• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

The zippers are fairly waterproof, but the fabric is water-resistant at best. It will bead & shed water to a point, but eventually get saturated. So really the biggest threat is rain soaking through the fabric, not sneaking through zippers. I'm not really a big fan of zipping it all up, either, just because that encumbers access. Just leaving the putter pocket out but flapping open, and same for the main disc compartment cover, provides a good combination of weather protection vs. access.

Another thing to consider is the umbrella holding side pocket on the Octo. I'm not a big fan of umbrellas, because rain is so often accompanied by wind. However, in calm rainy conditions, the umbrella holder will protect the bag from rainfall. (Although it doesn't cover the bottom of the pack when you set it down in a wet area, which is another benefit of the rain fly.)

If you don't plan to play in the rain then rainfly is an unnecessary luxury at best. Even in light drizzle, the pocket flaps do a decent job of keeping the discs protected, and a good towel or 2 will help get you through most light weather events.

Here in Montana, the weather can change so fast that I have the rainfly in a side pocket pretty much full time. But, I know it's not like that everywhere.

Just curious, what's your plan for the extra insert? The new Octos come with 1 insert, which I use but it does eat up a lot of storage space in the lower side pocket. I would not want 2 inserts. (But, I also have an insulated tube that holds 2-3 beverage cans, that fits perfectly in the tall side pocket next to a rain jacket. So that kind of takes the place of an extra insert, I suppose.)

That's so funny you say that. Levi called me before he shipped the bag out today to make sure I wanted the second insert and didn't order it by accident.

I got the second one because I like keeping things organized in the bag and the extra insert keeps things separated in those side pockets. I doubt I will be putting discs in there as I rarely bag more than 22 discs (usually in the 18-20 range). Also, I wanted to have more insulation for the multiple chilled beverages I may require during a casual round.

That's so funny you say that. Levi called me before he shipped the bag out today to make sure I wanted the second insert and didn't order it by accident.

I got the second one because I like keeping things organized in the bag and the extra insert keeps things separated in those side pockets. I doubt I will be putting discs in there as I rarely bag more than 22 discs (usually in the 18-20 range). Also, I wanted to have more insulation for the multiple chilled beverages I may require during a casual round.

You're smart.

I have the old Octo, with separate bottle holder/small pocket on one side. And I have an insert in the other.

I don't need more room for discs. I need more spots for other essentials.

Uggh, won't get here until next friday! Did I mention that I also got a toolbox to go with it? Couldnt resist it mainly because I always keep 20 ish discs inside the car besides the ones that are in the bag so it is nice to have something to keep them in. How do you guys like the toolbox?

The Toolboxes do look pretty nice. I couldn't justify the price, tho, when it serves about the same purpose as a $5 Tupperware bin.

I also tend to keep my old bag (Flak3) in my car during the disc season, with basically an entire backup set of every disc I typically carry in the Octo. Especially during tournaments, it's so nice to have a 1-for-1 replacement on hand for any disc that I might lose, break, etc.

Flak3 actually has extra storage for towels, snacks, etc. So it's even more functional than a Pound Toolbox. Definitely not as sexy, though.

Got my Toolbox and Optothorpe in the mail today. They just ooze quality. I really like the 2nd pocket insert. It lets me organize the bag exactly how I want it. The new Sexton color way of orange and charcoal looks sick too.

I'm glad I did not get the haul, the thorpe fits more discs than I really need without using the side pockets at all.

Want to order a Carlton and a matching Toolbox, but it´s HARD to know which colors is which. . lots of different green and gray but no way to see which is which

After seeing a few video reviews on the Carlton, I'm pretty well sold. Levi's videos left a lot of detail about the application of the bag and how things fit that left me wanting to see more. It's basically what I wanted it to be, in comparison to the Shift. I'm 100% on board with getting a custom color Carlton this spring. Looking forward to seeing their live bag builder so I can really figure out the colors I want (will be Brewers themed for sure)

Instead of a custom carlton I ended up getting an octothorpe! Got the 2018 electric blue version. Haven't gotten to play a round yet (Wisconsin winter is LONG this year, still only playing on weekends) but loading it up and wearing it, such a big difference in comfort from my UPD Shift and GripEQ BX. Can't wait to get out and use it. 20-22 discs seems to be the sweet spot in disc loadout for me with this bag, which will allow me to carry more utility discs if needed.

A couple of rounds in with my Octo now. It's amazing to me what they've been able to do with a bag this size. The comfort level is so good compared to a gripeq Bx while holding a bigger loadout. I have much, much less back fatigue using a larger bag?? How is that even possible?

If you're a dedicated disc golfer, this is an amazing investment. I've tried a lot of bags over the years (Grip A series, Bx, UPD Rebel, Shift, DD Ranger, and strap bags like the GB Silverback and Revo Carolina) and none of them match the quality or comfort of the Octothorpe. The shift still has a place for me as a really light and comfy bag for a smaller loadout (16ish discs) but I'll carry an Octothorpe for the vast majority of my rounds until I can't play anymore or I'm dead.

A couple of rounds in with my Octo now. It's amazing to me what they've been able to do with a bag this size. The comfort level is so good compared to a gripeq Bx while holding a bigger loadout. I have much, much less back fatigue using a larger bag?? How is that even possible?

If you're a dedicated disc golfer, this is an amazing investment. I've tried a lot of bags over the years (Grip A series, Bx, UPD Rebel, Shift, DD Ranger, and strap bags like the GB Silverback and Revo Carolina) and none of them match the quality or comfort of the Octothorpe. The shift still has a place for me as a really light and comfy bag for a smaller loadout (16ish discs) but I'll carry an Octothorpe for the vast majority of my rounds until I can't play anymore or I'm dead.

Well now I'm even more excited to get mine.
And funny, I'll be running the same pair...Octo and Shift.

the custom bag builder is live now on Pounds website. . fun to build "strange" color combos :)

Yeah, I pulled the trigger finally on Friday night. I also will be on the Octo/Shift train. Rebel will be going to the EZ Cart/backup slot for now.