• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night discing at a city park.

Phantom Discs

Eagle Member
I have been playing glow rounds at a small park near my house. Very wooded and no one around. I want to play at a course that is not so secluded. There are a few houses and the street by the park gets decent traffic. So my question is. Has anyone had any problems playing after park hours?

There are 2 courses that are in raleigh and they both have lighted tennis courts. Those are both open until 11 so we usually play there. I say contact p and r regarding the hours of the parks.

When I lived in the Twin Cities and away from my family three nights a week, I would play night disc by myself at Kaposia Park all of the time just for something to do. Always felt safe because A) I kept an LED flashlight in my pocket and B) Always kept a knife in the other pocket.

I was never, ever hassled by anyone. I think I only ran into anyone once or twice.

I had a friend who gave me a lot of crap about it, though.

EDIT: Read this as a "Is it safe?" post instead of "Will I get in trouble?" post.

For me? Yes and Never Did.

Paging Um...

I go out and play with him occasionally here in the SD area and haven't had any problems. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and choose the right course. Carrying a heavy flashlight doesn't hurt, either.

For what it's worth, I find night golf exponentially more fun than in the daytime.

It is really upto how much the locals and or police what to harass you. My home course was able to get some permit for night golf.

We're fortunate enough to have a park which is open until 11 every night. Besides that, I will play a couple of courses on private property, where the owners don't seem to mind. But then, I'm not out there drinking and causing a ruckus at 3am, either.

As far as personal safety, most of the time I just consider my 3 D cell maglite my club. I'm more concerned with animals than people though, honestly. I don't want Rabid Rocky Raccoon to take a chunk of my face.

I have been playing glow rounds at a small park near my house. Very wooded and no one around. I want to play at a course that is not so secluded. There are a few houses and the street by the park gets decent traffic. So my question is. Has anyone had any problems playing after park hours?

hmmmm, you talking about garlough? my buddies and i have done that course a few times, if so. nobody ever bothered us. i do keep a knife on me.

i'd expect the cops to bug you more than anybody, unless you somehow angered a hobo.

Police enforcing park hours or responding to complaints of noise would probably be the biggest issue.

I have been arrested while playing frisbee golf at 2 am back in 2001. It was past park hours. Honestly it was so dark I didn't see the cops even walking up to us. We would set up a 20 million candle-power spotlight to tee off.

I have been arrested while playing frisbee golf at 2 am back in 2001. It was past park hours. Honestly it was so dark I didn't see the cops even walking up to us. We would set up a 20 million candle-power spotlight to tee off.

Probably by an officer who played and hated the term "frisbee golf."

:D

My home course is in a city park that's open until 10 PM. It's pretty deserted at that hour, but noone's ever giving me any trouble. Most of it's not very well lit, but once your eyes get adjusted it's not so hard if you know the course. I've bumped into a few other disc golfers out at night.

I did see a cop there once late in the evening, shining his light around in the bushes. Not really sure why - looking for kids? Maybe he lost a disc! Anyhow, it was well within park hours (which admittedly aren't well posted.)

They do occasionally lock the gate at night - and maybe sometimes before the official park closing. So, I have sometimes worried about my car.

I have played a few times on a university course without clearly marked hours, and wondered if they'd mind. One time, campus security was out shining lights, from their car, on certain fields that may have been part of the course. I was a ways off, and just sort of kept playing. I didn't go over and introduce myself, but neither did I hide. I was using glow discs with an LED, and maybe also a UV flashlight. I probably occasionally used a white flashlight. If he'd _wanted_ to find me, he wouldn't have had too much trouble - at least not if he had gotten out of his car.

My park closes at 10pm. It is not worth a $100 ticket to play after that time.

Our course closes at dark, so we need to notify them, (the.city) what nights we will be out playing, when glow season starts

@breynnmike Dang that's pretty rough. I've had an officer stop by and search my friends cars while we were night disc golfing one time. Then of course my friend decides it would be brilliant to charge his glow disc with his high power flashlight. Fortunately, the cop didn't really do anything. Nice avatar by the way! The Descendents are probably one of my all time favorite bands ever.

The cops didn't like us playing in the dark at first, but there was nothing they could do since our park has no official hours. However, now that we have a relationship with them, they have seen the area around the course get cleaned up, and they actually get who we are: they seem to like us being out there. The patrol that goes down the pedestrian path a couple times every night usually stops to watch a hole or two and trash talk us.

@breynnmike Dang that's pretty rough. I've had an officer stop by and search my friends cars while we were night disc golfing one time. Then of course my friend decides it would be brilliant to charge his glow disc with his high power flashlight. Fortunately, the cop didn't really do anything. Nice avatar by the way! The Descendents are probably one of my all time favorite bands ever.

Guess what? It was at Clark Park in Buffalo Grove, one of our favorite courses back in the day. I'm from Palatine by the way. And to top it off the cops in B.G. were making fun of us "stoner" frisbee golfers. Totally trying to rip on us. Morons lol.

Last edited:
Nice! I've played there a few times. Haha sounds like those cops had nothing better to do and decided to heckle you guys. I'm from Arlington Heights, but I'm in DeKalb for school right now. But I've been back to visit every here and there. We should play a round of disc golf sometime if you're up for it.

Latest posts