• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Thats a realitive question. Iv been playing for a few years. And I couldnt tell you half about discs like some of these boys.

I've been playing for 5ish years now and have put in over 5 rounds a week over the last two summers, am I still a noob?

Yeah, that is a relative question. You're probably not a n00b. Hopefully, in 5 years and many rounds a week, you've learned how to not throw painful hyzers that stall out and can throw your putter over 150'. :\

debebbler said:
Why am I thinking about rubber and glue at this moment?
You watch a lot of Bob Villa?

I didn't mean to imply that you're a n00b, I was implying that I can dumb this stuff down to a level n00bs can understand b/c I'm not too far removed from being a n00b myself. :hfive:

I forget who but the distance record was broken 3 times in one day I believe. Sandstrom being the final breaker. It was a discraft player I believe (Voit), then whoever threw the Teebird (the story is somewhere online but I don't feel like finding it), and then Sandstrom. I believe Sandstrom only broke the previous through by 17 feet or something like that. I'll find the story later.

Avery throws Pro Destroyers in Max D Competitions. Innova players use Pro or a certain kind of Echo Star for pure distance. He hasn't broken the record. I think he has only broken 800' a few times in competition. GG is way more likely to break the record than anyone else. I think he was 5' short at Big D In The Desert this year.

Who is this GG you speak of?

This might belong in equipment but, Is there any difference between a Wizard stamped $$$ rather than SSS? I figure no, but I'm a unedumacated no0b.

Garrett Gurthie. He bombs. During the Player's Cup, he threw a shot that got him within 100' on a 780' hole. His airshots were going farther than EVERYONE's rollers.

I love watching Jenkins in slow mo, I'll have to check this guy out...

GG flat out bombs. I saw him throw his second shot on hole 5 at the USDGC and I don't think it's come down yet. Seriously though, that shot that he threw was unlike any other I saw all week at the USDGC. I was spotting on hole 5 all week. I saw every throw from the tee, and every second shot. Nobody else even came close to attempting what he did, and no one else may have been able to.

He was about 250' behind where this pic was taken, and past the trees. It was at least 600', if not significantly more.

366db59e.jpg

difference between 11x CAL and CA? Also - what's the difference if they say Distance Driver or Fairway Driver? Do all CAL's say distance driver or are there also CA molds that say distance driver?

CALs are more over stable with less glide. but they're faster out of your hand.

i've seen 11x CAs and CALs that both say Fairway and Distance, so that method isn't always the best. for instance, nearly every old pearly 11x TB is marked Distance Driver, but is CA tooled.

fleshy is a Climo original. Dave Feldberg explains it in the commentary to the Blue Ribbon Pines clash. it basically means a beat to snot disc that you know like the back of your hand.

I have a question (and I hope it hasn't been asked yet as I have not read all of the previous pages):
How do you use disc Speed to your advantage. I see how a slow disc can be beneficial, but how about a fast one?
Its also easy for me to see how Turn, Fade and Glide can be utilized, but for some reason Speed is more ambiguous.
How do you use Speed in shot selection?

>>How do you use disc Speed to your advantage. I see how a slow disc can be beneficial, but how about a fast one?
Its also easy for me to see how Turn, Fade and Glide can be utilized, but for some reason Speed is more ambiguous.<<

the disc flies past potential obsticals before it can hit them....