• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

Jules B

Par Member
Yywhje7Kr8LCCogQ6

I've been checking YouTube daily, Google searching for something more in-depth than just throwing in a field with no comparison. Well, the weather was finally not wet and or freezing so I took a few discs out to the football field at lunch and this is my thoughts and review of the Luna.

I took 2 Luna 173- 174g, 2 S-line P2, 1 Innova Nova, and 1 Innova Star Rat, The wind was blowing hard. According to the google, it was 18MPh I think it was a little harder than that. Either way, these are the results. The wind was blowing left to right or right to left depending on the end zone I threw from.

The Luna didn't seem phased by the wind. Thrown hard and flat with spin it tracked Laser straight, I'm talking frozen tight rope straight. I measured one of the throws at 271ft which was probably about the average distance I was getting. I had a few that may have gone 5ft or so further or shorter. As a thrower the Luna is MONEY....PERIOD

The P2's have been my putter for 2 years now and I couldn't get much more than 250... MAYBE, and that was on a fantastic throw. The P2's are hypersensitive to the wind and the power I put on them. Sometimes it might have gone KIND of straight or right but nothing consistent no matter what I did. WINNER LUNA

The Nova is my normal approach disc and one that took me a long time to throw to dial in. I now throw further and way smoother because of the Nova. So it has a special place with me. In no wind, I can get laser straight lines with 0 fade out to 250ft no problem. Today though the Nova was completely useless, it might as well been a kite. It's also more sensitive to torque compared to the Luna. Again the Luna is the clear winner, better in the wind, and easier to throw ( less sensitive)

The last disc that I took out was my Star Rat. I figured its the utility mid that I use to putt in the wind or when I need HARD fade. The rat flew overall fantastic when thrown completely flat, it flew with either very minimal or no turn at all. The throws that weren't flat were completely different, the wind exaggerated the fade and the rat would crash HARD! I even had it go 150 ft, the find pushed it down, it landed on edge and the proceded to roll backward toward me about 50ft. Yeah, it was that windy. The Luna's slow to no fade meant at worst case the drifted 10 feet left or right depending on the wind. NOexagerated dumps when not thrown completely flat. The Luna didn't penalize the nonflat throw as much as the Rat.

This is the most surprising thing to me. The Luna's were easily every time, and I mean every time further than the Rat. This really surprised me, I didn't expect that in the wind. I can throw the rat with a power grip full out and the Luna I throw with more of a fan grip that I throw Putters with. Somehow they out glided the Rat I guess, either way, the Luna's won the day as a thrower.

Nothing that I brought flew as far or as straight and as consistently as the Luna. On a calm day, the Nova will go laser straight but would be about 30ft short at least.

Now as a putter. I putt S-line p2, I have for over 2 years. I love the grip and within 20 feet-ish I have no problems, 25 ish, for the most parts I don't have a problem but every now and then I have a habit of hitting the front/top of the cage... an inch too low.

The Luna are STIFF (insert inappropriate joke here) and that's coming from someone used to putting S-line plastic so that is taking some getting used to. However, the Luna flight straighter, and stay in the air longer when compared to the P2. I'm hitting center pole easier at the same range compared to the P2, at longer range I'm still hitting chains with the Luna's when the P2 is hitting front cage unless I add more power or throw higher and let them fall down into the basket/ pole.

Long story short, I'm 99% sure the Nova is coming out of the bag as my shorter/ straight approach disc, and I'm about 99% sure the P2's are coming out as my main putters.

Overall Paul McB and Discraft did their thing with the Luna's...

One last thing. As an upshot disc the Nova with the rubber over mold STOP on a dime, no slide, no skip. The Luna's seem to slide about 2 to 3 disc lengths more compared to where the Nova would have hit the brakes. The Luna's with the rubber blend, however, do slide probably less than half the distance of other harder plastics like S, D, DX etc.

Do you have any experience with the aviar 3? That's my current throwing putter and I'm wondering how it compares.

I really love how the LUNA flies and it´s nice to putt with. . .BUT i need more plastic types to make a switch to LUNA for putting and throwing. . .it´s just to hard and slick for Nordic climate

Give me a normal JB LUNA for putting and a premium plastic for throwing and i´m all in . . .

Nice review but I have a hard time forming opinions about discs in near 20 mph winds, especially putters.

Then here is my take on putting, indoors for a putting league. I have been practice putting for a couple weeks now with the Luna. I usually putt with at least a microbead so it took some time to get used to. However I have noticed the same thing the OP experienced with putts. Straight glidey putts and that doesn't change in a headwind. If you can get a little spin on it, it just goes straight, no dips no lifts, just straight. It's a really forgiving putter. Once it's dialed in it just finds chains. This is coming from someone who is usually a terrible putter on the course but the disc is super comfortable in the hand, and it releases cleanly every time and I know exactly where it's going after release. It got me 4th in my putting league last week and first this week. My favorite part is that because of rubber jawbreaker blend these things show absolutely no chain wear which I have had a problem with every single putter I use, which means minus big gashes from hitting cage, hanger and the ground, the feel around the rim is just as smooth as the day I threw my first putt. These are already in my bag, 2 for driving (until more plastics come) and 2 for putting and upshots. Very pleased with the mold and the new blend of plastic

Crazy to hear that people think its too hard and slick. Its pretty decent on stiffness, I dont think its that stiff at all. And the plastic that it is in is pretty grippy. I could never use it because its way to grippy.

Crazy to hear that people think its too hard and slick. Its pretty decent on stiffness, I dont think its that stiff at all. And the plastic that it is in is pretty grippy. I could never use it because its way to grippy.

Well it´s -2°C here and wet. . thats helps to get LUNA hard and slick.

It´s not as bad as McPro AVIAR, ,but bad enough .

I've been putting S line plastic, and I live in the south so they are pretty soft by comparison. I do agree though I have felt much stiffer plastic in putters.

As for putting in the wind. The putts were indoor, that's were the putting comparison is made. I'm also in a putting league and the first night with the Luna's will be tomorrow. So I'm curious as the how my score will differ compared to the p2s

I tried some Luna's in putting league last night. Love how they feel, but for me they are too hard and slick to be consistent with. Switched back to my soft pure's and all was well again. I'm going to do some practice throws with them to see if they may fit the slot for my approach disc. Otherwise they'll go in a box till it's time to sell them.

I tried some Luna's in putting league last night. Love how they feel, but for me they are too hard and slick to be consistent with. Switched back to my soft pure's and all was well again. I'm going to do some practice throws with them to see if they may fit the slot for my approach disc. Otherwise they'll go in a box till it's time to sell them.

Just like with other firm putters, they become grippier as they break in but you're talking about going from fairly soft plastic to this firm rubber blend so I'm not surprised you thought they were too stiff

I've been putting S line plastic, and I live in the south so they are pretty soft by comparison. I do agree though I have felt much stiffer plastic in putters.

As for putting in the wind. The putts were indoor, that's were the putting comparison is made. I'm also in a putting league and the first night with the Luna's will be tomorrow. So I'm curious as the how my score will differ compared to the p2s

Hmmm, S Line plastic (Star) isn't necessarily the stiffest in my experience. A lot of Star/S Line is pretty middle of the road in flexibility. Different runs of Star do vary a bit in stiffness too; some of the older Star I've handled was a lot stiffer than the stuff produced in the last 7 years or so. KC Pro/Putter Pro type plastic is pretty often stiffer than Star though. I think most people don't putt with Star because the grip, not because of the stiffness. Particularly when it's wet, it can get pretty slick.

So if the Luna blend is more flexible than S Line then I agree with Horsman that I don't think that's all that stiff. Cold temps do tend to make plastic stiffer though so it could be related to where people live and what they're comparing to.

So from what I'm reading (correct me if I'm wrong) everyone who has Lunas on here is spin putters, but unfortunately I'm a push putter, so it doesn't really mean much to me (the extra glide sounds interesting and mild fade sounds really promising over my Rhynos), but without a push putter review (and a confirmation of more plastic options as well as a stock release date), I'm gonna hold off on getting my hopes up. I guess I'll have to stick to the Focus and Chally for now.

So from what I'm reading (correct me if I'm wrong) everyone who has Lunas on here is spin putters, but unfortunately I'm a push putter, so it doesn't really mean much to me (the extra glide sounds interesting and mild fade sounds really promising over my Rhynos), but without a push putter review (and a confirmation of more plastic options as well as a stock release date), I'm gonna hold off on getting my hopes up. I guess I'll have to stick to the Focus and Chally for now.

I'm a hybrid putter, a little bit of wrist snap at the end of an extension that isn't completely straight. If you are a pure push putter, stiffer plastic is generally the way to go for most push putters, and yes the extra glide and mild fade make predicting the outcome of those push putts easier

Hmmm, S Line plastic (Star) isn't necessarily the stiffest in my experience. A lot of Star/S Line is pretty middle of the road in flexibility. Different runs of Star do vary a bit in stiffness too; some of the older Star I've handled was a lot stiffer than the stuff produced in the last 7 years or so. KC Pro/Putter Pro type plastic is pretty often stiffer than Star though. I think most people don't putt with Star because the grip, not because of the stiffness. Particularly when it's wet, it can get pretty slick.

So if the Luna blend is more flexible than S Line then I agree with Horsman that I don't think that's all that stiff. Cold temps do tend to make plastic stiffer though so it could be related to where people live and what they're comparing to.

Sorry if I confused you. The star (S-line) is way softer than the Luna. I'm used to the softer grip of the S line plastic so the Luna being firm is taking some getting used to.

The Luna firmness is hard to explain. I guess the best way would be it's firmer than champion but not as firm as kc pro

Last edited:
Sorry if I confused you. The star (S-line) is way softer than the Luna. I'm used to the softer grip of the S line plastic so the Luna being firm is taking some getting used to.

The Luna firmness is hard to explain. I guess the best way would be it's firmer than champion but not as firm as kc pro

You just described MVP's Electron Firm or Gateway's Eraser. Is that close?
Man, I hope so; I love the feel of either.

The P2's have been my putter for 2 years now and I couldn't get much more than 250... MAYBE, and that was on a fantastic throw. The P2's are hypersensitive to the wind and the power I put on them. Sometimes it might have gone KIND of straight or right but nothing consistent no matter what I did. WINNER LUNA

I have to disagree with your assessment of the P2. I can throw the S- or C- lines as hard as I can (340', +/-, max overall D 500'+) with absolutely zero turn, even in wind. It's all about the spin:speed ratio. Granted I haven't thrown the Luna but it sounds just like a P2. Just my $0.02.

You just described MVP's Electron Firm or Gateway's Eraser. Is that close?
Man, I hope so; I love the feel of either.

Stiffness level is pretty even with these two plastics but there is an extra grittiness that's really unique you can only find on the jawbreaker blends, little raised bumps that give an extra feel and grip that I fell in love with on day one

Stiffness level is pretty even with these two plastics but there is an extra grittiness that's really unique you can only find on the jawbreaker blends, little raised bumps that give an extra feel and grip that I fell in love with on day one

My Jawbreakers (Roach, Zone, Banger)are pretty smooth. Tacky but no raised bumps. Not that that sounds bad, just not what I have seen

Latest posts