• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Is there anywhere i can look to get lessons in the alabama area? I know this may sound silly, but I really think that is where my game is lacking. Just some one on one time with someone that really knows what they are doing.

Am I intermediate, advanced, a master, or recreational? At what age does one become a master? I know I'm not entering any open divisions, unless it's as a caddie. How? What? Why?

Am I intermediate, advanced, a master, or recreational? At what age does one become a master? I know I'm not entering any open divisions, unless it's as a caddie. How? What? Why?

40 is the age you become a masters player

I'm pretty sure recreational (MA3) is under 900 rating, intermediate (MA2) is under 935, and advanced (MA1) is 935 and up

Thank you all for the answers and info. Looks like I'm a recreational player on the cusp of becoming intermediate if my DGCR rating is any indication.

I'm not a noob, but thought this would be the best place to have a random question answered. I hear the term "overhand roller" from time to time. In my mind, there's four main types of rollers: backhand, forehand, scooby, and thumber. Now, is an overhand roller something else, or just another name for a forehand roller? To me, that wouldn't make sense because if you throw a disc truly overhand, it's going to flip in the air and not roll. Any clarification is much appreciated.

I'm not a noob, but thought this would be the best place to have a random question answered. I hear the term "overhand roller" from time to time. In my mind, there's four main types of rollers: backhand, forehand, scooby, and thumber. Now, is an overhand roller something else, or just another name for a forehand roller? To me, that wouldn't make sense because if you throw a disc truly overhand, it's going to flip in the air and not roll. Any clarification is much appreciated.

I would assume this is just a get out of trouble shot that really is a FH cut roller but released above the head aimed down at the ground b/c there is something normally in front of you. There's all kinds of crazy shot names though and you are right with the general 4 types of rollers.

I wonder what you mean by scooby roller.

I wonder what you mean by scooby roller.

Pros will tell you a scooby is a roller shot where you hold the disc with a traditional backhand grip, bring the disc up by your right ear (RHBH), then uncurl your arm. Many amateurs will tell you a scooby is sliding the disc upside down. So I just call them a scooby roller and scooby slider to differentiate the two.

It's a really useful roller for short approaches where you've got low hanging branches but a mostly clear ground. I only use it for 75' to 100' normally, but can get farther using a higher speed disc and taking a step or two into it.

As a disc gets roughed up and broken in with dings and scratches on the edge and bead, I can see it losing distance, but is it going to get less stable or more stable?

As a disc gets roughed up and broken in with dings and scratches on the edge and bead, I can see it losing distance, but is it going to get less stable or more stable?

Less stable. Or more understable depending on your preferred terminology.

Sometimes that can actually help it gain more distance. My champ Teebird which is nicely worn in flies farther than a new one would. More overstable ones will tend to fade out sooner while a "seasoned" overstable disc can stay level longer allowing it to fly farther.

Less stable. Or more understable depending on your preferred terminology.

Sometimes that can actually help it gain more distance. My champ Teebird which is nicely worn in flies farther than a new one would. More overstable ones will tend to fade out sooner while a "seasoned" overstable disc can stay level longer allowing it to fly farther.

Thanks, yeah I guess staying flat longer would give it more distance. Didn't think of that benefit.

Gonna be a FRIGID 50 degrees here in beautiful Wilmington, North Carolina tomorrow and I'm playing The Castle with some friends for the first time sans shorts. (No homo.) What sort of threads do y'all recommend in chillier weather that offer maximum warmth and breathability whilst still providing good flexibility?

Wear shorts with soccer socks. C'mon man, it's Wilmington. The under armor type shirts are nice too.

Wear shorts with soccer socks. C'mon man, it's Wilmington. The under armor type shirts are nice too.

Underarmor is key. Got some of that.

I'll be there at The Castle at 1100, Dave. Bringing some beers and a couple friends for a smooth 36, maybe 54 holes. Love if you'd join us.

Underarmor is key. Got some of that.

I'll be there at The Castle at 1100, Dave. Bringing some beers and a couple friends for a smooth 36, maybe 54 holes. Love if you'd join us.

I'd love to, but unfortunately I'm ~3 hours away in Randolph Co. Get a birdie on hole 11 for me.

I'd love to, but unfortunately I'm ~3 hours away in Randolph Co. Get a birdie on hole 11 for me.

Roger. Next time, then.

But a bird on 11? Might as well ask me to **** you Tiffany cuff-links. I suck harder than Lewinsky in the Oval Office.

It can be done. You just need a disc that tracks right and then something like a Zone to skip around the last corner. ;)