• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night disc golf equipment

Darkgreen

Birdie Member
Premium Member
After my first year of playing disc golf, I'm going to start playing at night. Rather, I need to start playing at night because there isn't much daylight after work now and oh my god disc golf is so awesome and I can't go months with only playing on the weekends. There are night leagues starting up soon in my area.

I have some equipment questions. If it matters, I live in northern Minnesota and so I will be playing in cold weather.

First, I'm thinking of getting these:
http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProduct.php?p=660
and I'm wondering what people think of them if they have used them. Maybe a silly question, but do the batteries drain faster in the cold? I would also take suggestions for other lights.

Second, I'm wondering what type of tape I should use. I've heard reinforced packaging tape, clear duct tape, and frost king poly seal tape. Just wondering what works best, and if anyone has any specific recommendations for tape that will work well in the cold and snow.

Third, head lamps. The better courses in my area are pretty rugged. Are head lamps commonly worn to find your footing? If so, any recommendations on what type of head lamp to get?

I've never used those particular lights but I think they'll work well. If you're using champion/elite-z/Opto type plastic I recommend putting the light on the bottom of the disc in the center, with the light facing upwards against the flight plate. As far as tape goes, Gorilla Tape works better than anything else I've tried.

I strongly recommend against head lamps as you'll probably end up blinding the people in your group on a regular basis. My first glow round there was a guy on my card with a head lamp and by the end of the round we all wanted to punch him in the face. Just carry a regular flashlight in your pocket and use it only when necessary as to preserve your night vision.

Something I've heard but never tried is that red light does not effect your night vision, so maybe try to find a flashlight with a red bulb or lense and see how that works.

I've a buddy who has recently started playing night rounds, so going with his comments, the tape-on leds work well on a champion plastic (or equivalent-Evolution, opto line, elite candy, etc). He uses clear packing tape i think. Also, gateway has a new super glow and they are superbright, all BS aside. most glow discs are kinda lame, but this new plastic, it glow brightly enough to actually provide ambient light, of a sort. I recommend that. Lastly, they (not Gateway, the empirical THEY) make UV flashlights that work quite well to charge a glow disc and also provide a non-blinding light to illuminate your surroundings.

^^^Yeah I forgot to mention that glow champion/elite-z and a black light works quite well. I haven't heard of that superglow from gateway though. Where can I find some?

http://gdstour.com
You can call the factory, Dave is pretty cool about hooking it up. Also look for Gateway on Facebook because he offers weekly Facebook specials. Right now they have Wizards, Magics, Elements and Samurai available in the superglow.
And no, I don't work for Gateway, but they are local for me. And pretty decent guys. And you can't beat a Wizard.

yeah get a UV flashlight! they are amazing! work great and work so well that if you have one your idiot friends will ask for it every single hole! i now say i don't have a flash light or bring a little led one for those others...i want my disc to get cooked with rays.

I just got the LED Flight Lights from DGC and am itching to test them... I'm thinking tonight!

Also check out the NiteIze Hole in One light. It's permanent, but pretty awesome. Personally, I don't understand how people play night golf without a headlamp. I play mostly wooded courses, and it's just a pain to bring out a flashlight between every single hole just so you can tell where to walk. And if you're using lighted discs, you can just say goodbye to your night vision. You pretty much have to be without any light for at least 30 seconds to a minute. So if you're using lighted discs, that just isn't going to happen.

I'm in Duluth as well, I assume you're talking about glow league at Mont du Lac right? I've been playing glow golf all winter long for the past 5 or 6 years. Here's what I've learned:

Headlamps and flashlights are not recommended for regular use. I carry a flashlight, but only use it if someone loses a disc and I warn people before turning it on. You'll be able to see just fine once your eyes adjust, just be careful in treacherous spots.

I used to just use the bobber LEDs and still use them occasionally. They work pretty well when they work, but some of them are duds and it can get kinda spendy.

The last couple years I've switched to using plain LEDs (5mm) and watch batteries (CR2025). They're super cheap and really bright. Just put the battery between the two leads and tape it on (longer lead on top of the battery). Make sure you get red ones though, because the other colors are too bright and will kill your night vision. The batteries last longer than the bobber lights. Ebay or Radio Shack are good places to get the lights and batteries. I'll even use these on opaque plastic without too much trouble if they land upside down.

I've found duct tape to work the best. I use clear duct tape over the whole light or regular tape if I'm using bobber lights (leave the end out so you can turn them on and off). The key to not having lights fall off is putting the tape on warm, dry discs. This is very important! I do all my discs before I leave the house. I make sure the tape is pushed down all the way and then wave a lighter over the tape. I didn't have a single light fall off last winter. take the time to do this right, because it really sucks when your light falls off (especially if there's snow).

Hope this helps and maybe I'll see you out there this winter!

Last edited:
Glow discs are best b/c you usually do not need a flashlight or anything else to find them unless they are buried in the schule or under the snow.

If you need to use lights, I would recommend any of the previously mentioned lights. They are all pretty much the same. FWIW, tape them to the bottom of Champion/Z plastic with clear duct tape before you get to the course or while still in the car to ensure the duct tape is applied properly.

From my experience, they do not affect the flight much when taped to the top of DX, star, etc, but it's just one less thing to worry about if you can tape them to the bottom of a transparent disc.

Finally, 1 more reason to use glow discs instead of applying lights: If your disc lands upside down, you will not be able to see the light.

Have fun in the dark!

those particular lights aren't that bright, if you want lights, get some fish lights or just get glow discs and a uv flashlight...

Ive sold about 2000 (not exaggerating) of those DGC lights for use at my glow league over the last 3 years. They work AMAZING HOWEVER there are some issues. They can break, sometimes the connections can be weak (I offer a return policy if they break after a few rounds) if your discs are wet or dirty or new (Blizzard Plastic) packaging tape wont stick. Certain wavelengths of lights are canceled out by the disc color, all champ discs work...but I have had people use them on black wizards and aviars, star plastic, pro, champ...etc... not sure about gold line discs.

Cheap packaging tape works perfect, clear duct tape works perfect, you are only using them for a few hours. They glow like crazy. Light up the woods...so much better than glow discs. A glow disc doesnt look like an ambulance parked in the woods...these do if you have a clear plastic disc. We have some water on the course. I have found discs 2 days later after mud settled, with the light blinking underwater. They give off strong light for 20+ hrs of continued use...longer if you put them on slow blink cycle. ON off buttons.... Ive had regulars use the same lights for 4 months. I left a new one taped to my dashboard for 24 days straight before it ceased to emit some light. 30 hrs and they aren't viable for easy disc retrieval though.

I used to bring UV lights and have a blacklight charging box, forget that. Bobbers stink, these lights rock. They are also a cheap way to light your baskets. Tape them on the pole, or tape a magnet to them. Then collect them after the round. Much cheaper than glow sticks because you can use them for 6-10 rounds at least. So good glowsticks $50 for 10 weeks... these things ~$30 for 10 weeks.

Personally I LOVE glow plastic and there are plenty of glow discs out there. I just use these on glow discs. If it is moist out, I'll give it a quick charge, but I've never had a problem, its just a good back up. If you are a DG Glow hipster purist.. then taping something to your disc or basket might not work for you. We just try to have fun at night, after work.

I keep a nestable mini full of them and a credit card wrapped with tape in my bag this time of year incase it gets a little dark on the course. Light portable way ensure you dont have to lose a disc or leave the course at dusk.

Thanks for all of the advice! Probably going to go with the lights that I mentioned, but I will look into the plain 5 mm LEDs that you mention, discreid. Maybe I will get some of each and try them both out.

Will have to go to the local home improvement store for clear duct tape.

Very useful info. Any and everyone feel free to offer more suggestions. Thanks again.

I just bought 100 5mm red Leds and 50 CR2025 batteries. I use two Leds for 1 battery and the Lights will last for 24hrs easy. They will actually stay dim for around 4 days! but only 24 hrs of life is really usable. I wrap the leds and batteries with tape. I know there is no off switch but I cut a slit in the tape and shove a plastic shim to disconnect the leads to the battery and chunk em in my bag. Total price is 15 shipped from American suppliers. Cheaper if you wait for them to come from Hong Kong.

The Leds I bought are super bright. I keep a glow disc on either side of my lighted disc and it keeps it glowing!

BTW, I love Clear Duct tape because it wont come off or leave residue(never left on for more than a day tho)

Clear duct tape works very well. Works even better if you apply it with a credit card as a squeegie. You can put a ton of pressure on the tiny edge of the card and the tape loves it. Never had a light fall off that way

I just ordered 20 5mm led lights off of ebay for $4.80 shipped. I'll pick up a watch battery at Wal-Mart along w/ some clear tape. I've got two red headlamps, I plan to wear one and hang the other from the basket. Maybe, I'll rig up another couple of LED's to hang on obstacles...

Appreciate the advice guys.

Last edited:
Also, gateway has a new super glow and they are superbright, all BS aside. most glow discs are kinda lame, but this new plastic, it glow brightly enough to actually provide ambient light, of a sort. I recommend that.

199978_10151098465472955_1082015679_n.jpg

So can anyone else give a review of these new 'superglow' discs? Do they really last 12 hours as advertised?

Something I've found over the years of playing in the dark is that LEDs tend to work better when there's more ambient ground light than glow discs and I prefer glow discs to LEDs when you're deep in the woods with no lights around.

Something I've found over the years of playing in the dark is that LEDs tend to work better when there's more ambient ground light than glow discs and I prefer glow discs to LEDs when you're deep in the woods with no lights around.

You need better leds. The ones I use will blind you if the disc is turned over. My experience is that the LEDs are easier to see when its darker, although I have only had crappy glow discs.