• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One day in Portland

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm going to have a full Saturday and a rental car in Portland, OR, at the end of February. I am planning to play either Horning's Hideout or Riverbend. For anyone who has played both which way should I go and why? I don't think I can do both. I may try to hit other courses in the same area as whichever I go to. On Sunday morning, I'll probably play Pier Park before heading to the airport.

I guess if I was you I would play Riverbend, after that you can also play Timber, which is close by. If you decide on Horning's, leave early and you could play Meadow Ridge and Canyon at Horning's, then run over to Buxton Woods. Those are all solid courses.

Hornings & Buxton are excellent courses, but Milo is widely regarded as one of the world's best. Not to mention that if you watch dg videos, the BSF and 2014 Worlds will mean more to you -- as will the Philobatross.

Good to see Pier is in your plans for Sunday. It was a cathedral vibe.

Milo is my favorite course, but that's when both layouts for the fling are in. You miss out on a few of the best holes imo when only the 27 are in and I think that's why it's not in the top ten on here imo.

You really can't go wrong no matter which option you choose though

Both are great venues, so you're good either way. Make sure you hit Pier Park before you hit town, though. Its not to be missed! Just seeing that cool bridge nearby is amazing in itself.

I suppose it depends on the kind of golf that you're after. If you're after playing on a championship level course, choose Milo, if you're after some bucolic frisbees-in-the-woods type golf, go Horning's. Both are great, though I maintain that the sum is greater than the parts at Horning's. The courses are average to above average on their own, but the setting and having all on site make it a destination. Also, depending on how seriously you take your game, some people have issues with the baskets at Horning's.

From a pure golf standpoint, Milo is superior. BionicRib is correct about the BSF layouts being the best, but the 27 hole layout is great too. The one caveat I'd say is that it's a much less impressive experience if the baskets happen to be in the short positions.

If it were me and I could only pick one, I'd probably go for Milo, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Milo is slightly over rated (IMHO, it's a beautiful DG sanctuary, but it lacks what Pier offers overall and is a haul to get there) , I'd play Pier Park all day the next time I visit PDX.

I may go too. Does it rain erry day in March over there?

No. It is 56 and sunny today, and is going to be for the next 9 days. But if I were betting, you'll get rain.

Pier is my home course. Milo is my favorite course, and I play it probably 30+ times per year (used to be more). Hornings is wonderful, tighter, woodsy, wonderlandish. I agree that it, as a complete package, rivals Milo. But no single Hornings' course rivals Milo.

Milo is truly one of the finest courses on earth. Pier is really fun and special. But not on the same level.

Beer round maybe?

Milo is slightly over rated (IMHO, it's a beautiful DG sanctuary, but it lacks what Pier offers overall and is a haul to get there) , I'd play Pier Park all day the next time I visit PDX.

This is nonsense.

I live minutes from Pier and play it probably 75-100 times per year. I feel honored to have it as my home course. It doesn't hold a candle to Milo. Which is, from Pier, about 45 minutes away. Hardly what I would call "a haul".

If you like playing in trees, Pier offers more of that than Milo does. But Milo is world class.

I suppose it depends on the kind of golf that you're after. If you're after playing on a championship level course, choose Milo, if you're after some bucolic frisbees-in-the-woods type golf, go Horning's. Both are great, though I maintain that the sum is greater than the parts at Horning's. The courses are average to above average on their own, but the setting and having all on site make it a destination. Also, depending on how seriously you take your game, some people have issues with the baskets at Horning's.

From a pure golf standpoint, Milo is superior. BionicRib is correct about the BSF layouts being the best, but the 27 hole layout is great too. The one caveat I'd say is that it's a much less impressive experience if the baskets happen to be in the short positions.

If it were me and I could only pick one, I'd probably go for Milo, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Excellent point about Milo in all shorts. The technical golf is dimished greatly. The experience really isn't though.

This is all spot on.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

I really enjoyed both Milo and Pier but I'd hardly say that Milo is over rated.

No. It is 56 and sunny today, and is going to be for the next 9 days. But if I were betting, you'll get rain.

Pier is my home course. Milo is my favorite course, and I play it probably 30+ times per year (used to be more). Hornings is wonderful, tighter, woodsy, wonderlandish. I agree that it, as a complete package, rivals Milo. But no single Hornings' course rivals Milo.

Milo is truly one of the finest courses on earth. Pier is really fun and special. But not on the same level.

Beer round maybe?

Cool. How do I set up a bag? I come from course with lots of max distance needed. I could get away with a much smaller bag for the flight if I don't need a bunch of those.

Heck yeah to the beer round. Send me a PM when we get closer.

If you have the arm to score birdies at Milo you will love it. If you don't you may not enjoy it as much, but should still be in awe of it's beauty and overall design....

Cool. How do I set up a bag? I come from course with lots of max distance needed. I could get away with a much smaller bag for the flight if I don't need a bunch of those.

Heck yeah to the beer round. Send me a PM when we get closer.

Depends whether you choose Milo or Hornings. Milo, lots of max D. Hornings, lots of Rocs. Pier, you will need a balance.

Beer round maybe?

b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821db02098b3551f8f.jpg

Latest posts