• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

Here's a thought...

If I am a TD?Official and I see a rules violation and it's pretty obvious the rest of the card sees the same violation could/should I call a courtesy violation on the entire card based on section 812.B.2? If people on the card are not enforcing the rules they should ALL get a warning. Then tell them I see this happen again where one of them violates any rule and it's obvious they are either not paying attention or just ignoring it then the entire card gets a stroke...Just sorta thinking out loud here.

I confirmed this rule with a PDGA official at one point.

The card is required to watch every shot per the rules for this reason to enforce the rules.

If card mates are not enforcing the rules, they are breaking the rules by not watching the shot essentially.

And, honestly, when you're waiting excessive time on a tee shot, you should be calling it. After someone faffs about on the tee pad for a minute, your interest in watching their shot is about none.

Theoretically, you could, lets say, foot fault. Nobody calls you on it, and you could call a courtesy violation on your card mates for not watching your shot. As they should have called you on a foot fault. So since they did not call your error, they were not watching.

This was the situation that I brought to the official, about calling your team mates on not watching your shot, as its in the rules they must.
So if they dont call your error, that means they were not watching.

After you've done it 2 times, a TD will be called to officiate your card. Let them know that you called them on what rule as they are not calling you on your error, and you dropped a curtsey violation on them for not following the rule.

The down side at this point is that a lot of TD's will probably roll their eyes about it and think you're an idiot for this "petty" thing.
But a good TD will recognize what you're doing.

The reality is that this rule is a way for you to enforce your cards inability to enforce the rules. haha

Although Paul didn't mention it in his IG posts about Nikko's suspension, Charlie Eisenhood mentioned that at the time the PDGA handed out Bradley Williams' suspension, the PDGA wasn't at all transparent about their process, and determining the length of the suspension.

Given the current situation, it doesn't appear much has changed in that regard. I think it's the PDGA'S lack of transparency that really got under McBeth's skin.

While I don't agree with Paul's description of the interaction between Nikko and the official, I do agree the PDGA needs to be completely transparent about how they arrived at Class A, 9 month suspension/24 month probation.

There's no reason there shouldn't put it out there for all to see.

At the time, there was no transparency in the process. The PDGA disciplinary process of what offenses lead to what was born out of the Williams situation.

To say there is no transparency when there is a public list of offenses and a 7 page document that explains the entire process and what offenses fall into category and how certain actions can increase or reduce a penalty is simply inaccurate.

It's cute how you seem to think that just because someone can throw a round piece of plastic really good that automatically means they deserve more respect.

Nailed it. Some offense meant to pro's on this statement from me, But Pro's legitimately have no clue most of the time. They are completely out of touch, self centered and absolutely lost. They have no self worth to enforce the rules as it goes during a round, so listening to a pro talk about how "rules are unfair" when the rules are not applied is absolute hogwash.

The one thing that Paul's take screams to me is "this guy obviously has never had to work a normal job or face consequences of violating workplace rules"

This is an educational and parental issue that's driven by poor culture.
Trying to coddle kids more and more has lead to the idea that people don't understand consequences for poor actions, as they are constantly rewarded for winning, loosing, or doing bad things.

Neither have I but was wondering if this were even an option...Pretty sure this isn't something I would be that punitive about. But, seems like maybe this is a conversation that needs to start occurring between TDs/Officials and problematic cards.

If you wanted to be cheeky about it, I'd say it in a way of setting a weird level of expectations. "We have a lot of certified officials on the course. We expect fair play, and we expect you to enforce the rules as listed under blah blah clause. If you are incapable of enforcing the rules per x clause, a certified official on the course at the time may or may not call you on this violation for (whatever the penalty is, which I think is a warning the first time)"

As a certified official and staff on the course when we host our silver/elite series event, I am capable of calling violations. I don't think that pro's understand this.

I would think that this should be something the TD should discuss during the Players' meeting, maybe even take the first few minutes of that meeting...

< lives in a utopia where players actually listen to the TD during the players' meeting.

Oh that utopia. Haha, none of them pay attention. None of them read the signs, none of them look at the caddy book.
You literally have to hold their hand through the course as they don their helmets and equip their crayons.

Pretty clear that Paul thought the circumstances surrounding the call were complete BS. Glad to have him in my corner on this.

it really all about graduating to a decent enforceable set of rules.
You're funny.

Yeah. How would you call that when calling 30 seconds has apparently divided disc golf?

Not enforcing the rules at all over the years has caused the divide in disc golf.
Everyone is so used to breaking the rules at will with no consequences that when somebody does get called, it's obviously because of some other reason than they broke the rules.

Rules are not rules unless they are enforced.

My take - I've watched baseball managers give umpires 10x what Locastro did.

Understood the volunteer vs. professional piece, but the manager gets ejected and is back in the dugout the next night.

Nine months?! He didn't lay a finger on the guy, spit on him, even cuss him out. Nothing.

PDGA are babies if they think that minor tantrum merits such action. They understand some folks get hot when in competition no?

I was kind of waiting for someone to say this. Baseball is the anomaly. Few other sports allow the stageshow, of ump confrontation that baseball does. I mean, hockey allows fighting, that certainly does not translate to fighting being OK in other sports.

If anyone confronts me the way Nikko did, I am interpreting it as a threat. It is a fist fight posture...I don't know how that is interpreted any differently. Then to do it repeatedly?

Perhaps this kind of theatrics, is where some feel the game should head? But, I think if those people really thought that through......

Yeah, taking these last 2 together.
It's expected that managers get in the face of the umpire. They have literally recorded some of these conversations and its them discussing what they were going to have for dinner even though it looked like it was a heated argument.

Golf is a gentlemans sport.
That means to act in accordance of proper etiquette.
Ala, "Dont be a douchebag, play fair, and all calls are in proper form of enforcing the rules, not picking on somebody"

Understood the volunteer vs. professional piece, but the manager gets ejected and is back in the dugout the next night.

Nine months?! He didn't lay a finger on the guy, spit on him, even cuss him out. Nothing.

PDGA are babies if they think that minor tantrum merits such action. They understand some folks get hot when in competition no?

Spot on with this. A total overreaction to single out Nikko IMO. All to cover their lack of a sensible collection of rules, which goes far beyond the time penalty procedure.

We can disagree over the punishment all day long, but we have to stop comparing this to other sports.

A physical fight in hockey is a 5 Min penalty and you are right back out there 99 out of 100 times. A physical fight in other sports is a game suspension. Others it's years.

To point out that other sports punishment would be different, all I respond with is "yeah, so?"

The punishments ARE public and are available. And they were presented on, allowed public comment on and voted on at a pubic BOD meeting with players, including Paul McBeth, in attendance.

As long as we are comparing disc golf to other sports, I shall quote myself from the other thread:

In water polo, "to refuse obedience to or show disrespect for a referee or official" is grounds for for the player to be ejected for the duration of the game. This rule is strictly applied, and makes a potentially rough game much more polite.

Seems reasonable for people throwing Frisbees to be held to a similar standard.

Makes me wonder if you actually play disc golf?
Your reaction throughout this thread has made it clear that you do. I don't think anyone ignorant of the rules could unintentionally apply so much completely wrong input regarding how people tend to react to being called on rules violations. You act like people don't call 30 seconds with at least enough frequency that we don't get to see it. The way Nikko reacted was completely and totally outlandish especially for someone who has been playing PDGA sanctioned events for almost 20 years and understands exactly what the rules are and how they will be enforced if/when applied. While I agree the rules can be improved, Nikko Locastro is absolutely completely and totally to blame for everything associated with his reaction and absolutely nothing to do with the structure of the rules contributed to that. He has been playing under these rules for 20 damn years, no part of this rule is a mystery or confusing to him. None of it is surprising to him. None of it is unexpected to him.

I didn't realize that we modeled our sport after professional baseball.

Is that kind of behavior acceptable in every sport?

What would happen if you did that in ball golf?

Beyond that, a tantrum would have been something along the lines of Nikko kicking his bag and swearing.

His actions were past a simple tantrum in this incident.

I think it's reasonable to have a discussion about what is tolerable behavior and make comparisons to other sports. Personally I'd prefer if disc golf were more like baseball where players could throw a tantrum and kick dirt at the officials. That seems like the minority opinion. I do wonder though if it's just the "online" crowd that is all "won't somebody think of the children" over this.

I think it's reasonable to have a discussion about what is tolerable behavior and make comparisons to other sports. Personally I'd prefer if disc golf were more like baseball where players could throw a tantrum and kick dirt at the officials. That seems like the minority opinion. I do wonder though if it's just the "online" crowd that is all "won't somebody think of the children" over this.

No it isn't. Nikko was quite the topic at our league this past Sunday. The consensus was that Nikko's behavior is unacceptable.

I don't know if you're serious about the whole tantrum thing but if you are I'd encourage you to start your own DG league where tantrums are a thing. Let us know how that works out for you.

I do wonder though if it's just the "online" crowd that is all "won't somebody think of the children" over this.
I haven't heard any "won't somebody think of the children" over this. Not at all. If anything its been: "why won't Nikko stop acting like a poorly behaved child?"

Your reaction throughout this thread has made it clear that you do. I don't think anyone ignorant of the rules could unintentionally apply so much completely wrong input regarding how people tend to react to being called on rules violations. You act like people don't call 30 seconds with at least enough frequency that we don't get to see it. The way Nikko reacted was completely and totally outlandish especially for someone who has been playing PDGA sanctioned events for almost 20 years and understands exactly what the rules are and how they will be enforced if/when applied. While I agree the rules can be improved, Nikko Locastro is absolutely completely and totally to blame for everything associated with his reaction and absolutely nothing to do with the structure of the rules contributed to that. He has been playing under these rules for 20 damn years, no part of this rule is a mystery or confusing to him. None of it is surprising to him. None of it is unexpected to him.

Please point out another instance where a player was penalized for slow play on the 18th hole after being on the clock for at least the previous 13-14 holes. I really doubt it exists as most people see the futility of applying the penalty in that situation.

Please point out another instance where a player was penalized for slow play on the 18th hole after being on the clock for at least the previous 13-14 holes. I really doubt it exists as most people see the futility of applying the penalty in that situation.
Nikko Locastro is absolutely completely and totally to blame for everything associated with his reaction and absolutely nothing to do with the structure of the rules contributed to that. He has been playing under these rules for 20 damn years, no part of this rule is a mystery or confusing to him. None of it is surprising to him. None of it is unexpected to him.

NOT. ONE. BIT. OF. IT.

Nikko Locastro is absolutely completely and totally to blame for everything associated with his reaction and absolutely nothing to do with the structure of the rules contributed to that. He has been playing under these rules for 20 damn years, no part of this rule is a mystery or confusing to him. None of it is surprising to him. None of it is unexpected to him.

NOT. ONE. BIT. OF. IT.

I will say that he did not expect enforcement to come as it did. Charging like a bull out of nowhere on the last damn shot. One unprofessional act caused another unprofessional act and i won't waver on that until we hear differently from Nikko.

And when someone take it just the tiniest bit further and injury is realized from a fight? Your future is one where violations are contested with assault and the opportunity to coerce your competition into revoking the call?

Your take is outside my adult realm. Sorry, hoping to see aggression and potential violence in disc golf is an adolescent take. This gibberish IS the fodder of the "online" crowd. I don't see the PDGA, nor the DGPT heading down this path.

In discussions in my few leagues and casual play, I have heard NO similar opinions....or any honest attempt to justify or defend Nikko's actions. NONE.

Latest posts