• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night Time DG?

parrothead57

Par Member
I've only been playing DG for about 4 months now but I'm seriously HOOKED!! I've heard guys talk about playing at night. How many players play at night? I've seen discs that glow in the dark and LEDs you can attach to your disc. Whats the best method? Any advice? I need to feed this addiction!!!

the old fashioned way(glo discs) is cool, but i like taping a mini glo stick to my disc(maybe even 2) doesnt seem to alter the flight much?...its all for good fun at night anyway? with a full moon you might not need anything...a glo stick on the basket in the "sweet spot" is a great idea also

A camera flash works pretty good for charging glowies. Black lights too. You can buy little LED lights pretty cheap to stick on the bottom to, better shelf life than a glow stick.

LED lights for the win.

I have a local course near me that does alot of night glof. The have Tiki torches on top of the baskets, its pretty cool. I love to nail one on long approach sometime.

The only downside to a camera flash is you risk blinding yourself and others for a few minutes at night. The blacklight works well. But for me taping on the small LED lights work great. The Play It Again Sports near me carries them for like 2.99 I think. I did notice it made my discs a tad more overstable, but not much of a difference.

I prefer glow discs with a flash lite. I've tried taping leds, aeropod, and they alter the flight too much to my liking. Its also very bad when the tape comes off after hitting a tree or the ground really hard. Good luck finding the disc then. I haven't tried the light up discs like the black jax axe and such, but I think I'm going to try em one of these days now. I can use my Star Cro which is an off white, if the moon is out I have no problem findin it. The glow or led or light up are cool to watch in flight at nite though.

Also make sure the park is open after dark or doesnt close at 6pm. I found out the hard way by being arrested, although they let me off with a warning. They asked me what I was doin in the park while I have five glow discs and flashlite in my hands! Um...I was smoking crack with these discs and the flashlite shoots fire!

Some areas have glo tourneys. The Charlotte, NC club does one a month at Hornet's Nest. This months tourney is actually tomorrow night around 6:30. They hang a glow stick in the sweet spot!

Basket Lights?

Ok, another question. How do you see the baskets? Do the courses provide lights or is there a product(s) that you can put on the pole? Thanks

I know where the baskets are, but sometimes someone can hold a flashlite on the basket. Some people put leds or glow sticks on the baskets which helps. There are some baskets with lights on them, but I've only seen pictures of them. They look sweet, but I'm sure they are expensive and need power.

I use an Axe disc that has light up blue LEDs built in. It's pretty sweet, and you don't have to go through the hassle of taping anything to the disc or changing the weight of the disc.

I play every week in the late fall and winter (I live in San Diego) and we have tried everything from glow discs, glow sticks, Blackjax light up discs, and finally we have all settled on LED's. I buy an LED and a battery from Radioshack. Put the two prongs on +/- side of the battery and tape it on to the disc. Duct or electrical tape works well. Then just remove it after the round. I have found that this small light impacts the flight of the disc far less than one of the light pods or a glow stick plus they are extremely bright. You can use a light Pod or a Flashlight to mark the holes, but if you are playing on your home course you should know where the baskets and trees are unless you have rotating baskets like we do. Playing during a full moon is another great time.

Some pros are; no lines at tee boxes, free rein of the course, and excuses for poor scores

Some cons; You use one disc for most of your throws, bums may throw your discs back after a good drive or steal them, loss of discs, injury from stepping in a hole, Getting shot at with air soft guns and being propositioned for anonymous anal sex (Only play in groups of three or more to avoid propositions and confusion)

Probably too much information about the weirdness of Morley field, but night golf is a lot of fun and if you live in a more temperate area, a great option to play on week nights.

I've only been playing DG for about 4 months now but I'm seriously HOOKED!! I've heard guys talk about playing at night. How many players play at night? I've seen discs that glow in the dark and LEDs you can attach to your disc. Whats the best method? Any advice? I need to feed this addiction!!!

You can buy LED Lights that you tape to the top of your disc, seems to be the best way.

I use an Axe disc that has light up blue LEDs built in. It's pretty sweet, and you don't have to go through the hassle of taping anything to the disc or changing the weight of the disc.

Buddy of mine has one of these, seems pretty sweet.