• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Distance Record?

If all it takes is a video to "encourage" others to do it then it should be a huge problem. We should be seeing signs with Smoky the Bear saying "Only you can prevent Katana fires" and "Don't let your disc turn and burn", there isn't and we don't..... There has to be 100 videos from years and years back with guys doing this very thing. Nothing new here, move along.....

agreed...

I will say this tho.. it is indeed littering. I wonder if somebody at the state park department saw this they'd send him a fine in the mail. He can't deny it was him. He'd have to prove he retrieved the disc. :\

There is some good that came out of this. some unsuspecting hiker was made aware of the sport when they took a destroyer to the dome.

I think it would be cool though to be hiking through a valley and find some sweet plastic. Then look up and imagine which cliff they threw it off of. Who knows, maybe the next Jacks Wild Link commercial will have sasquatch slinging a Z Nuke......... Don't mess with sasquatch!! He eagles par threes!!

I am going to drop a disc out of a plane at 36000 ft to break the "new record". Watch your heads!

Avery looked very happy with it... the little "yay" and clap was a fantastic addition to his throw.

I haven't lost a disc in quite a while, but Avery can't say the same.

Who's to say he didn't go find it?

I threw a disc off a mountain once. Then a few weeks later when I went to do it again right before I threw, it hit me that I was trashing the beautiful environment. So one is all I've ever done. Lucky for me it was a fantastic shot with a blizzard boss that hung in the air for a solid 16 seconds. It was only a 1,000 ft mountain.

It is still littering, but there is a spot in Hawaii where a bunch of locals have taken a toss. Its almost like a disc graveyard down there in the jungle. If anyone wants a bunch of free discs I can point you in the right direction.

Who's to say he didn't go find it?

It is still littering, but there is a spot in Hawaii where a bunch of locals have taken a toss. Its almost like a disc graveyard down there in the jungle. If anyone wants a bunch of free discs I can point you in the right direction.

I doubt he tried to find it. That wouldn't be "Avery".

and send me some GPS coordinates.... I know Solomon.trenton could use some discs on his next trip :)

Avery volenteer to go into the woods? pffftt

Littering? Wow. Lighten up a little. Some backpacker will find it and use it as a plate or something.

Biggest bunch of whiners I've ever seen on a forum. Period.

Littering? Wow. Lighten up a little. Some backpacker will find it and use it as a plate or something.

Biggest bunch of whiners I've ever seen on a forum. Period.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. As many bottles and cans and other useless trash I've found I can't imagine that something that would actually be useful like a disc going to waste from a hiker. Especially if it's a bright colored disc. Someone isn't going to let that sit around. A few discs are not going to come anywhere close to the amount of PRB and Coors Light cans that Discers litter every year. I think everyone needs to lighten up.

i just find it pointless. am i supposed to be impressed by the distance? it still looks like litter but its not like im all worked and gonna call the park rangers.

I just don't see the point of the video. It's not like he's promoting Innova or DiscMania (besides wearing the hat and zip-up). He's just throwing off a mountain. Does he have so many fans that he needs to make pointless vids like this to keep them happy?

And yes, the littering chatter is laughable, too.

I saw a guy throw his putter 900-1000 feet down a ski hill once, but you cant say he normally throws 1000 feet drives with his putter..Any drive for accurate distance would have to be on level ground. Anybody can throw thousands of feet off a mountain top. Maybe ill take a hot air balloon ride and huck a putter for miles so I can be the distance champ someday.

My impersonation of this thread:

WEEEE-OOOOHHHH WEEEE-OOOOHHHH... THIS IS THE FUN POLICE PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE SUPER CEREAL AT ALL TIMES WHEN THROWING DISCS. VIOLATOR!

My impersonation of this thread:

WEEEE-OOOOHHHH WEEEE-OOOOHHHH... THIS IS THE FUN POLICE PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO BE SUPER CEREAL AT ALL TIMES WHEN THROWING DISCS. VIOLATOR!

YEP! It's like people see something that I bet nearly all of them have already either done or wished they could do and because they are jealous of someone else's fun they shoot it down and criticize it to pieces.

it's interesting how people get so angry and upset and start rationalizing how this is incorrect or that it's trying to portray something that it isn't.

humans, we really are a dumb animal (not the non-talking kind).

this video is just a person throwing a disc off a cliff. that's all. it's awesome. i would love to do that. in fact, every cliff i have seen since i started playing disc golf i've envisioned throwing a driver off the top.

Well if this is littering, and people are willing to copy this because someone made a video of it and posted it up on YT, just think of the treasure trove of plastic that might be waiting down there.

IMO, chucking a disc off a mountain would be awesome. I would never hike up and throw a bunch of plastic, that would be a waste. But a disc here and there over the years for the sheer joy of watching it fly on such a grand scale, yes please. Isn't that why we love throwing?

I want to see someone throw a thumber or a Tommy off the Empire State Building....now that would be awesome to see but not to be that person on the ground when that disc comes crashing down to Earth.

Latest posts