• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non-throwing arm on drives.

Keeping the non-throwing hand tucked is good advice. Also, after release of the disc, try pointing the non-throwing hand towards your target.

When you hold your breath when you putt then you only have to worry about throwing inbetween heart beats. I am sure hat is why I miss most of my putts, throwing on the heart beat.

Try wearing a karate outfit or a tennis outfit when you putt....then make a huge karate chop sound as you realize or grunt like monica seles!

I wear my off arm in a sling, makes me look like a badass.

Your off arm should be as close to your body as possible when driving. The closer your arm is, the faster your rotation will be. Think about when an ice skater is spinning on the ice. When they bring their arms in close they start to rotate faster and when they need to slow down the arms go out. The more compact you are, the more potential you will have for faster turn.

It all makes more sense now.

Thanx,

previously confused

Just thought of this thread after the thread about pivoting sent me looking for a video of myself driving. I watched the video on super slow motion and here's what I found.

This is my RHBH form as that's what I throw almost exclusively. During my X-Step, and through my motion until just after the point of release, my left hand is kept pretty close in to the left side of my body. After release, as my body continues to rotate clockwise into my follow through the left arm moves away from my body, just like my right arm is (like the ice skater thing that someone mentioned) to where I look kind of like a cross with both arms straight out. And at the finish position, it almost looks like a left handed ball golf swing with both of my hands pointing up to the sky behind me.

This was really cool to see. And I'm only using Windows Photo Gallery's picture viewer and video off of a Canon Power Shot digital camera. I was really happy with the amount of detail I could see.

Oh, great!!! My wife just walked by... apparently my form looks pretty funny to her. :D

try breathing out when you putt or drive. like karate or women's tennis.

Try wearing a karate outfit or a tennis outfit when you putt....then make a huge karate chop sound as you realize or grunt like monica seles!

I read the first quote above and was ready to comment on Monica Seles... then found the 2nd quote.

Can you imaging how annoying that would be on the course? I mean, on TV you could turn the volume off and watch a match of hers. But on the course you'd be stuck. Ouch!

I've actually played with people who do a grunt or yell as they release the drive, it's very distracting when you're throwing anywhere near them. Whatever works for you I guess.

Your off arm should be as close to your body as possible when driving. The closer your arm is, the faster your rotation will be. Think about when an ice skater is spinning on the ice. When they bring their arms in close they start to rotate faster and when they need to slow down the arms go out. The more compact you are, the more potential you will have for faster turn.

one of the bigest arms I know throws under his non throwing arm, so that his non throwing arm is almost extended straight out when he throws, I do this same stance for my short mid-range.

thats what i was always taught, and it makes perfect sense..now if i could just remember to do it everytime

Its funny thins thread came up, because I used to throw "under" my non throwing arm untill I watched myself on tape and decided to change my style, but yeah like I said one of the longest drivers I know throws under his non throwing arm with it straight out, so I say its just personal preference.

I've actually played with people who do a grunt or yell as they release the drive, it's very distracting when you're throwing anywhere near them. Whatever works for you I guess.

ive played with a dude like that before and it cracked me up the whole round...but it is scientifically proven that if you exhale like that when exerting your muscles you will generate more power...similar to powerlifters...im not that worried about a few extra feet to do that everytime though lol

Yes, I agree with this statement "The Law Angular Momentum'

Latest posts