• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Older players

All my research on "knee" strengthening has told me to forget about weight training and focus more on flexibility training. As a matter of fact, I'd say about 90% of all disc golf related work outs (that I've researched) focus on flexibility training compared to weight lifting, etc. With that said I do lift weights 3 times a week as part of my weight loss program, but it's mainly high rep, low weights, etc.

My only response here is that Strength is Never a Weakness.

Flexibility obviously helps too, since that's connective tissue health. I was talking more about tendon/muscle health surrounding the joint, which is overlooked too often.

Just completed my first tournament. Entered as a 'recreational' player. 2 rounds of 20 holes. If I did not have such an inflated ego the fact that I was badly beaten by a 13 year old would have destroyed me. It was, never the less, great fun. I did birdie a few holes and parred a fair number. Was I tired at the end? Just let me say that I did have to wake up from my easy chair that night in order to go to bed. Sunday was truly a day of rest...thank God.

Just completed my first tournament. Entered as a 'recreational' player. 2 rounds of 20 holes. If I did not have such an inflated ego the fact that I was badly beaten by a 13 year old would have destroyed me. It was, never the less, great fun. I did birdie a few holes and parred a fair number. Was I tired at the end? Just let me say that I did have to wake up from my easy chair that night in order to go to bed. Sunday was truly a day of rest...thank God.

:clap: Nice! Now you're hooked on PDGA tournaments...right? ...... RIGHT? ;)

Well, sorta. It would be nice to have more opportunities to compete against my age group (Legend). I am presently entered in two NM tournaments; The Alien Open in Roswell next month as an intermediate and The High Desert Open in Santa Fe in April as a Grand Master. This past weekend, as a 'Recreational' player I wound up with a 9 year old in my foursome and it was no fun babysitting for two rounds of 20 holes each.

280 from a standstill is amazing! Two thoughts --

A senior player with multiple joint issues posted a great thread about how he copied some of Pro Dave Feldberg's arm motion (strange as it may seem) to increase his distance in an injury resistant way here: Disc Golf Drive Distance

Seondly, we've done some study on disc tech options for what we call "MVA's", or Medium Velocity Athletes to increase their drive distance here: 3 Senior Disc Options for Distance

Hope these help!

I met some guy in his 60's that was throwing 400-500 foot rollers, but in the air he was only doing about 320. I haven't played with any 70 year olds, 280 from a standstill sounds great to me.

280 from a standstill is amazing! Two thoughts --

A senior player with multiple joint issues posted a great thread about how he copied some of Pro Dave Feldberg's arm motion (strange as it may seem) to increase his distance in an injury resistant way here: Disc Golf Drive Distance

Seondly, we've done some study on disc tech options for what we call "MVA's", or Medium Velocity Athletes to increase their drive distance here: 3 Senior Disc Options for Distance

Hope these help!

I would add something to this, an over reliance on body extremities creates a lot of problems. If the primary muscle that you are using is on an extremity, you're going about it wrong. I participate in Chen Tai Chi and there is this whole concept of Chi, that is, power through the core. They don't view it as core muscles, instead, it is this somewhat mystical force at your center. If your power comes from your core, you can fight indefinitely, it is the movement of the core that gives the power in the punch, and not the swinging of the arm. Windmilling the arm leads to exhaustion, and injury.

I see this in my own game, when I use arm technique, not power, and power from my lower body centered around the core, I throw not only more powerfully, but more accurately. As soon as my focus moves more to an arm throw, or to pulling with my legs too much, I get hurt in a hurry.

Good for you Iver!!
I'm 65 years old and know how you feel. I played in the Mulligan Stew tournament up at Blue Ribbon Pines, north of the Twin Cities. It was my second year playing however I had members of my league and my 11yr old Grandson rooting me on. I'm so glad that I picked this wonderful sport up 4yrs ago. After 15 orthopedic operations. The most recent was a revision of a partial knee replacement to a total knee replacement in November. I'm so happy to have the men and women on my league to keep my motivation up.
This is really the best sport for people in their older years. You walk on soft ground, you're outside in nature, and have great people. I honestly don't know where I would be without it.
You keep going and work hard on your goals. You'll get there.

years

You are throwing almost as far as I do at 40 and I do the three step setup. I average around 280ish on full power and sometimes get to 300-320.

I would suggest working on a forehand, seems a lot of people can get more distance with a standstill forehand than backhand. Still 280 is pretty good for a relatively new player no matter their age. Some of the very experienced players in their 60's aren't throwing 280.