• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Championship Course-Pittsburgh, PA Est. 2018

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Coming next year in Cranberry Township, PA, a city 30 minutes outside of downtown Pittsburgh, 40 minutes from two top 25 courses (Moraine State Park and Deer Lakes Park) and 15 minutes from the highly rated Knob Hill Park, (All Worlds Courses from 2015) is a new course at North Boundary Park.

This course will be designed to be one of the best, set through the woods on the unchartered territory next to this park. Hilly terrain, mature trees will set this course up to be one of the most challenging in the area.

Every year, the Cranberry Township community has a project of the year, (POTY) and this year it is the new Disc Golf Course, as well as nature trails at the North Boundary Park. For this project, there will be an overall budget of 265,000 dollars, which will obviously be enough for a world-class course.

The course will have three sets of concrete tee pads, and from the long tees will be a 10,000+ foot layout, challenging the toughest of pros, while the shorts will be tough, but accessible for the more recreational player. It will be designed by the same people that brought the World's courses, headlined by Hall of Famer and Innova Ambassador Team member J. Gary Dropcho.

Along with the 18 hole course, a permanent six hole ADA accessible/Learn to play/Warm-up course will be placed on site to introduce new players to the game. On top of that, a temporary putter course will be set up at the Cranberry Community day July 12-14, 2017 to help grow the sport in the area.

I look forward to updating this thread as time goes on, and I hope that people are excited for this course. As good as the club and courses are in this area, this course will for sure provide a world class course to an already established disc golf mecca.

Please feel free to ask questions as this is all put in to place!

Sounds like a great addition to what was already a wonderful DG city. I hope the enlist the right people to design it.

I've seen examples of cities saying they were putting in championship caliber courses that ended up fair to middlin'... or worse.

Sounds like a great addition to what was already a wonderful DG city. I hope the enlist the right people to design it.

I've seen examples of cities saying they were putting in championship caliber courses that ended up fair to middlin'... or worse.

It's the same designer as Moraine and Deer Lakes. (J Gary Dropcho) HOFer and Innova Ambassador.

The land is nice for it too. A temporary map is made, definitely not final, but it looks great.

It's the same designer as Moraine and Deer Lakes. (J Gary Dropcho) HOFer and Innova Ambassador.

The land is nice for it too. A temporary map is made, definitely not final, but it looks great.
*contemplates road trip to the Burgh* :D

Been there, done that, enjoyed it! Want to make sure new course is ready to go before repeating, but thanks for the heads up!

Definitely excited for this. Having some substantial funding and J Gary as a designer, I can't see how this will be anything but awesome. Do you know how soon construction is starting? Like is this a spring install for the 2018 season, or a summer/fall one to be fully playable 2019? Is the local PFDS club assisting and/or looking for volunteers? :thmbup:

Do you have access to the draft layout?

I live nearby and would be more than happy to help out/volunteer to keep costs down, any info on that?

Any updates on the course development?

I drove through the park a few weeks ago but it looked like most of the course is set in the woods so I didn't see much.

I have not updated this thread in a while, but thought I'd give a quick update...

All 18 baskets are in, almost every hole has three concrete tee pads poured, tee signs will be in within the next two months, and the club continues to clear brush, trim trees, and make improvements every week.

While the course is still rough around the edges, it is shaping up to be a absolute monster. The elevation change and overall distance make it a 3 hour round. If you are in the area, I would consider it playable, but it won't be tournament ready for another few months. Hopefully by Spring of next year it will be ready for events.

I'll be headed to Pittsburgh this weekend and plan on hitting North Boundary (along with Moraine and Deer Lakes). I'll probably get a round in at North Boundary on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. Is it obvious where the first tee is? Are there tee signs yet? Is it easy enough to navigate for a solo first-timer? Any other pieces of advice?

Four Miles?

Here is a public radio report on the course that claims players will have to walk four miles to play 18 holes.

Very close to true. I've probably played the course 5 times now, and it's a workout for sure. Probably the most of any course I've played. Loads of fun though. Tee signs and more will be added this spring, official opening is in June.

Very close to true. I've probably played the course 5 times now, and it's a workout for sure. Probably the most of any course I've played. Loads of fun though. Tee signs and more will be added this spring, official opening is in June.

My home courses are both at about 6,400 feet in total tee-to-basket distance. I have always figured that playing each course is a little less than a two mile walk. Even at ~10,000 feet, it's hard to imagine four miles unless there is an awful lot of walking between baskets and tees or severe elevation with switchback trails or something like that. It still sounds like an awesome course, but four miles of walking for one round - :eek:.

Cool video documenting the recent grand opening and a playthrough of the front 9. Back 9 to come soon. Credit to Disc Golf Examiner:

https://youtu.be/SIQ3_YFl-j0

edit: apologies, couldn't get a youtube video embedded here

Here you go (only copypasta the URL after the equals sign, not the yutobe.com/watch? part)

EDIT: The URL you linked was weird, I had to go to the DGE youtube page and re-click on the video to get a normal one.

Latest posts