• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Disc Golfer problems.

JaKyJe

My buddies got me into disc golf a few weeks ago I've played 2 courses a total of 6 times. We play every hole is a par 3 no matter what it is and I've fished a best at +6 and a worst at +12. I took their advice on discs to get and so right now I have:

Pro Valkyrie @168
Champion Wraith @172
Shark @180
R-Pro Hydra @170

I have a few problems, driving I'm not to bad at I'm a little inconsistent and my disk will just look like a huge curve ball and die right away. (Sorry i don't know all the terminology yet.) Then other times I throw it and my buddies can't believe how good I am for being so new. I know this is due to form, I was a baseball pitcher and I can huck the hell out of stuff, I've noticed when I don't snap my elbow and keep it all in the wrists it does good, but sometimes I forget about that and just try to launch the thing.

My biggest problems is putting, they told me to get a Hydra but I just cant keep the damn thing straight even from 10 feet away it always hooks on me right around the edge of the basket. Is this because I'm throwing to soft?

Basically how does my setup look for a beginner? Is there any other disc I should look into? My Shark is probably my favorite disk as its the most consistent for me, I use my Valkyrie for tomahawking and it works wonderful, I use the Wraith for just long distance driving and obviously the hydra when putting.

I really like this sport the more I play and I'm looking forward to any tips you guys can give me.

The guy at the disc golf store said I should go with lighter discs since I'm big (read 6 foot 3 170 pounds) but my friends all say I need a heavier disk because I over power the shit out of everything that's light. Any help is appreicated.

Pro Valkyrie @168
Champion Wraith @172
Shark @180
R-Pro Hydra @170

Set the Valk and Wraith aside for a while and pick yourself up a 165g-170g champ Leopard. The Shark is fine, maybe a bit on the heavy side. And as far as a putter goes, find one that feels good in your hand because any putter can work.

I start all my friends who are new to disc golf with a Leopard and a putter. Learn to throw straight and flat, then on curved lines, hyzer/anhyzer, helix/flex lines, so on and so forth. Once you start pushing the Leopard past 250 feet that Valkyrie and maybe even the Wraith will be much more useful.

Have fun! :)

like the previous poster said put the drives down for a while. go get 2 dx cheetahs around 170 go to a field and throw the shit out of them. for a putter feel is the ticket. go fondle all you can and when you find one buy 2 and practice putting

I take it since you mentioned baseball you're throwing sidearm/forehand? Be careful with your form. For some people it's very easy to generate power throwing FH, but it's also very easy to get sloppy and launch the disc without much spin and on a bad angle (turning your hand over/under during ejection), all of which lead to a bad flight. The worst part is that many beginners think it's the discs fault and go look for more overstable discs, ones that can take a bad throw and still fly "OK". Don't be that guy, really focus on learning good form when you're starting out. Flicking slower speed drivers, midranges and especially putters is a good way to practice. Definitely check out the "Incomplete Secret Technique" thread.

Im playing tomorrow and I will pick up a Leopard but my buddy says to try an Orc instead, I only want to buy one more disc so what do you guys suggest?

Orc will want to do more of that "curve ball" thing you described than your Valkyrie, and roughly the same as the Wraith. Leopard is a straighter, more forgiving disc because of its slower speed (smaller rim width) and blunter nose.

I do think it would be alright to keep the Valkyrie around. Maybe drop it for a couple weeks while you polish your throw with the Leopard, but a Valkyrie is a good disc to learn nose-angle sensitivity, and it can cover a wide variety of shots at many power levels.

...Basically what LumberJack said.

hey im gabe im from the rockford area and i usually go to the course in kirkland. if your having trouble with consistency try to focus on your form not distance. distance will come with time. i just bought a new buzzz z from disk craft the first day all i did was try to huck it down range. didnt work. today i justed used one step release and all my throws went where i wanted them to go. i also play al holes at par 3 and the first day i went +10 and today i was +4 so it worked.
for putting its all in the wrist you just have to have hold the disk the same time and get into a habit of setting up the same way like a free throw

hopes it helps fell free to contact me if you want to play some time

I got my leopard and it does fly straight I just cant get good distance on it. It was a super windy day though and I only used it for the first 5 holes then I had to use my Wraith the rest of the day, the wind was making disks stupid hard to throw.

If I were you, I'd hit the PM button under gabe007's name and tell him privately why your number is... then remove it from the internet. Just me.

As for discs, that leopard is good for your power level, but it will get pushed around depending on what direction the wind is coming from. BUT if you learn that disc well and learn to read the wind it will still work well for you.

Itchy said:
If I were you, I'd hit the PM button under gabe007's name and tell him privately why your number is... then remove it from the internet. Just me.

As for discs, that leopard is good for your power level, but it will get pushed around depending on what direction the wind is coming from. BUT if you learn that disc well and learn to read the wind it will still work well for you.

Its ok, its easy to block numbers. I plan on practicing tomorrow on empty holes, is it awkward or taboo to play by yourself?

JaKyJe said:
I plan on practicing tomorrow on empty holes, is it awkward or taboo to play by yourself?

Before I joined a league I used to play by myself twice a week. Now I can't go to a local course without running into somebody I know and join up with them. Don't be afraid to talk to people better than you. You'll learn and get better faster, plus you'll have a group to play with.

Also, empty fields and baseball fields are good for practice. I like to practice upshots around the bases of a baseball diamond and hyzers and anhyzers from home to second around the pitchers mound. You don't need a basket to practice.

Latest posts