• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Older players

I am working on absolutely everything and having a great time. Just finished reading a book a friend mentioned, Zen Golf. Could have used the calming techniques a LONG time ago. Would have helped at the controls of the single engine, single seat fighter jet in my youth.

If you're looking for another great book for the game between your ears, check out the extremely popular "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect." Works for golf, disc golf and lots of other activities in life, I've found.

BTW, getting out there at 70+? Impressive, sir. Most impressive.

Not quite a standstill....does take a slow step or two. His distance has eroded as he has aged, but can still get 300 when he snaps a good one.

If you were to meet him, you might think he was ten or fifteen years younger than he is. Always has taken care of himself.

Here's a pic of him (far right) on a mixed card in Lewisville, TX. He played Adv Sr GM because that was the highest age protected division available.

Note that he is still extremely popular with the lady golfers.

I know that crowd! ;)

If you're looking for another great book for the game between your ears, check out the extremely popular "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect." Works for golf, disc golf and lots of other activities in life, I've found.

BTW, getting out there at 70+? Impressive, sir. Most impressive.

Agreed any books by Rotello or Gio Valiante are good. Fearless Golf is a good read as well as when Valiante published it, he was the top psychology guy in the game and the top tour pros were clients.

My dad just started playing about a year ago on a backyard course i set up at his house. Hes 58 now and has improved his distance to about 250 from 150 when he started.

My father, Ron Byrd, lives near you in Rio Rancho. He will be 84 this year and is always looking for a partner. He won Worlds last year in the Grand Legends division (first ever winner in that division).

If you can't do a run up, he'll teach you forehand. You'll be surprised when you see him throw 300' with just a flick of the wrist.

Send me a private message and I'll see if I can get you in touch with him.

Ron Byrd is the man!!! I love when Ron comes out to our events. I've seen him hike the ski mountain course at Sipapu with no problem while beating players 1/4 of his age. His attitude and love of the game are inspiring to us all!! Tell you dad hello for me!

280' from a standstill is great, Iver! I standstill for fh, and at 57, barely get over 300'.

As far as advice goes [as you didn't say which hairline], I figure you're already balls-deep in anecdotes from every 2-disc wonder who putts with a Polecat, so mine to you is to have fun and enjoy the rounds!

Here are my goals:
1. Consistent drive of 300-325' RHBH, over 150' RHFH
2. 100% of 20' putts in the chains.
3. 90% of 100-150' up shots within my putting circle (20')

Ambitious ? Yes! But it has been my lifetime goal to reach beyond my grasp at every opportunity.

Motto: Everything will be alright in the end.
If it is not alright, it is not the end.

Good goals. If achieved, you would likely become the highest rated Legend in the land.

More older players

Played a round with Ron Byrd today (84). It was great fun and he does indeed throw RHFH 300'. We are now looking for more Legends + to join our twosome here in Albuquerque.

Playing on your playing only two years, I was really impressed by your all-around game today. You must have developed really rapidly but the better you get, the slower further improvement will be. Still, you should be playing at national and world tournaments starting this year! Unfortunately, I won't be competing against you in such events because when you were born, I was a teen-ager.

Hey, the goal is to stay as young as possible as long as possible.
You are still a teenager all be it with gray hair.

Here are my goals:
1. Consistent drive of 300-325' RHBH, over 150' RHFH
2. 100% of 20' putts in the chains.
3. 90% of 100-150' up shots within my putting circle (20')

Ambitious ? Yes! But it has been my lifetime goal to reach beyond my grasp at every opportunity.

Motto: Everything will be alright in the end.
If it is not alright, it is not the end.

If you're ever in DFW, let me or AClay know. We are a group of old guys that play at about your goals... a little farther on the forehand for most of us. All but one of us is grandmaster or older. The youngster is a great guy! Every weekend, a different course in DFW... message me.

Awesome to hear another "experienced" player joining the fray. 62 here and your distance of 280 from a standstill is quite impressive in my opinion. I agree that a forehand might give you a little more. My noodle armed FH only maxes out around 220. But I can get it out past 300 with a FH. I've been playing in the Empire State Senior Games since it was included as a game in 2011. Since i've started I've gotten my wife, my 3 sons and 4 of my grandchildren playing. Being retired with a working wife I play mostly midweek and frequently solo. I love it, easier, cheaper and frankly more satisfying than ball golf. Keeps me more fit especially at this time of year. And I can keep my competitive juices flowing too.

Welcome to the sport.

to IVER:

Play in the Gentlemens' Club Classic (Feb 26-28 in Henderson near Las Vegas). There will be a field of Legends from all over the country, which is unusual. I will be there, and I'm 75 this July. I believe that you will be quite competitive, and you will certainly learn a lot about serious older players. Also, join the Divisional Tour Newsgroup. For questions, contact me at [email protected].

Can't make the Gentleman's Club event due to previous commitments....DANG.
It would have been great to meet THE legend among Legends. A question I have relates to bad knees. Are you seeing most over 60 players restricting the torque on their plant foot to save the knee? I have a brace on that leg to help keep the bones apart since the meniscus is gone (2 arthro). Regardless, I love this game so much that I will still be playing even if it is on a peg leg.
How do I find that newsgroup?

Last edited:
to IVER:

I've had three arthros on the plant knee, but I don't restrict on the runup. Get a good personal trainer and work hard on squats, lunges, leg curls and everything that strengthens the knee. Give glucosamine/chondroitin a try. If that doesn't help, get it replaced. I've seen lots of folks playing great disc golf on artificial knees.

Look for my invitation to join the Divisional Tour Newsgroup on this site within the next couple of days.

Sorry you can't make the GCC.

I've been getting emails from Mr. Shive for years, no one works harder for us older guys.

A couple of things to consider for older players. Flexibility matters, as does stature (body stature) and the core. Those items are the difference between good technique = 300 ft, and good technique = 370 ft. Even more importantly, they are what gives you distance without effort on upshots and putts, bringing accuracy to your game. There are lots of ways to get those things, I lift to build my core, with a trainer so I don't get hurt. Lately, I've been doing Chen style Tai Chi. For all practical purposes, it is fighting Tai Chi. It mimics the same kind of training that a Shaolin Kung Fu fighter takes on, but in a form that is compliant with my older body. The focus is on Core movement and control over the body. That translates directly into a focus on the core in drives, putts, and approach shots. The monk that I train under constantly talks about joint movement, where your knees are, and how to protect them and your back, so that they are assets and not liabilities.

I've seen lots of folks playing great disc golf on artificial knees.

I'll be joining those ranks sooner than later. I'm only 34 now but I've had 4 surguries (2 arthroscopic, 2 reconstructive) on my left knee. There are places with zero bony cartilage left already.

Strength training has kept me going and healthy for the most part. I'd recommend to anyone to get in the gym and get to work to prolong joint/muscle/connective tissue health.

I'll be joining those ranks sooner than later. I'm only 34 now but I've had 4 surguries (2 arthroscopic, 2 reconstructive) on my left knee. There are places with zero bony cartilage left already.

Strength training has kept me going and healthy for the most part. I'd recommend to anyone to get in the gym and get to work to prolong joint/muscle/connective tissue health.

All my research on "knee" strengthening has told me to forget about weight training and focus more on flexibility training. As a matter of fact, I'd say about 90% of all disc golf related work outs (that I've researched) focus on flexibility training compared to weight lifting, etc. With that said I do lift weights 3 times a week as part of my weight loss program, but it's mainly high rep, low weights, etc.

Latest posts