• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Putter?

wake_rider

Birdie Member
I've been using KCPro Aviars as a replacement for the medium or soft anode/ions for the past 6 months or so, and in a lot of ways I really like the disc. It's predictable for me, has the right amount of glide (not too much like the MVP's seemed to have for my putting stroke), and not too little. They're great on upshots and will hold a hyzer line really nice, while being able to softly bend them anny and watch them glide out straight.

That all being said, if it's really dry outside, I just cannot grip these things without constantly wetting my fingertips. During humid Oklahoma summers, the KCPro plastic is perfect. During the dry, windy falls and winter, I just cannot seem to get any tack out of the disc without constantly wetting my fingers, and I'm starting to get tired of the taste of Oklahoma red clay.

I felt a Latitude EZE Pure and loved the tack of the disc, and that it was still nice and stiff (not at all into soft putters anymore). However, I noticed its lack of bead and didn't have a chance to toss it. How does it compare to a KCPro Aviar, and are there any other suggestions of a stiff, tacky putter with good stability and not too glidey?

prob not what you want to hear but if you can find any of the older San Marino tooled 12x KC's they are buttah.. i know there are a few of us on here that hoard them tho and they do have a lil higher price tag but yeah imo they are perfection .. I havent messed with the Pure but have heard great things but if you like the bead maybe Wizard, Challenger or Focus? i know i have felt tacky version of all those

I felt a Latitude EZE Pure and loved the tack of the disc, and that it was still nice and stiff (not at all into soft putters anymore). However, I noticed its lack of bead and didn't have a chance to toss it. How does it compare to a KCPro Aviar, and are there any other suggestions of a stiff, tacky putter with good stability and not too glidey?

The Pure is partly going to be what you described you don't want. It's very glidey and VERY straight. It's about the closest thing to a point-and-shoot disc you can find. So it depends on what you mean by "good stability." If you mean it how it's supposed to be used, as a disc that holds the flat line, then it is an extremely stable disc. If you're actually referring to a disc with some overstability, It's not going to fly how you want. It won't fade on its own into the chains. You'd have to put the hyzer on it yourself.

There is a tiny bead on the Pure (splitting hairs here - it is really tiny). I can't really speak much for Pures when it comes to putting, but I love them off the tee. I, like you, prefer firmer plastic with my putters. I bought a ton of the darker pink TM2 Pures when EZE (same plastic) was put on hiatus because I'm worried the Zero line wouldn't be firm enough. I've had zero grip issues here in the Midwest in dry or wet conditions. I am pretty OCD about wiping the dust off my discs though.

As much as I love the EZE plastic, I rarely throw mine anymore after getting an Opto Pure. I can't say enough good about it. If you are wanting to stock up on some of the firmer EZE before Zero comes out, I would recommend making sure you get the ones with weight stickers (instead of printed directly on the disc). The printed weight Mercies I got a while back were very soft compared to the sticker weights. Not sure the Pures are the same way, but I wouldn't risk it.

I'd highly recommend trying the Yeti. The feel of the plastic is nice and grippy which is lacking with KC's, yet its still stiff and doesn't get that floppy feel like the JK's.

I just ordered five G9i Wizards and five softs. I don't like a putter that's too soft, and the Medium Wizard I have now is good. I'll take a teeny bit more grip, though, which between the G9i and the Softs I should get.

Either a DX BB aviar or for colder weather a JK pro aviar. This way you dont actually change much mold/feel wise

Organic wizard. I don't know if they're all the same but mine is super stiff and super tacky. It gets a bit flexible on super hot days but it should be perfect for winter.

I'd highly recommend trying the Yeti. The feel of the plastic is nice and grippy which is lacking with KC's, yet its still stiff and doesn't get that floppy feel like the JK's.

I second that. Yeti's have a decent bead, but are pretty straight. I usually carry one along with an EZE mercy.

I have putt with three different Aviars this year, and with an Ion, and settled in on the Pure. Can't recommend it enough. Get it in max weight and watch the birdies roll in.

I use KC Aviars and have the same dry hand problem in the fall. I just wet the corner of a towel and wipe my fingers on it real quick before I putt. It literally only takes a second and you don't have to lick dirty fingers.

If only you knew what a ss wizard was like... (Hint, it is firm in pretty much every company standard.)

I guess the 100+ Wizards I have in varying firmnesses and plastics doesn't qualify me as a decent judge of how a SS Wizard is not as firm as a KC Pro, especially after about a month of use. Who knew? :|

If you're looking for a KC Pro replacement with some grip, I would recommend the recent G9i run over the basic Mediums. Mine aren't nearly as grippy in the cold, but I had no trouble with them when conditions were dry and mild though.

I'm with the one guy about the older san marino tooled 12x. They start really stiff but once they get beat in they start to have a tackiness / grip like no other. Waxy, chalky goodness. Also, if anyone has these to get rid of, especially if it's a green stamp, pm me!!! Good luck on your putt quest sir :)

Latest posts