• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not being able to play, what do you do?

myroomisajunkyard

Bogey Member
I sprained my ankle (grade 2/3) so been limping for the past two weeks which blows!!! Probably would recover in a month to 3 months from now.. It really SUCKS to see bunch of my discs in my room (I have over 200) screaming my name, wanting to be thrown.. unfortunately i cant play or walk at the moment.. Been craving to play every single day..
So, If you had a freak accident or something that would take a good part of your body from being used to play i.e. your leg/ankle/foot, what would you do to at least stay on the top of your game when you finally heal and get going to play at a tournament in a few month ahead.
Just curious :)

I F'ed my arm up and had nerve damage during the final round at World Dubs this last year. Being stubborn I played through it and made it worse. I tried rushing back and made it even worse. I have such a bug that I started throwing off hand because I HAD to play(and they say drugs are bad). Dont rush anything. Make sure your are good to go before you go out again or you can make it worse or have issues like I did and it will never be right. I know it sucks but maybe try to learn to dye, or something to where you can still be around the game without hurting yourself.

If possible - parlay some of the plastic you are not using into a basket.

Learn the straddle putt which will give your ankle some relief as opposed to your usual stance putt where you leg kick.

This will be a useful secondary putting option especially when terrain is uneven.

Your putting game is already rock solid but it doesnt hurt to continue the consistency so the muscle memory doesn't give away.

You can also do tai-chi-golf with your imaginary drives as you try to work the core muscles and muscle memory again.

Research articles online - watch videos to see what are the others doing with their body, footwork, arms, opposite arms, how they pull the discs, how they swing the disc, the use of a teepad, watch pros roll their discs and learn their motions + release angle.

Wheel and deal all your leftover discs into the molds you want to consistently carry. 20 of same disc you prefer is better than 1 disc of 20 different molds. Perhaps a bag or some wheels that will make carrying your discs much easier and less weight on your body.

Research winter gear so you can be ready for February's Big Freeze with your partner *wink* and not underdressed or overdressed but just right.

do some training so you dont end up gaining 20 pounds while immobile.

Collect disc golf dvds so you can watch disc golf on your boob tube.

I'm just ending a 2 1/2 month turn on the D.L., and I have more temptation than most to get out and play.

I did several sessions of one-legged putting. There's a limit to how much of that you can take, but it felt good to throw discs.

Get yourself a stretching routine for your arms, back, and good leg so they're in their best condition when you return to play.

A bud of mine messed up his right hand (pained him even on short putts). He nailed up a strong rubber belt (just to the point of disc release) and practiced an uncomfortable left handed throw. I played with him on his first attempt at playing a course left handed; the first 9-10 holes he was spraying his disc all over the place (standing behind him was even a danger). When he finally got the release timing under some control, his left handed drives were around 250', his putting suffered a little more. If motivated, just keep going for it.

Last edited:
I know the feeling. I was in a car accident 4+ months ago and haven't been able to play since. I've just been steadily loosing my mind. That might work for you as well.

Medicate. Relax. It will be fine. I've seen people take a few months off and come back and throw their best game ever.

You should do stretches everyday at least tewnty minutes of loosening up all your joints and muscles. That will help, and if you don't do that already, then it will make you a better player when you gwt back on the course.

learn how to dye! i was laid up for four months a few years back. Taught myself to dye and that did great filling the viod. oh and i putted!!

Enjoy the time off maybe break those bad habits. I took time away from the sport after the birth of my 1st child. Came back about 6 months later. Yea the first few rounds were rough but my arms and knees felt better. And actually started playing better. I quick trying to over do the run up and trying to kill the disc when I threw it. I actually play better now then I did before yea my long drives aren't so long now but rarely do I end up deep in the woods or just shank drives.

Latest posts