• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie question about DG

gdcurry

I've only recently started playing disc golf as a result of a new park opening near my house with a 9-hole course. Previously I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a catch basket for DG.

My question is pretty simple. My daughter (age 21) and I have been playing on this course some and we're really bad. So we're wondering about the "official" catch basket rule regarding what regular golf folks would call "in the hole". Is a chain hit considered in? Or does the disc actually need to be "caught" by the basket? How about a pole hit beneath the basket? An in-and-out that bounces in and the wind takes it back out? Hitting the side of the basket? It's common for us to "slam dunk" a disk that hit the basket and fell very close.

We've decided to be pretty lenient on ourselves so far, because even with taking any touch we're coming in at +20 or more, but we're having fun and getting some exersize, so it's all good.

Still, it would be nice to know what the real rules are, even if we then choose to not play with them.

Thanks,

Doug Curry

if it lands in the basket its in....doesn't matter how it gets in there..as long as it is in there...it can dangle in the chains or whatever

It should be in the basket Doug.

However, you can do whatever you want, as long as you are having fun right?

Are you using DG discs and if so, what discs...maybe a lot of your problems are due to discs not suited to you guys.

Supported by the basket, it can actullay be in the basket or stuck in the side but it has to be supported by the basket, or chains. Not on top.

So far we've been using cheap non-golf recreational discs purchased at discount stores. Just yesterday I received my first DG-specific purchase from Amazon. I thought it was a good starter pack of 3 DG discs (driver, mid-range and putter) with a bag and marker for only $29. I haven't played a round with them yet, but I suspect my score will drop significantly. I like the different flight profiles, I may need to get a set for Jenny also.

Just to clarify a few situations that are bound to arise.

If it lands on top of the basket that isn't considered a finished hole.
If it wedges into or hangs off the lower catch part of the basket that is considered finished.

So to review and clarify: $3 Frisbee at Target - good for figuring out if you want to play disc golf, bad for actually doing well at it.

Also, disc must make it in the basket to count (technically) but drop-ins or "slam dunks" are fine, just make sure it lands in the basket and doesn't bounce out. Disc flying by and nicking the chains is not good enough.

Thanks for all the very quick replies!

What models if discs are they. Valk, Shark, Aviar???? Just a guess

I think he got the generic no-name start kit, but nothing wrong with that.

Yes, your score will drop by a huge margin. Keep at it. Have fun.

If you want your score to drop by an even larger margin upgrade on up to Innova or Discraft.

Having fun is what it is all about. Sounds like you have caught the fever.

good to see that you are able to get out and spend time with your daughter and have fun, whats even more pleasuring to hear is that she is wanting to get out and play disc golf at age 21 w/ her dad

Yeah I would bet you will sink a lot more shots than with a hard plastic lid frisbee.

Amazon sells an Innova "disc golf starter kit" that includes an Archangel, Shark, and Aviar, with a small bag. Maybe that's what he picked up.

At any rate, Doug, resist the temptation to buy anything labeled a "distance driver." You'll be much happier if you start out with a mid-range disc as your driver, and it'll be an easier transition from lids.

So to review and clarify: $3 Frisbee at Target - good for figuring out if you want to play disc golf, bad for actually doing well at it.
So true... I started much the same way. Except that I started with an Aerobie Squidgie disc before upgrading to the $3 Frisbee at Target!

I started playing when there was no such thing as "golf Discs". whamo frisbees all the way.

So far we've been using cheap non-golf recreational discs purchased at discount stores. Just yesterday I received my first DG-specific purchase from Amazon. I thought it was a good starter pack of 3 DG discs (driver, mid-range and putter) with a bag and marker for only $29. I haven't played a round with them yet, but I suspect my score will drop significantly. I like the different flight profiles, I may need to get a set for Jenny also.

Perfect to start with! I played with only a midrange and a putter for the first 3 months ( I lost my driver to the wind and a tree the first time out :D) Search this site before you pick up any other discs. There's too much free information not to help you with your next purchases. Lots of folks with stuff for trade and sale too.

Ask away any question - you'll get plenty of responses. Do a search on the threads first as there may be several threads already devoted (at length) to several issues.

Good luck & it's great to hear your having fun!!!

During the time of dinosaurs or what?:D
otherwise known as the 70's. I should say that there were no discs we knew about where I lived and went to college. No baskets,strictly object and using regular frisbees. When I come to Tyler you can push me around in my wheelchair