• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Overstable comparison Verdict Harp Gator

seedlings

* Ace Member *
The other day I turned and burned my Lucid-X Chris Clemons Verdict. It ticked me off because that was supposed to be my beefy wind mid. That disc isn't used too often and hasn't suffered a great many tree hits. It has several very hard hits, but not a ton. I started a thread about discs that will never turn, and went back to that to see what mid I could get that will hold up to headwind. At the Dynamic Discs store today they were out of Drones. Out of Justice. I didn't want a Zone, so I grabbed a DX Gator. I had enough credit to get a DX, but not enough for a Champ or Star. I know the DX won't be as stable, but I wanted to try it anyway. Since it was windy YET AGAIN, I went straight down to the nearest course to throw the BT Soft Harp vs the Lucid-x Verdict vs the new DX Gator. I use the Harp all the time on almost every hole. It has slightly fewer tree hits than the Verdict.

Again today, Verdict turns and almost burns completely, with just enough fade to land flat. That's nice, but 50 feet right doesn't help. I could almost get it to roll.

Harp was astonishingly stable, no turn at all into that wind. Really I am kinda shocked. It went straight on a rope, then faded nice at the end - not hard, but it faded... I would never have grabbed that for a 250' shot into the wind, but now I know. I threw it as hard as I could and couldn't get any turn. Wow. BT Soft plastic.

So now let me say that the Verdict is noticeably larger diameter than the Gator. I lined them up on end and the Verdict is larger than the Harp, and the Harp is larger than the Gator.

Gator is comfortable but more domey (Harp and Verdict are flat) than I expected. I could get the slightest brief turn with a hard fade. I threw very hard into the stiff headwind about 10 times. I could get the Harp and the Gator farther than the Verdict today. On a calm day, I am quite sure the Verdict will have longest distance.

So, overall, I underestimated the Harp, overestimated the Verdict, and like the Gator. Gator will temporarily replace the Verdict. But... I'll throw them all more, and if the DX Gator starts turning, the Harp will be grand champion of my overstable mids until I decide to grab a Drone. If I even need one.

Too bad you don't like/want a Zone. The Z Zone is (IMO) the best overstable mid/putter on the market. The thing won't turn into a hurricane. It glides like crap, and you can throw it as hard as you want without worrying about it going haywire right.

I guess it depends how overstable you want to go here. A Harp will cover most shots, but the Zone is beefier and a little more glideless.

Switch to a better plastic Gator and you'll probably have that slot covered as well.

I love Trilogy plastic in general but I bag something else for my overstable bookends. Trilogy is for cyclable molds. If you want an OS hog that stays that way forever, I'd look to Discraft or Innova.

I love Trilogy plastic in general but I bag something else for my overstable bookends. Trilogy is for cyclable molds. If you want an OS hog that stays that way forever, I'd look to Discraft or Innova.

I ordered a Presnell Drone today. Off ebay because I couldn't find a Drone in stock.

What about an Anvil? That's a great Trilogy disc that is very OS, will not turn, and has little glide. The VIP-X ones on DD's website are board flat.

Last edited:
Not true at all. I use to throw the Quake (similar to the Zone) for forehand approaches. I now throw the Anvil and they are more OS than the Quake and also do not have a bead which allows for a very smooth release. Get one of the VIP X ones and you will not be sorry. I would look up some other reviews online to confirm what I'm saying.

I throw Verdicts and I would not say they are even close to my Anvils.

I think you'll like the Drone. I don't bag one anymore because I just don't need something *that* overstable at all four speed classes in my bag, but it should be the stability you are looking for and in a very durable plastic. Drone bookend + Verdict for straight-to-fade should be a nice combo on the beefy end of your mids.

Latest posts