• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need opinions on a touchy subject. Bags.

For the amout of discs you want to carry...20+? That takes the Grip and GB bag out.

This is false. The GB simian is designed to hold 16 in main compartment. 2 putter pockets that can hold 2 each. 2 side pockets that can hold 4 each. A bottom pocket that can hold 4. Do the math, it holds over 30 if you want.

Since you are in KS, if I'm correct, most of the courses you play are fairly flat. If that's the case don't spend a ton of money on a bag. Instead get a gun buggy.

images

You can use your current bag or get an inexpensive large capacity bag. Lightweight, well built, and perfectly suited to our game. Several folks around here have them and I'm told Santa is getting me one for Christmas. And its on sale right now at Cabelas for only $130.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1209571&productVariantId=297072&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google|230756_Shooting+Accessories_Clay+Shooting|USA&WT.z_mc_id1=sZ9iRSDh3&rid=20&pcrid=17082802125

Since you are in KS, if I'm correct, most of the courses you play are fairly flat. If that's the case don't spend a ton of money on a bag. Instead get a gun buggy.

images

You can use your current bag or get an inexpensive large capacity bag. Lightweight, well built, and perfectly suited to our game. Several folks around here have them and I'm told Santa is getting me one for Christmas. And its on sale right now at Cabelas for only $130.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1209571&productVariantId=297072&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google|230756_Shooting+Accessories_Clay+Shooting|USA&WT.z_mc_id1=sZ9iRSDh3&rid=20&pcrid=17082802125

People let you play through because you've got a "stroller"!

Some really great responses thanks guys. I love the look and design of the grip bags but I looked on his site and everything is out of stock. The mahal looks like the type of bag you'd never need to buy another bag so that's a plus. It's just not so cool in the looks department but I don't mind so much how it looks I want function first. I need to look more at the gorilla boy and flak. I like hyzer bomb I have one of the cheap shoulder sling bags they did for twenty five bucks but with the bladder in it I only can fit a few discs. I know I said I don't care what I look like on the course but I just don't know if I could ever be that guy who pushes a stroller. But yeah the terrain is pretty flat and a lot of people use them here. I'll consider it. I like the looks of the GGGT one but it's pricey.

Which backpack designs have a pouch to put your hydration bladder in? I thought the grip did and a few others. I like the flak, grip, and mahal as front runners but with all three of those once I decide on it how fast can I get one? The flaks I know have to be preordered, the mahals take forever, and grip bags are hardly ever in stock. I appreciate the responses. Please keep them coming.

I really like the yoke system the mahal has I need to look into that more. Sounds like it makes the comfort factor a huge plus.

Gorilla Boy Simian is the best IMO. I have only owned the Simian and Grip though. It doesn't hold as much plastic in the main compartment but if necessary you can fit multiple discs into the side pockets with ease. Lot's of storage room. Seat is super convenient and comfortable (I hate carrying a stool.) It feels a bit heavier than the grip bag but more comfortable to carry for extended periods in my experience. Giant drinks fit better and aren't annoying. Nifty pockets everywhere. Hand made and feels indestructible.

bags

ok, i thinkim the bag expert here since i have owned damn near every bag out there and im still in counseling for being a bagaholic. GO WITH THE MAHAL. I also own a prodiscus bag and i use it for tournament play. Thinking about my golf mahal as i write this makes my eyes beam with sunshine and rainbows, i cant tell you how awesome that thing is. i carry 34 disc around when i play casual rounds. it's amazing. but i must say the prodiscus is an extremely close second. the grip bag totally sucked for me.

Some really great responses thanks guys. I love the look and design of the grip bags but I looked on his site and everything is out of stock. The mahal looks like the type of bag you'd never need to buy another bag so that's a plus. It's just not so cool in the looks department but I don't mind so much how it looks I want function first. I need to look more at the gorilla boy and flak. I like hyzer bomb I have one of the cheap shoulder sling bags they did for twenty five bucks but with the bladder in it I only can fit a few discs. I know I said I don't care what I look like on the course but I just don't know if I could ever be that guy who pushes a stroller. But yeah the terrain is pretty flat and a lot of people use them here. I'll consider it. I like the looks of the GGGT one but it's pricey.

Which backpack designs have a pouch to put your hydration bladder in? I thought the grip did and a few others. I like the flak, grip, and mahal as front runners but with all three of those once I decide on it how fast can I get one? The flaks I know have to be preordered, the mahals take forever, and grip bags are hardly ever in stock. I appreciate the responses. Please keep them coming.

I really like the yoke system the mahal has I need to look into that more. Sounds like it makes the comfort factor a huge plus.
If possible, try and check out the bags in person. That might help you with your sellection? I say this, because my impression of the Mahal was that it was HUGE! Turns out it wasn't the case at all.

One other big thing to consider. Is I would scratch any bag off my wish list that wasn't made of Cordura or similar treated materials. Nylon just wears out to quick and if you snag the Nylon, it's over!

This is false. The GB simian is designed to hold 16 in main compartment. 2 putter pockets that can hold 2 each. 2 side pockets that can hold 4 each. A bottom pocket that can hold 4. Do the math, it holds over 30 if you want.

Well, you can fit like 40+ if you cram them. But you can only reasonably carry about 24-5 and still carry other stuff imo.

Revo backpack is decent. Grip is decent if you carry less mids/putters and more drivers. Sim is nice but i was wanting more versatile space. So I bought a mahal. Best bag (for me) that ive used so far. Quality is just as good as anything you can buy.
Im thinking of trying a prodiscus. Its got everything i liked in the grip and more space. We'll see. If you arent a bag whore, and want a new functional, quality, versatile bag, go mahal. If youre a bag whore, save your money, youll just want a new one in 6 months.

Grip is decent if you carry less mids/putters and more drivers.

You can put the putters up top, 3 comfortably, in the 2nd pocket you can fit 2 (not designed for discs but it works. I personally keep a towel in that pocket with my phone n smokes), you can put your wide diameter discs in the middle of your bag, and your drivers and fairways on the sides. It's pretty good space and great quality. I haven't owned any others that would be beneficial to the post, so I can't really say more.

I love my grip. But I can't ever see myself carrying so many discs that I would need more bag either. I've seen both a mahal and a simian in person and they both looked great and felt good on the back. For me though the mahal was too much bag, and the fact that my local disc shop had a grip in stock when I had the cash didn't hurt either, lol.

I see your point, but I was talking about true disc space. I have a Karma bag and fit 22 in the compartment designed for the discs, but sure I could stuff the side pockets with another 4 to 6 disc in each and 3 more in the putter. What good is that? Now you have no room to carry other stuff. Plus I suck at math, so I won't bother adding this up. Oh, what the heck...22 + 4 + 4 + 3 = .....wait, don't tell me!.....uhm.......Ooooo f**k it! I give up!

I just recently got the Gateway Ozark Back pack and have been extremely pleased. $119 plus shipping, and Dave included any 4 discs of my choice!

If possible, try and check out the bags in person. That might help you with your sellection? I say this, because my impression of the Mahal was that it was HUGE! Turns out it wasn't the case at all.

One other big thing to consider. Is I would scratch any bag off my wish list that wasn't made of Cordura or similar treated materials. Nylon just wears out to quick and if you snag the Nylon, it's over!

That's a good suggestion. I can probably feel up a Grip but I don't know anyone who has the Mahal. It does appear and sound like too much bag but I like the fact you can collapse the side pockets if needed.

Any of them have both drink pockets and a bladder pouch? I was thinking the Grip did but not sure. What type of turnaround time is expected on these if not in stock?

That's a good suggestion. I can probably feel up a Grip but I don't know anyone who has the Mahal. It does appear and sound like too much bag but I like the fact you can collapse the side pockets if needed.

Any of them have both drink pockets and a bladder pouch? I was thinking the Grip did but not sure. What type of turnaround time is expected on these if not in stock?

Ask some people at a tourney to check out their bags. No one will ever say no. People love showing off their bags.:thmbup: I checked out the Grip, Mahal, Phenix, what ever the gaint voodoo is, and the giant bag Philo carries at one of the tourneys this summer. It helped to solidify my choice, and my next purchase will be the Mahal. It's not as pretty, but the most comfy and rode the best. I believe the Mahal even has a place for a bladder.

Latest posts