• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

noobie, what next?

PCDG13

Par Member
I've been playing now for about 2-3 months and I'm hooked! I've seen some huge improvements in that time and I'm competitive with all my friends that have been playing about a year. However I would not consider myself good as I still have lot's to learn. I've learned so much from this site and others and here's where I'm at right now..

I've ditched the high speed drivers, tee off with my buzzz esp 95% of the time. My RHBH drive is getting further,straighter and more consistent. I can't throw that far but I'm usually pretty accurate. I suck at FH's but I can get buy with an ok Anhyzer.

My question is...What should I focus on next? Should I slowly introduce some faster discs? work on RHFH's? add more shots to my repertoire? (I only know straight,hyzer, and anhyzer) Or maybe I should really focus on getting my RHBH technique down and work on the hammer drills and feeling the hit before I try to add anything?

Sorry for rambling, Thanks!

The first question I would ask is, how far do you accurately throw the Buzzz? And also what other discs do you throw?

Welcome to the addiction.

I'm not sure of the exact distance but I'd say on 200-250ft holes I can be within a long putt away depending on the hole and tree's and what not. I do however still have some bad throws or pick the wrong line and hit trees more than I'd like too!

Like I said the Buzzz is my go to %95 of the time and most courses around here are pretty short and I can get by with just my buzzz and my aviar putter. If I need to go right i'll use my Roc to get an anhyzer (not sure if this is a good choice but it seems to work for me). When I play a longer course I'll occasionally use my pro Leopard but I'm still not consistent with it.

Try and find weekly doubles or singles leauge and see how you like competing. You will meet a large group of local players and have people to learn from. Randome draw doubles is really good as you can get grouped with great players and really see what and how they play the game. If you can find a PDGA event, go and watch the lead open card after the lunch break.

driving a million miles is great, but every seasoned veteran I've asked has told me it all means squat if you can't putt. 2 years ago i picked a tree in my back yard, measured out to 50 feet, cracked a beer and started putting. Makes a difference, trust me.

Try and find weekly doubles or singles leauge and see how you like competing. You will meet a large group of local players and have people to learn from. Randome draw doubles is really good as you can get grouped with great players and really see what and how they play the game. If you can find a PDGA event, go and watch the lead open card after the lunch break.

I'd love to do that, right now I'm playing with just my buddies about 6 or 7 of us but I can see how this won't be beneficial for too much longer as far as learning goes..

driving a million miles is great, but every seasoned veteran I've asked has told me it all means squat if you can't putt. 2 years ago i picked a tree in my back yard, measured out to 50 feet, cracked a beer and started putting. Makes a difference, trust me.

All over that! Just bought a basket a couple weeks ago and my putting has already improved greatly. Gonna continue to work on it for sure!

the best thing you can do is go out to the field and work on that leopard. I just started throwing a leopard (always threw very overstable discs prior) and it's a very good technique builder. I can't screw up my technique and get a good toss out of it, but when thrown right it flies very nicely. There's a reason its a standard in the "First longer driver" debate.

edit: i bought a basket a few weeks ago, and my putting is ridiculously better now (i was always horrible) i have confidence now (still miss a lot, but way better). I can get a 20' putt in my basement so i can practice year round with no issues now, wish it were 25' but still better than nothing.

Last edited:
Buy a groove. That seems to be the #1 thing for noobs.

At least I had mine given to me. I didn't have to spend my money on it. Traded it for a beat champ leo. Best deal ever.

Buy a groove. That seems to be the #1 thing for noobs.

At least I had mine given to me. I didn't have to spend my money on it. Traded it for a beat champ leo. Best deal ever.

OP, this guy is kidding - do not buy a groove - they suck and are way too fast. I would suggest playing some solo rounds for practice. I know it's not as fun as playing with your friends, but in a group of 6 you don't have time to try difficult shots multiple times and I imagine you aren't super focused on your game. When you're alone, mark your lie on all your putts and take the same putt 3 or 4 times, regardless of whether you hit or miss the first one.
I would also recommend working on your drive a little more. While it's true that you should "drive for show, putt for dough"(IE putting is more important), it sounds like you're still having a hard time breaking 200ft and that will definitely hinder you if you play a longer course. Around here (Southern Maine and NH) there are quite a few par 3s that are 300, 350, and even 400ft. long, and a 200ft drive will make it tough to par.

Who me? Yes just kidding. The #1 thing I can tell you is to remember to have fun. If you find yourself burning out on practice, go with buddies again. Meet new people. Go to new courses. Whatever it takes to make it fun again. And then practice some more.

Who me? Yes just kidding. The #1 thing I can tell you is to remember to have fun. If you find yourself burning out on practice, go with buddies again. Meet new people. Go to new courses. Whatever it takes to make it fun again. And then practice some more.

Yes, that's important too!

Hahahahaha! I'll admit it, I was one of those noobies and I'm sure there's tons of people out there that picked up that piece of junk too! My dog won't even play fetch with it! I can't believe Innova still makes them, what they really should be doing is buying them back!

Great advice so far, play with people better than you and remember to have fun!

My brither in law bought me one. I wasn't good enough to make it work though. He understands that I got rid of it.

OP:I have found that if I just try to do better than I did last time out, I get better. If I just try to beat my buds, I take to many chances and do worse. If you can learn what makes you focus it will also make you better.

Edit: Brother in law

He was a noob at the time also.

The fun thing is so important. Don't worry so much about practicing...that mess gets old quick and I've seen it burn out a TON of new players. Of course, when you get to be a pro in a couple years, you'll have to practice all the time LOL.

Most of us, even those of us who compete in tournaments, play for recreation. It's a great, cheap sport that is totally fun and relaxing. The solo rounds is a great piece of advice as well. Let's you throw multiple times. Great for trying out different discs, as well as mastering discs if you have multiples of the same mold and weight. Field practice is great, but to me it just feels too much like training. Maybe hit the field once a week, solo round once or twice a week, and play with your friends a couple other times a week. If you start to plateau or get burnt out, just take a break for a week. Within a few days the fire will be back.

Just relax and have fun. Don't try to do too much too fast. Be aware that from time to time you will hit plateaus. Don't stress about it, you'll break through in time. You're still learning your own style...let your body flow naturally, while still incorporating tips from other players, videos, pics, forums, etc.

I have the most fun so I always win. Any day playing DG is better than not playing.

thanks

I have been playing for almost a year and the early disc fever has cooled a bit. I really appreciate the comments on having fun. I think I am trying too hard sometimes and it scares me that I may burn out. I need to just relax and realize that I have a lifetime to improve. Great advice.

Or maybe I should really focus on getting my RHBH technique down and work on the hammer drills and feeling the hit before I try to add anything?
This one. Just basic line shaping. Learn to throw understable discs on hyzers, overstable discs on anhyzers and vice versa and everything in between. Then once you start getting the hang of that you'll figure out how to throw hyzer flips, flip into turnovers (turnover is a great alternative to FH) and flex shots.

I think feeling the hit is a prerequisite to really getting to that next level, it just opens up a world of lines and consistency. Do those hammer pound drills thoroughly and always follow through to prevent injury!

Latest posts