• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noob Help

I recently acquired a sss voodoo in a trade to try out. I never would have thought that a disc could be that chalky. It really does not feel right in my hand, and I didn't have a great round with it yesterday. I'm going to give it another shot today, but right now, it doesn't appear as if this disc is the right putter.

I have been wanting to try out the wizard line. Compared to the voodoo line how are they? I was thinking of getting an s or ss wizard to try out. Any suggestions/comments?

The voodoo has a touch more glide, and at low power can hold a very straight shot. At full power or windy drives it will turn over.

The wizard is an overstable putter (bigger bead) that still has tons of glide. The plastic for gateway putters is kind of a crapshoot, you really need to feel the disc to know the bend, chalkiness, and tackiness of the disc. I carry two soft wizards that when I ordered them from Gotta go gotta throw, I specifically put:
"Relatively firm. Soft enough to flex when bent, but not taco. Tacky."

What I got was exactly that. I use them for driving and approach shots. My putters are supersoft, a little chalky and able to be tacod in your hand. I carry two supersoft wizards, I use my most seasoned putter for straight drives and turnovers, while my "soft" wizards are for straight shots with fade, flex shots, and hyzers.

Organic is generally chalky, and the stiffness can range. I've got a supersoft organic (I think it's organic, it's the right color but has nikko stamp on it). The first organic one I had was stiff as a board, it was a proto organic though.

I used to throw the HPP Wizard but since moved to a HPP Magic and I love it, just feels better in my hand.

As stated before, the Z Buzzz is the bomb!

Sometimes I still pull out my old dx gator, and on the rare occasion a heavy beat dx wolf.

Any others throw a wolf? It just does what I want it to.

The voodoo has a touch more glide, and at low power can hold a very straight shot. At full power or windy drives it will turn over.

I agree with this comment completely. I noticed that the voodoo just had a little too much glide to be my true putter. I think I'm going to contact a few locals, and see if they are willing to let me play with their wizard for a round, then go from there. The dart has been my go to putter ever since I started playing, and so far I can't see any reason to change. I do want to continue to try other putters though, partially because I love new discs, and also because I want to find "that" putter.

For the above posters, I already have a z buzzz and z comet, but thanks for the reinforcement.

412, you may want to try a Vibram Ridge if you're looking for a putter w/o too much glide. As far as Gateway goes, I like a firm Soft with some tackiness. The only thing about Wizards is, I've heard that the newer ones are straighter than what Wizards are supposed to be, you might want to investigate runs to find exactly the flight you're looking for.

My Bag is

Distance Drivers:
Star Destroyer
Star Wraith
Star Beast
Star Valkyrie
Glow Sidewinder

Fairway Drivers:
Star Leopard
Glow TeeBird

Mid-Range:
Glow Roc

Putt and Approach:
Star Rhyno
Glow Aviar

Im a beginner (a month in, if that) and these discs are working incredibly well for me. I buy Innova Star because they are reliable and durable, and I buy Glow because I play at night alot. But these 10 discs are my favorite from what I've tried

If I was building a bag for a beginner it would look like this:

Buzzz
Teebird
Valkyrie
Wizard

most of that is just because thats what I learned with but i think it would be a pretty solid starter bag.

I would replace the Teebird with a Polaris LS

I would replace the Wizard with a Soft Magnet

My Bag is

Distance Drivers:
Star Destroyer
Star Wraith
Star Beast
Star Valkyrie
Glow Sidewinder

Fairway Drivers:
Star Leopard
Glow TeeBird

Mid-Range:
Glow Roc

Putt and Approach:
Star Rhyno
Glow Aviar

Im a beginner (a month in, if that) and these discs are working incredibly well for me. I buy Innova Star because they are reliable and durable, and I buy Glow because I play at night alot. But these 10 discs are my favorite from what I've tried

How far are you throwing the Wraith and Destroyer?

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but isn't the star destroyer and beast way too fast for a beginner. I have throw both, and they meat hook with me. From what I have read on this forum/picked up from local pros, the beast and destroyer should be set aside until one has proper form. My fastest disc right now is the buzzz, and I am doing just fine. Shooting between +2 and -1 every time i play at my local course. I value learning good technique from the beginning over shooting a few strokes less every time. But to each his own. I do appreciate you posting your bag Nick from Sterling, but I think I'm going to stick with slower discs for now until I at least have a year of play under my belt.

Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but isn't the star destroyer and beast way too fast for a beginner. I have throw both, and they meat hook with me. From what I have read on this forum/picked up from local pros, the beast and destroyer should be set aside until one has proper form. My fastest disc right now is the buzzz, and I am doing just fine. Shooting between +2 and -1 every time i play at my local course. I value learning good technique from the beginning over shooting a few strokes less every time. But to each his own. I do appreciate you posting your bag Nick from Sterling, but I think I'm going to stick with slower discs for now until I at least have a year of play under my belt.

it depends on how far the beginner can throw.

You are correct