• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Older Players

The argument usually states that there are too many age protected divisions. I tend to agree.

Explain

Please explain why a tournament as big as the Memorial (Scottsdale in two weeks) did not OFFER anything beyond Senior Grand Masters at time registration opened. If not enough sign up collapse entries into the lower group. As to trophies, if that is really important to you then you have other problems that need to be addressed some where else.

Please explain why a tournament as big as the Memorial (Scottsdale in two weeks) did not OFFER anything beyond Senior Grand Masters at time registration opened. If not enough sign up collapse entries into the lower group. As to trophies, if that is really important to you then you have other problems that need to be addressed some where else.

Have you tried contacting the TDs of the Memorial or any other tournament you want to play but doesn't offer Legends up front? They're really the only ones who can answer the question of why they're not offering it.

I would hazard a guess that they're like most other tournaments and have never had a demand for Legends therefore they haven't even considered offering it.

The argument usually states that there are too many age protected divisions. I tend to agree.

I've thought the same, and wonder why we don't have Masters from 45-59, Grandmasters from 60-74 & Legends from 75 & up... even though that would force me to 'move up' to tougher competition overall. Again, the Senior Games can have 5 year age divisions and be more accessible for a broader range of players who'd like to play against a tighter age range.

I have continually attempted to get TDs to offer older age groups. A large tournament, like the Memorial, should automatically offer all the age groups designated by PDGA. A stipulation should be on the entry form stating that if less than X number of players register entrants will be moved the closest available group. Simple.

I have continually attempted to get TDs to offer older age groups. A large tournament, like the Memorial, should automatically offer all the age groups designated by PDGA. A stipulation should be on the entry form stating that if less than X number of players register entrants will be moved the closest available group. Simple.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think X should be, how big should Y be (with Y being the maximum number of spots available for these divisions) and how far in advance should that X be met before eliminating a division and opening more spots for divisions that having waiting lists?

Also, how big in terms of total number of spots available should a tournament be before requiring them to offer all divisions?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think X should be, how big should Y be (with Y being the maximum number of spots available for these divisions) and how far in advance should that X be met before eliminating a division and opening more spots for divisions that having waiting lists?

Also, how big in terms of total number of spots available should a tournament be before requiring them to offer all divisions?

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be a TD?

A large tournament, like the Memorial, should automatically offer all the age groups designated by PDGA.

I strongly disagree. There are tons of reasons for TD's to limit divisions. (Although most of them do not apply to a huge event played on flat easy to walk courses like the Memorial)

Next time I see another hand-wringing, pearl-clutching thread stating something like, "I don't understand why everyone doesn't love disc golf as much as I do," I'm gonna post a link to this thread.

I thought it was great when the USDGC was one division, no handicaps, entry only by qualifying.

And though it didn't have the highest number of players, it had more than 95% of events, and in all other aspects, tournaments don't get any bigger.

Simple from your perspective. But doing things that way creates more headache for the TD for what is likely to be little benefit.

In your attempts to persuade TDs to offer these divisions, have you ever demonstrated there is truly a need for it? By that I mean shown them that there are X number of players that would readily sign up if it were offered?

I know that as a TD, I'd be far more willing to add a division to my registration forms if I knew that by doing so, I'd be assured of at least 3-4 players signing up for it (rather than blindly hoping for some). And if I did get that many or more signed up, I'd very much be inclined to offer the division right up front without being asked the following year.

On the other hand, it would only take a year of having to monitor deadlines, fold single-player-divisions into larger ones, and contacting waitlisters to fill those unused spots before I'd give up holding spaces for every single division the PDGA has.

Simple from your perspective. But doing things that way creates more headache for the TD for what is likely to be little benefit.

In your attempts to persuade TDs to offer these divisions, have you ever demonstrated there is truly a need for it? By that I mean shown them that there are X number of players that would readily sign up if it were offered?

I know that as a TD, I'd be far more willing to add a division to my registration forms if I knew that by doing so, I'd be assured of at least 3-4 players signing up for it (rather than blindly hoping for some). And if I did get that many or more signed up, I'd very much be inclined to offer the division right up front without being asked the following year.

On the other hand, it would only take a year of having to monitor deadlines, fold single-player-divisions into larger ones, and contacting waitlisters to fill those unused spots before I'd give up holding spaces for every single division the PDGA has.

When you hit 50 or 60 you'll understand better where Iver is coming from.

Ever notice a trending theme in threads like this?

Namely the part where someone else has to accommodate the complainant, rather than the complainant taking it upon themselves to perhaps run/promote the event they would want to play in.

Ever notice a trending theme in threads like this?

Namely the part where someone else has to accommodate the complainant, rather than the complainant taking it upon themselves to perhaps run/promote the event they would want to play in.

Not every player can start a new tournament. There need to be more players than TDs. Otherwise, all we would have is 1-person tournaments. Albeit, perfectly suited to that one person - with no complaints ever.

When you hit 50 or 60 you'll understand better where Iver is coming from.

When you TD, you'll understand better where JC is coming from.

......or perhaps you do, and it's a foolish assumption on my part. Then again, I hit 50 a good while back, and am about to hit 60, and though I understand Iver's disappointment, I agree with JC.

(With a touch of surprise that none of the TDs he contacted will offer Seniors. I'm not surprised that some won't, but around here there are tournaments eager for participants, who'll accommodate just about anything.)

Not every player can start a new tournament. There need to be more players than TDs. Otherwise, all we would have is 1-person tournaments. Albeit, perfectly suited to that one person - with no complaints ever.

Every player doesn't have to. But players who think they have a better idea, have the opportunity to demonstrate it.

If someone doesn't like how a PDGA-sanctioned event is being run, it doesn't make sense to contact the organization who is sanctioning the event? Really? Please explain.

First of all, I'll be 60 next month and have already seen/experienced ageism/division discrimination in regards to pdga events.

The pdga has given TDs certain rights and responsibilities when running sanctioned events.

3.8 D: TDs may not refuse services to anyone on the basis of discrimination reflecting race, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation and/or religion.

There is no mention of age or division in this document. Until the wording is changed in the document to include age related discrimination, the pdga's hands are tied on this issue. TDs don't have to offer divisions if they don't want to. The pdga is not going to tell a TD to include any division to any tournament.

Nobody's refusing players based on age. They're just not always granting them their own division.

When you TD, you'll understand better where JC is coming from.

......or perhaps you do, and it's a foolish assumption on my part. Then again, I hit 50 a good while back, and am about to hit 60, and though I understand Iver's disappointment, I agree with JC.

While not a complete geezer like David :D i too am over 50. In the past year I have played both Open and Masters in events where Grandmasters was not offered for one reason or another. In the past year I have also run events where we had a sizable field of Senior Grandmasters and events where no age based divisions were offered at all- again, for one reason or another.

The idea that the offering/not offering of a division constitutes "ageism" or "discrimination" on the part of a TD is absurd. Calling it such just undermines the entire conversation.