• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Rit Formula = No Dying Discs

Im almost tempted to order the pound of black but whos to say theyll really send me the old formula if I request it.

I think you'd have to do a sample.. but they shorted me on the neon, I can't imagine them doing better on the pounds of powder.. I have been considering it too

I'm only a casual dyer, but I ran out to get enough Rit to last for some future dyes today. Found some liquid that wasn't stamped ND at Walmart, and some really old dye at Food Lion. I found a package of solid wine with an xxx07 stamp!

Black was the hardest to find, I got some that was 29210, not sure if that will work or not, there's no ND stamp anywhere inside that I can see.

Here's a pic of the old vs new boxes for other beginners like me. The red is the old box.

dye.jpg

i went and checked one store i usually go to for rit. sadly, all black powder was from this year,all bottles were marked nd. only a few colors were older 2010 stuff. navy,scarlet,dark brown and some other lesss popular colors. black is the most popular according to rit so its definitely going to get scarce unless you go to a store that doesnt stock much to begin with. the store i went to had 5 rows of dye powder and liquid but only kept about 3 box's of each color aside from black,red,royal which there were 6 box's of each.

SUCK DONKEY NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

well, just went through the boxes, most of them I couldn't even read, the ink was all blurry or on a few are missing any kind of ink :thmbdown:

I had the same problem with all of mine that I bought today. I guess I will just have to give them a try. I am keeping all of the packaging and will attempt to return if they don't work.

Black xxx11 doesn't hold a dye hardly at all, if you do it like 25 times (no exaggeration) you can get a very faint dye.

Wine xxx10 works great.

It would probably be more helpful to have the entire lot number to see when during the year they may have switched for a given color. I am tracking everything in a spreadsheet.

Anyone no the best way to post something like that so everyone can see what has been tested??

Ask them to check in the back as well. Grocery stores don't sell Rit very fast or order it very often. They may have some sitting in backstock.

Yahtzee! Not only did I find quite a few xxx10, but a large number of xxx09 and even xxx08. They aren't necessarily colors I use much, but still. I've also come to find out the grocery store prices are ridiculous. I can now see why these have been sitting there for over two years. Not sure if I want to spend that much to know I won't run out here soon, but then again it may be worth the piece of mind.

:gross:

I'm only a casual dyer, but I ran out to get enough Rit to last for some future dyes today. Found some liquid that wasn't stamped ND at Walmart, and some really old dye at Food Lion. I found a package of solid wine with an xxx07 stamp!

Black was the hardest to find, I got some that was 29210, not sure if that will work or not, there's no ND stamp anywhere inside that I can see.

there's still FOOD LIONS!!??? dang lol!!

All the black I have is smeared and unreadable as well. I still hand-cut all my dyes and really don't wanna put the time in if it isn't even gonna dye. I checked King Soopers this morning and found a few boxes with no numbers of any kind. Not sure if that means they are good or bad.

Batch 10 is supposed be the pld batch and Batch 11 the new, but going off of that is not a guarantee, according to Rit dye.

Hi all, Here's some clarification on the new Rit formulas. As previously posted on an earlier thread, some Rit colors have been reformulated and not working on polycarbonates like golf discs. Right now, all the Rit liquid dyes are now packaged with this new formula. The powder dyes are being converted gradually to this new formula. Colors that have been converted are: Royal Blue, Petal Pink, Fuchsia, Cherry Red, and Pearl Grey" I got word today from the technical crew that the lot numbers will NOT be an accurate enough indicator of finding the older formula that works with polycarbonates. The new formula is being marked "ND" on the packaging. So "non-ND" marked packaging is what you are looking for. Also, when ordering directly from Rit online, you can leave a note on the order that you are dyeing plastics and require the old formula. We can ensure that you receive the old powder formula as long as supplies lasts. The exception is that Royal Blue, Petal Pink, Fuchsia, Cherry Red, and Pearl Grey cannot be made into the old formula. The liquid, of course, is not available in the old formula. I will gather up all your comments and concerns and will forward them on to Rit HQ and see what they can do to accommodate having a workable dye for your needs for the future. I'm not sure what is possible but we sure don't want to lose you. Will have more info as it comes in and will be posting officially on the Rit blog as well.

yup... theres ND on a Petal Pink and one of my Fuschias (09711, but not 06811)
other than that I found all working ones

I'm perfectly happy opening boxes.. I spent a while just staring a numbers yesterday

Are those liquid or powder? What is the lot # for the Petal Pink?

Just called RIT customer service to see if the professional line quantities are available in the old formulas. They are supposed to call back with the info. I will post once I here. It looks that may be a cheaper way to by the dye anyway, although I am not sure what I would do with 5 lbs. of Pearl Grey.

Here is dye effectiveness summary based on what has been posted in this thread thus far.

Attachments

• Dye Summary.png
    Dye Summary.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for putting together that spreadsheet.

Aldo with the pro dye someone could buy a 5 lbs lot then sell out batches to others to cover cost. I would buy a lot but RIT does not ship to canada. I would chip in cash for some though

Batch 10 is supposed be the pld batch and Batch 11 the new, but going off of that is not a guarantee, according to Rit dye.

From RIT Dye:
The new formula is being marked "ND" on the packaging. So "non-ND" marked packaging is what you are looking for. Also, when ordering directly from Rit online, you can leave a note on the order that you are dyeing plastics and require the old formula.

Latest posts