• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

no aces after 4 years of playing

I have been playing 4-7 rounds a week for almost two years and have 7 aces, one at 275' uphill and one at 375' on the flat, the rest all shorter.

Last month on the same 375' hole that I aced last fall, I hit basket on back to back throws. One top right and the other skiped into center bottom. Both discs ended up less than 6' from the basket. I threw Blizzard Wraiths at full power that, if thrown at full power, peter out at that exact distance (chain high) and I have never ended up further than 15' behind this basket using those discs.

If the basket were 335', I would do the same only with a max weight Leopard or hyzer spike an Orc with an arch reaching up to 60'.

275' the same with a max weight XD or hyzer spike a Teebird from 50' up.

None of those shots would end up more than 15' past the basket, all would have a chance at chains. Use the disc to prevent overshooting, not underpowering a faster disc. An ace should not be an accident nor should going for one be a risk.

Last edited:
There is a hole at one of our courses that is 175ish over a gully. The basket is on top of the hill, one of the course designers wanted to put it on the side of the hill, so if you didn't ace it you would roll down the hill. It would add to the aces, but also add to the 3's rather then everyone getting a two.

I get what you are saying, but some holes are just designed in such a fashion that going for an ace is risky.

Agreed and in my opinion regarding So Cal courses, about 2/3 are risky or impossible (for me) due to distance but the blanket statement about all aces being bad/lucky shots just isn't true.

It's a lot easier if you've played the hole enough times to experiment but after a while, you should be able to eye an new hole and make a good determination as to what risk is involved with runnin' it.

ZERO aces for Sloppydisc. I've hit everyhting possible, bounced off every square in of metal, and even had a nice chain spit out last round. But no aces. I try to be satisfied with birdies.

I have been playing this game for going on 30 years now, and I still have yet to hit my first ace. It is true that I suck, but I also must be cursed.

Pretty sure that just about everyone who's in the "aces are just bad shots that got lucky" camp are the bitter people who are just upset with themselves because they don't have the skill or gumption to nail an ace. If there's a line to the basket from the teepad then i'm going for it. What fun is it to always lay up for the easy birdie? Live a little bit and do something risky once in a while who knows you might eventually get a ace.

Granted I've only been playing a few months but I jump up and down when I throw that perfect drive to be set up for the birdie.. then when I get the birdie it is awesome.. :thmbup:

I see that as a run up to getting ready for my ace :D play the lays and go in from there :p

There is a lot of truth here, you might not have AS MUCH of a chance to ace a 280 foot hole with your buzzz, as a person throwing a destroyer at it every time and hoping that the fade and a big skip will flip their disc in the basket, but you will consistently get a birdie by laying up your mid range while "they" fly past the basket and miss their comeback putt.

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a time to make a run at the basket, but most of the time it is smarter to just play it safe and lay it up.

Lol. I hit a 330' birdie with a destroyer, just as described, a straight flight off to the right with small fade and a huge skip smashed the chains. I prefer nuke, so I haven't thrown it since or before for that matter. I only brought it to have more throws on the course because it was so far away from home. Still waiting for an ace and it's been almost 3 yrs for me. But the feeling of making it from that far away... Shoot, it might as well have been an ace. I'm not focusing on aces any more, now it's correcting form, which should make it easier to get closer to more aces.

Good luck on your mission. :)

Remember why you play disc golf in the first place and don't let lack of aces frustrate you. Easier said than done, yes, but ask yourself this: What are you going to do when you do finally hit that ace? Quit? Doubt it. You'll keep playing and trying for another one to recapture the vision of the disc flying perfectly towards its target and the feeling you felt when you heard the chains bang and watched the disc fall into the basket.

Ace frustration is natural, but getting one isn't going to make you a better player and once you get one you'll only want more anyway. So just keep on keepin' on, brother.....it'll happen. :thmbup:

I saw a kid get an ace while I was playing on a playground with my son. I started playing with the goal of getting an ace. Golf in general is a really boring game. Frisbee makes it fun.

I've got object and tone pole aces, the last one winter '03-'04[RIP Simpson Park]---but no basket aces yet. I've got no sympathy to spare.

Okay - just 19 months of playing and picked up my 3rd ace on Sunday.
Mostly luck on this one. 25-30 mph winds left to right. short 250ft hole with small landing zone. OB fence behind - OB ditch in front and OB walking path on the left side, sort of a triangle island hole.
I knew my mid would get knocked down quite a bit in the wind so I threw a 167 Echo Star Destroyer. I missed my hyzer line to the right for a fade skip and released pretty much straight at the basket. It looked like it was going to to get knocked down and not even clear the ditch but landed 20+ ft short and just inbounds. It took a skip that normally would have turned left and went OB but the wind just shoved the skip straight back at the basket an in!! Very bad execution - great results. Don't stress over the aces they just happen sometimes. I would trade all 3 of mine for a 1000+ rated round in a big tournament.

Aces are more important to new players. I first started playing in 2004 with my younger brother after I graduated high school, he started in 8th grade. At that time I did not like it much because I sucked bad, never got deuces and only could throw 150 ft. Over the next 4 years or so, I still was terrible and played maybe a couple times per month. Since 2008 when my brother graduated, I have played a ton more, on average I probably play 300-500 rds per year now. My first ace was not until 2010 or 2011, I can not remember but I have 16 now. I will gladly give you all 16 of my aces for me to shoot consistant 975 type rounds anywhere.

Watch, once you get your first one the rest will come on a much more regular basis. You'll get it, stick with it and have fun, it'll make it that much more enjoyable.

My brother and I are going on 2 years, I have none, he has like 6(all but 1 on the same short hole)
I also always have fun even when I'm playing bad. Take that for what it's worth.

I have been playing the sport for about 4 years now and I am actually good to a point I can birdy every hole at my home course and I can do the same at the other courses around me but the problem is im aceless and I wwant to get my first ace now my friends took forever to get theirs but once they got the first they kept coming. what should I do to get that first ace? ive chained out on every hole at my home course in Jackson Wisconsin and chained out two holes in a row in a tournament last season just they never stay in!:thmbdown:

Quit before it's too late.
:|

Im still waiting for my first too but I would say not to force it just let it happen

Latest posts