• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Okay - How big is a good tee box?

Ideal Concrete Tee Box Size

• 4x8

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 4x10

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • 4x12

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • 5x8

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • 5x10

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • 5x12

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • 6x10

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • 6x12

Votes: 35 27.8%

• Total voters
When I played Bryan McClain Park in San Antonio, I was suprised at how small the tee pads were:

20081116BM38.jpg

20081116BM13.jpg

20081116BM5.jpg

Smaller teepads can generate wear around the edges as people use a small run up off the back of the pad, step onto the teepad to finish the run up then throw. The one thing I worry about is stepping off the front of a teepad once I throw and if there is a slight dropoff, I worry of twisting my ankle.

Smaller teepads can generate wear around the edges as people use a small run up off the back of the pad, step onto the teepad to finish the run up then throw. The one thing I worry about is stepping off the front of a teepad once I throw and if there is a slight dropoff, I worry of twisting my ankle.

You wanna talk about a slight dropoff, look at my first pic. Its about an 8ft drop to the ground below.

I prefer wider rather than longer! I am 6'3" and the 2.5 foot wide 15 foot long tees reaally piss me off! Anyone else have the same complaint?

Agreed I just played a course alot of 3 feet wide 10-12 foot long ...great course but I'd rather have a tapered wider at the front box that uses as much concrete than such a long narrow sliver or maybe just no concrete at all...that kind of narrow tee got in my head..and at the course there was enough in my head...just IMHO.

Eh i liek the size of the ones @ riverside park in Gr, i know if i stand in the back corner, it gives me the exact ammount of room i need.

The bigger the better, in my opinion. I saw a course that has trapeziod shaped that were 10' long, 5' wide at the back, and 4' wide on the front (Turkey Lake, T2 course). They seemed to be on the right track. Also, I have seen 8' circular tees before, they were pretty cool, but not really neccessary

But, they gotta be at least 8' long and 4' wide to accomidate a decent drive, IMO.....

After posing this question months back - I have played many various sizes and have decided that a 6' x 12' tee is adequate in most cases. However, a few extension past the tee with concrete or mulch is also good to prevent erosion. Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek is a good example of that. Anything longer than 12' is fairly unnecessary unless there is a large drop off, then 15' seems to be pretty good. It also seems like any width beyond 6' may be cool but is unnecessary and not very cost effective.

My opinions and .02 - take it or leave it :)

The best concrete pads are at the old zilker park in Austin. They are pie shape, kinda. I think 4 ft. in front and about 12-15 in back and 10 or 12 long.

The best concrete pads are at the old zilker park in Austin. They are pie shape, kinda. I think 4 ft. in front and about 12-15 in back and 10 or 12 long.

Am I the only person who thinks this is backwards? Shouldn't the front of the tee box be the wider part, if you're going to taper it?

Am I the only person who thinks this is backwards? Shouldn't the front of the tee box be the wider part, if you're going to taper it?

It makes sense to me. That is how the boxes are installed in Kingwood, and everyone bitches about the boxes being backwards. I don't get it

I am not sure that a bigger is better mentality works for this. In the end I think as long as it is at least 4X8 and you have practiced with that length of tee it doesn't matter.

the most clever tees I have seen are in Channahon, IL at Community Park. They are 4 or 5 feet wide, maybe 12 feet long. What makes them unique is that they put in a limestone followthrough area off the front in the shape of an arrow head. It helps with orientation, erosion, keeping costs down, and it looks really nice.

Latest posts