR/ER is close enough to SW's that you can probably more closely emulate his foot angles and work in that space for drills and throws. I am also "lucky" in that front because my natural angulation is pretty close to SW's within a few degrees, so I tend to pay more attention to his exact movements and pros with similar foot angles. As a result, If I can't get the move with a similar foot angle to SW know something is probably wrong with how I'm moving.

Got any sideview slowmotion recorded recently? Read through most of the thread and was just curious to how your form is (from the side).

Got any sideview slowmotion recorded recently? Read through most of the thread and was just curious to how your form is (from the side).

Doesn't matter what my form is which you can find few pages back. I have bad posture and bad habit with my rear leg and probably my swing is wrong too. I have to start over.

Hello again,

4.5kg hammer arrived

But it's frikin long. I'm not sure I will be able to use it for practicing hammer drill and throwing it.

What was the weight I should buy the hammer in? Let me know in lbs, pounds or kg.

Please advise what hammer should I buy and where. I don't want a long hammer.

Edit: Maybe kettle bell is also a good choice? 3kg kettle bell for example?

Last edited:
Heavy long levers are good for throwing outside. Keep that one around and try to 360, 720, 1080 like SW had me do once. I did it with long-handled full sledgehammers 10+ lbs.

You can try moves like this outside (please don't try this inside with a hammer that big ;-)

Small standard claw hammers are fine inside like he's doing there.

I liked throwing 1-3lb short hammer handles and mallets outside too.

Heavy long levers are good for throwing outside. Keep that one around and try to 360, 720, 1080 like SW had me do once. I did it with long-handled full sledgehammers 10+ lbs.

You can try moves like this outside (please don't try this inside with a hammer that big ;-)

Small standard claw hammers are fine inside like he's doing there.

I liked throwing 1-3lb short hammer handles and mallets outside too.

How should I hold it though? Close to the hammer (metal part) or close to the lever edge, far away from hammer (metal part) or do it both ways for hammer drill?

Edit: How should I throw it? By holding it closer to the metal part or hold it from lever edge, away from metal part?

Edit: Hold it away from metal part (lever edge). Example: Same way SW is holding it in his thumbnail video, at the edge of the level basically. Like that for throwing that long hammer?

In general more like you would when powering a swing to hit a nail with maximum force - hand on the handle farther from the head.

Edit: for the sledgehammer you might want to choke up a bit while you learn to control it. Then play with gripping nearer the base of the handle.

Pay close attention to how he is leveraging the hammer out leading with the elbow - how much the elbow bends will be a sweet spot depending on the hammer and the swing style.

The idea here isn't to end up with precisely the same thing with a disc, because obviously the grip and weight of a disc are a bit different - it's about squaring up the leverage and posture so that when your arm swings through it's connecting the force from the ground allllll the way to the hammer head.

The sledgehammer swings helped me get a sense for the difference between when the hammer was swinging me, or I was swinging the hammer. If you do it on that tilted axis like a sledgehammer you really get a sense for where the centrifugal force of the body and arm come into play. When I would plant to actually release the hammer I started to get a feel for how the force transfer would come through the arm and how firmly I could get grounded in the plant.

Obviously like everything else this doesn't seem to click for everyone right away. But it really helped me.

Last edited:
Hello :)

I am back after recovering fully from lower back injury from disc golf throws and rolled ankle injury from soccer.

I have made a long 5:47 minute video which includes fast and slow mo for disc throws, hammer throws and 360 throws.

The hammer weight is 2 kilograms.

I have many quesions like:
1) Why is my arm speed so slow when looking at my own throws? It feels like it's in upper 50's mph or mid 60s mph.
2) How do I increase the arm speed to 70's realm and higher?
3) How do I make my body rotate faster for more velocity to the disc to gain more distance?
4) How do you like my form?
5) What changes should I make to my form?
6) What common mistakes am I doing when throwing?
7) What should I do? :D

Video below, timestamps included in YouTube in case you want to skip watching the whole video and get to analyzing:

I want to make one thing clear. I want to achieve 450 ft laser throw and with a little bit of flex line, 500+. I have no issues reaching 400 ft laser throw at all, in fact, it is easy but something is stopping me from going further and I have no clue what it could be. If I tense up my muscles and death grip the disc with lots of pressure with the thumb onto disc flight plate, it sometime ends with less distance and could cause accuracy issue to me.

Thank you and I will be waiting for the response patiently.

I fixed a little bit of my form. Should I upload it here or keep improvising it? I know what else I need to improvise atm.

1. You muscled the hammer(and disc).

2. Your rear knee is extending into the plant instead of bending. So you rise instead of fall into the plant, and lose rear hip depth.

1. You muscled the hammer(and disc).

2. Your rear knee is extending into the plant instead of bending. So you rise instead of fall into the plant, and lose rear hip depth.

What about now?
1) I kept my body + arm relaxed to avoid muscling. Please confirm if I'm still muscling it or hard to see due to the blur? (Arm speed too fast for 240 fps?)
2) I added 3 attachments. Middle and right image, is this what you mean when you say that the rear knee is extending instead of falling into the plant? If yes, how to fix this? Go to some place where I can stay on the hill that goes up and try to throw or anything else?

Attachments

• IMG_20230621_214935.jpg
    IMG_20230621_214935.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230621_214947.jpg
    IMG_20230621_214947.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230621_214957.jpg
    IMG_20230621_214957.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

How to fix my rear leg to make it look same as yours, Drew and any other pro's leg? Mine really does not do anything and does not help with anything I think and that's where I lose some distance perhaps?