• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New from MN, question about hyzers

MNTreekiller

Hi, my name is Taylor. I'm from Plymouth, MN and just started playing last year. I'm wondering what the advantage is to using an oversatble disc for a hyzer vs. a stable disc that can hold a hyzer line. For instance my buzz will hold a hyzer and so will my teebird for longer distance. Why would i need overstable plastic? Thanks for any help!

If you throw straight into a headwind you may find that the Buzzz turns over instead of holding that hyzer line. A more overstable disc will fight the wind better. An overstable disc can also help you turn a sharp corner or get up and down quickly without gliding too far. Overstable discs are also good for specialty shots like thumbers, grenades, etc. where you are most concerned with consistency and not distance.

the quickest reasons off the top of my head:

- when you want a disc that can fade hard even if you throw it flat or even with some anhyzer
- when you want a disc to fade hard then skip continuing the skip to great distances.
- when you want a disc to go straight and penetrate even into a strong headwind.
- when you want to put more torque onto a throw (for any reason you can think of)

you can naturally throw any disc on a hyzer line and it'll hyzer, but sometimes you have a limited ceiling so an over stable disc can be thrown flat or even with a little anhyzer (if its a extremely overstable disc like a drone/gator/firebird/ect) and it'll still fade HARD.

you can throw that buzz on a hyzer line and it'll hold beautifully but sometimes its very windy so if you don't throw it pure it might get caught by the wind and sail away from the intended line, a more over stable disc can fight that. An example of this would be you might have a beat in DX Teebird that can hyzerflip beautifully but if there's a headwind (or huge swirly unpredictable winds) then you might want to throw a more over stable disc like a Brinster Teebird or even more over stable like a firebird to combat the wind.

lots of players can get buy without too many over stable discs especially if they have clean form and their local courses aren't that windy/wooded/ect but you'll notice most professional players (and any seasoned DG player) will have a couple "utility" discs which are very over stable (like a drone/gator or a firebird) just in case. you'll also notice players which stronger/huge power arms can legitimately use a very very over stable disc to their advantage (like simon lizotte using a PD2 as his main/only long distance driver) Steve Brinster using a PD2 or old school first run super beefy Xcalibur.

Overstable discs just want to get to get to the ground faster than Understable ones.

You can actually throw longer fading/more right to left lateral movement with a understable disc on a hyzer vs an OS disc that wants to spike into the ground.

All have a place in the bag really but IMO yes, you can get by without a massively OS disc (specially if you are not throwing very far yet) Learning to control a buzzz/tb on a hyzer is a GREAT tool to have. It also will help you understand WHY you might need a more OS disc at times.

What everyone has already said is on point. Im glad Aim mentioned that stable/US discs can actually go farther laterally right to left on a hyzer. But it wont be as sharp of a turn left as an OS disc

Also sidearm throws produce a lot of torque, so typically people throw discs on the OS side on those shots.

Overstable discs are the best way to throw an up and down spike hyzer. That is an extremely difficult throw to make with anything not OS.

Everyone else covered the other reasons pretty well.

Good insight, thanks for the help. Its awesome to find a site where people are actually active on the forums. I'll probably continue learning with my stable discs and step up to something like a banshee when I feel its needed.

Hi, my name is Taylor. I'm from Plymouth, MN and just started playing last year. I'm wondering what the advantage is to using an oversatble disc for a hyzer vs. a stable disc that can hold a hyzer line. For instance my buzz will hold a hyzer and so will my teebird for longer distance. Why would i need overstable plastic? Thanks for any help!

headWind, crosswind against your directions of fade, overhand, forehand, rollers, forced anhyzer flex shots, skip shots, shorter spike hyzers that cannot afford to travel far laterally. Over stable discs get to ground faster. What aim said is exactly ccorrect.

For the most part neutral/over stable and neutral/understable discs are better IMO, but then again I primarily throw bh.

Last edited:
I keep massively overstable discs in my bag for dead straight spike hyzers. You can get a left to right flight out of a hyzer if the disc is OS enough (rhbh).

Don't forget with very overstable discs like the Banshee you can throw them on an anhyzer and get a big 'S' that fades hard (flex shot). Your Teebird or Buzz won't do that.

I swear ive seen new players throwing flex shots with a teebird or buzz :D

Just wanted to mention you don't need a massively overstable disc for a helix flight. It helps in some situations but there are lots of discs that will naturally turn and fade.

What everyone else said..

And a warm welcome [to the addiction] from Duluth, MN!

Cheers!

I like to think in terms of left, right, straight. I too bag a Buzzz and Teebird. They fit into my straight category. But I also bag a Hornet and an Eagle for those times I have more headwind, I need a harder turn left (LHBH), or I want a more reliable flex shot. I do sacrifice some distance with the OS discs, but I will take accuracy over distance anytime.

And welcome!