• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"old boys club......."

TBpantsReaper

So I consider myself a very active player. Im on the course about 5-6 days a week in the spring summer and about 3-4 times a week in the fall winter. I also am blessed with having 4 ok courses just a couple miles away with 2 amazing courses less than an hours drive. I play for myself but enjoy friendly competition and live for tournament play. I try to be active in local league activities and thats where everything gets screwy. The club here is.... Not. It's a group of (for the most part) golfers who really embody most of the unpleasant disc golfer stigmas. And there's no club website, Facebook, message board, anything, BUT if your willing to be at the course 24/7 drink in abundance, and smoke as much herb as the area is known for then you can weasle your way onto the "text list" which is the method most commonly used to communicate locations of local doubles and whatnot tourneys. I'm not sure if this is a tactic to make sure no one new ever plays but if so its working. There are thousands of golfers here and yet somehow only 10 of em ever seem to get communicated with. I don't know who to talk to about volunteering for courses. Where my money goes when I'm playing local events. Last time I checked the clubs "bank" was a paper bag with rolled and crumpled 1's and 5's in it. Sigh. I am really ok with stoners, I'm ok with pot, I don't smoke but whatever, I'm ok with a beer round, I don't even care if you don't have a job and url spending lots of time on the course but these guys take this locals only craps way to far. I'm very excited to be moving to Dayton, Ohio where there seems to be a very well laid out club. Who know maybe these guys here just don't like me. Maybe I'm a big ******* and I don't know it. Maybe. But I honestly just wanna golf and take it kinda seriously. Does anyone else have to deal with these old boys clubs?

Is that really the only "club" around?
If so, im sure others share your feelings so you should start one.

Yes, at my local course there's a txt club but also dubs every monday.

I deal with this BS constantly here in the Tri-Cites. Luckily there are two courses and only one is full of burners and course rats. Sucks because I cannot take my kids to the other course for the same reasons.

Is the "in crowd" group really a club (i.e., they run sanctioned tournaments, open-to-the-public leagues,etc), or merely a group of friends who play disc golf together in a competitive fashion?

Cuz if it's the later, then tough tacos. They probably don't like you.

Also, fwiw, there's nothing wrong with the club "bank" being a paper sack as long as the people running the club are trustworthy and legit.

I guess if I were you, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it as you're moving anyway. :shrugsmiley:

Ya unfortunetely they really are the club. It's amazing to how there isn't any I have searched online and at the colleges (bellingham is a huge hipster college town) I'm definetely trying to remind myself...moving to Dayton, moving to Dayton moving to Dayton. But for the time I'm here it would be nice to be able to consistently play with people I feel are in my skill level and take the game seriously. But there ls a funny ratio of tons of college kids just out to have fun hukin vs. Maybe 20-40 that compete at advanced level or even intermediate level. Its really weird the whole town has a weird dynamic.

perhaps a tad early, but WELCOME TO SW OHIO! look us up when you get here. a great scene imho. play with us and then we'll let everyone else know if you are a db. :p

But for the time I'm here it would be nice to be able to consistently play with people I feel are in my skill level and take the game seriously. But there ls a funny ratio of tons of college kids just out to have fun hukin vs. Maybe 20-40 that compete at advanced level or even intermediate level.

So what you're saying is that its like everywhere else.

perhaps a tad early, but WELCOME TO SW OHIO! look us up when you get here. a great scene imho. play with us and then we'll let everyone else know if you are a db. :p

lulz.

I'm really looking forward to the move. I'm going to pipe welding school in troy and start in January so less than 2 months. I'm definitely down to meet and play with new people whenever!

you said the P word... thread closed... ;)

next time you go sneak some deamsters in to their bowl and then laugh

Latest posts