• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Ok so i have a comet x to work on cleaning up my backhand form. I am wanting to add a consistent sidearm that i am confident in. Will a comet x help my sidearm?

It could, generally people use something a little stable for fh. Maybe a buzz or a roc. But a comet can still help with your form and release, but during a round your going to want that stability.

70 foot quandry

I'm throwing RHBH the following at my practice basket from 70':

Aviar 150g dx
Dart 170g dx
Soft Magnet 170g
Shark 148g dx
Shark 150 g dx
Hawk 152g
Comet X 176g
Roc 175g dx
Wasp Photon 175g
Buzzz 168g

When I throw the putters they tend to "float" and pass over the basket. I'm usually accurate as far as the horizontal plane goes, but can't seem to keep them down. I don't know if I've made any of these shots yet. Probably thrown at least a hundred. Tried fan grip and power grip, not much difference other than the Aviar has a mind of its own when I use a power grip.

With the midrange discs my throws tend to fade just before they get to the basket and pass right in front of it. One out of 20 of these will go in. Fan grip or power grip not much difference in results.

All of these discs are being thrown dead nuts straight at the basket.

Looking for opinions on how to improve this shot.

For reference, I can throw a dx Leopard 250' with control, farther with no guarantee of where it will end up. I can't throw anything with a higher speed number with any accuracy reliably, though I am getting much love from my unLaces and believe I'll get 380' to 300' reliably with them soon.

When you throw the putters, are you doing a full reach back etc.? At that distance I'm either doing a step-through putt or just throwing a putter like I'm playing catch at the beach (no real shoulder turn). I also tend to throw nose up for a lot of shorter approach shots like that, it makes the disc want to die and sit rather than blowing very far past the basket.

When you throw the putters, are you doing a full reach back etc.? At that distance I'm either doing a step-through putt or just throwing a putter like I'm playing catch at the beach (no real shoulder turn). I also tend to throw nose up for a lot of shorter approach shots like that, it makes the disc want to die and sit rather than blowing very far past the basket.

No full reach back, I pretty much am just ripping the throw with a solid follow through, same way I threw catch frisbee a long long long time ago. I am very accurate with an old school frisbee.

When I raise the nose the putters seem to 'float' even higher over the basket. When I try to force the nose down I burn worms, can't find the happy medium.

Driving Grips for Midranges and Putters

When using a Putter or Mid off the Tee (RHBH) should I be using more of a Fan Grip, Control Grip?

When I use the power grip it seems like I cannot get a good rip off my fingers because of the deeper rim. Which usually translates into turn and burn.:wall:

Any help would be appreciated.:D

Sounds like you're throwing through the basket rather than putting the amount of power on it so it gets there and drops. Practice slowing down so the disc just barely has enough height to possibly go in when it gets there but drops right after, that way you aren't left with long come back putts.

Sounds like you're throwing through the basket rather than putting the amount of power on it so it gets there and drops. Practice slowing down so the disc just barely has enough height to possibly go in when it gets there but drops right after, that way you aren't left with long come back putts.

Yep, the same way you drive a nail or punch someone in the face, aim though and behind the target. I'll attempt to slow it down some and see what happens. Thanks. :thmbup:

70 foot quandry

I'm throwing RHBH the following at my practice basket from 70':

Aviar 150g dx
Dart 170g dx
Soft Magnet 170g
Shark 148g dx
Shark 150 g dx
Hawk 152g
Comet X 176g
Roc 175g dx
Wasp Photon 175g
Buzzz 168g

When I throw the putters they tend to "float" and pass over the basket. I'm usually accurate as far as the horizontal plane goes, but can't seem to keep them down. I don't know if I've made any of these shots yet. Probably thrown at least a hundred. Tried fan grip and power grip, not much difference other than the Aviar has a mind of its own when I use a power grip.

With the midrange discs my throws tend to fade just before they get to the basket and pass right in front of it. One out of 20 of these will go in. Fan grip or power grip not much difference in results.

All of these discs are being thrown dead nuts straight at the basket.

Looking for opinions on how to improve this shot.

For reference, I can throw a dx Leopard 250' with control, farther with no guarantee of where it will end up. I can't throw anything with a higher speed number with any accuracy reliably, though I am getting much love from my unLaces and believe I'll get 380' to 300' reliably with them soon.

i would try some slightly heavier putters. closer to max weight will give you better control, especially at short distances. at your power level, a 150 class aviar is not going to work well. try some at 172-173 and see what you think.

at 70' you should throw with a fan grip. i can get 150-160' with a fan grip on a putter, no reachback, but i've also spent a lot of time throwing an ultimate disc. from 60-150' i pretend i am playing catch with a friend. the idea is that your friend should have to move as little as possible to make the catch, and that you don't want to throw it so hard that it hurts to catch it.

also realize that (almost) no one expects to make shots outside of 60' with any consistency. you may want to make sure it has a chance, but generally you just want it to give you an easy clean-up. the best way to do that with a putter is throw it nose up with a little bit of anhyzer. the disc will lose a lot of its energy from the nose up angle and fighting out of the anhyzer, and drop more in a straight line rather than falling on the natural fade/hyzer. shots of that shape have a much better chance of going in if they happen to get chains.

When using a Putter or Mid off the Tee (RHBH) should I be using more of a Fan Grip, Control Grip?

When I use the power grip it seems like I cannot get a good rip off my fingers because of the deeper rim. Which usually translates into turn and burn.:wall:

I always use a fan grip for putters and mids.

i would try some slightly heavier putters. closer to max weight will give you better control, especially at short distances. at your power level, a 150 class aviar is not going to work well. try some at 172-173 and see what you think.

at 70' you should throw with a fan grip. i can get 150-160' with a fan grip on a putter, no reachback, but i've also spent a lot of time throwing an ultimate disc. from 60-150' i pretend i am playing catch with a friend. the idea is that your friend should have to move as little as possible to make the catch, and that you don't want to throw it so hard that it hurts to catch it.

also realize that (almost) no one expects to make shots outside of 60' with any consistency. you may want to make sure it has a chance, but generally you just want it to give you an easy clean-up. the best way to do that with a putter is throw it nose up with a little bit of anhyzer. the disc will lose a lot of its energy from the nose up angle and fighting out of the anhyzer, and drop more in a straight line rather than falling on the natural fade/hyzer. shots of that shape have a much better chance of going in if they happen to get chains.

I thought the Aviar was too light, I'll get some beefier ones.
The nose up/anhyzer combination you mention makes sense and ties in with Mashnuts suggestion to slow down. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Good question, I think it depends on the person, I never use a fan grip for mids, but if I am doing a short tee shot I will use a fan grip on a putter, but other then that its a regular power grip.

About the good rip, I don't think you should really ever be trying to rip a putter, it may be your actual grip on the disc or grip strength or something else in my opinion.

I use a 3 finger power grip off the tee with all discs. It's all a matter of personal preference.

And I use a 4 finger for every single disc. I do make sure that putters have shallow rims though or else I have had problems with grip lock. I stick with the zone (1.2 cm), pure (1.4 cm), and summit (1.2 cm).

Latest posts