• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

no aces after 4 years of playing

Not to be a downer, but I've got a buddy that's been playing for 20 years and still doesn't have an ace.

Whereas I chained out the first time he took me disc'ing. And three weeks later I hit my first one. Followed by a second one the very next day and it was my first tourney ace.

In 2009 and 2010 I played at least a round a day on very short, wooded courses in and around Durham, NC. I racked up 8 or so aces in that period, and none since then. I get to play less since then and have been playing longer courses, so the most I have managed is a couple of Cubby aces. I haven't really gotten any better since 2010, and maybe even worse, despite adding at least 40 ft to my drive. That is kind of sad to admit.

So I guess the point is, if you want your first ace move to NC.

What about guys like cubby. Does anyone believe how many aces that dude says he has?

What about guys like cubby. Does anyone believe how many aces that dude says he has?

Why not? Take a short, open hole and a stack of your favorite mid/putter and practice throwing at the basket and you're bound to get good at getting your disc sail by closely. Have enough discs sail by closely and some are bound to go in. Add the sheer dedication to do that daily for years and you can rack up any number of aces you want. Whether people think those are "real aces" is something the search function can help you find out.

I got my first ace after about the same amount of time. It was the day after the Ace Race using one of the disc's they handed out. I have a friend who has around 8 aces and is equal to me overall in skill and time playing. He even got a lucky skip ace in the ace race. The best player of our group by far just got his first last year after playing for 7 years. This is a guy who rarely ever has to use more than a buzzz and a putter on any course we play.

I had honestly lost count of how many times I hit poles, chains, or baskets before I finally got my first ace. I've even had discs tip up vertically and blow through the chains, or bounce out of the basket.

It's nice to get one under your hat but, consistent low scores are much nicer.

Why not? Take a short, open hole and a stack of your favorite mid/putter and practice throwing at the basket and you're bound to get good at getting your disc sail by closely. Have enough discs sail by closely and some are bound to go in. Add the sheer dedication to do that daily for years and you can rack up any number of aces you want. Whether people think those are "real aces" is something the search function can help you find out.

Sometimes I'll toss extra on short holes when no one is waiting but, I would never consider a second+ shot an Ace. To me an Ace is walking up and your first shot goes in. I would feel like I am cheating myself. Imagine if someone sat at a short Par3 hole on a golf course with a bucket of balls from the driving range. Would you really feel good about yourself telling people you got a hole in one?

aceless

I have been playing casual for around 20 years. Since 2009 I now play most weekends & do disc golf road trips, etc.

I have 0.0 aces. I can count one 1 hand how many times I have hit the basket off the tee.

My most recent almost ace was with a oop Z Reaper that blew apart on impact with the basket on a 275' spike hyzer line. I would prefer my Reaper over the tap in birdie.

I know an ace will come one of these days. Would have come sooner if I play the smaller local parks ex:(Easterlin in Ft. Lauderdale Fl) with most under 300. However, I seem to go for parks with more challenge. For me a birdie on these type holes if satisfaction.

Still looking for an eagle or Ace. birdies till then.

I have been playing casual for around 20 years. Since 2009 I now play most weekends & do disc golf road trips, etc.

I have 0.0 aces. I can count one 1 hand how many times I have hit the basket off the tee.

My most recent almost ace was with a oop Z Reaper that blew apart on impact with the basket on a 275' spike hyzer line. I would prefer my Reaper over the tap in birdie.

I know an ace will come one of these days. Would have come sooner if I play the smaller local parks ex:(Easterlin in Ft. Lauderdale Fl) with most under 300. However, I seem to go for parks with more challenge. For me a birdie on these type holes if satisfaction.

Still looking for an eagle or Ace. birdies till then.

Makes me wonder... if a disc hits the basket and breaks in half evenly with half landing in the basket and the other half on the ground, would it count as in or out?

Makes me wonder... if a disc hits the basket and breaks in half evenly with half landing in the basket and the other half on the ground, would it count as in or out?

Do you really think it is possible for both pieces to be even? Largest piece (by even a little) is your lie.

Im sure this has been mentioned already but not all courses are created equally, some people have it easy (in respect to aces). Aces can be overrated, so you got 20 aces on a 200 foot hole with no trees, thats an upshot in my opinion :|. Whatever. Where some people that may not have aces play technical nice wooded courses with holes over 300-500 ft a piece. Its a different world.

Aces on a pitch 'n putt course are worth 1/2 a point in my opinion anyways…

Dont stress on Aces, have fun. Get your score down on the course, thats what matters. The rest is just bragging rights.

Im sure this has been mentioned already but not all courses are created equally, some people have it easy (in respect to aces). Aces can be overrated, so you got 20 aces on a 200 foot hole with no trees, thats an upshot in my opinion :|. Whatever. Where some people that may not have aces play technical nice wooded courses with holes over 300-500 ft a piece. Its a different world.

Aces on a pitch 'n putt course are worth 1/2 a point in my opinion anyways…

Dont stress on Aces, have fun. Get your score down on the course, thats what matters. The rest is just bragging rights.

but what if you get a an ace on an up hill to downhill blind shot with trees at 179. Is that an easy shot? Whats easier that or 300 wide open?

but what if you get a an ace on an up hill to downhill blind shot with trees at 179. Is that an easy shot? Whats easier that or 300 wide open?

Depends on if you can hit 300. :D

For me right now - I'd have a chance (ok prayer) at the former - but 0.0% chance of hitting a 300' open ace.

Good question. I don't know... All I'm saying. Is some people have 25 aces but what they don't mention is their course is a shorty where you could throw mids and putters all day. Where some are 300'+ WITH wooded shots.

I was trying to make a comparison so some people with no aces might get a perspective. And not get down by it. (Not to take credit away from anyone's aces.Whenever you shoot from the tee to the chains it's a great feeling.)

Latest posts