• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pay for an Ace?

what do you pay for an ace?

• Pat him on the back and say, "Way to go!".

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Give him a dollar.

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • give him 5 dollars.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • give him your car, and you will pay him a gazillion dollar in installments.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I saw this photo uploaded the other day and thought it was a good idea for people that like to write things on the basket.

13e41ac3_m.jpg

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=3314&mode=gal

We do 1-5 club here in Durham, but it's mostly all locals that know each other and know who else is in the club. If someone that isn't a 1-5er hits an ace I will give them a dollar if I see it, but nothing for metal. I have also heard of doing 1-3-5 for metal-chains-ace, but I think that is going too far.

And signing the basket is technically vandalism, the same way that smoking pot is technically against the law- as in only lame people have a problem with it.

51 thats what I have always heard and have always played it. 5 for an ace and 1 for basket or above.

We do $1 for ANY metal, whether it is pole, basket, or chains. Much easier on blind holes cuz you can just listen.

I saw this photo uploaded the other day and thought it was a good idea for people that like to write things on the basket.

13e41ac3_m.jpg

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=3314&mode=gal

Thats great if people actually used it but I have seen a trend that is growing by the way, that now they sign the tee sign, pad, and baskets. WTF???? I have been playing for almost 8 years and have never noticed it till bout a year ago. Why do people do this? It is dumb a$$ $hit and it makes the parks look like it too. Cities arent going to put courses in the ground if people are going to write things all over the place.

so only "lame" people have a problem with defacing property?...guess i am lame..how bout i sign my name on your car because i like it and hit it with my disc

the way we play is if anyone aces while we are all playing.... then we all chip in and buy him a dx disc of his choice. there has only been one person to ace.

I agree that it is nothing more than vandalism. A lot of course have places that you can record your ace. A couple around here have sheets on the bulletin boards at the start of the course. I have also noticed a growing trend where people write on the baskets, signs, and tees. Even saw a hole where someone used the trash can as a place to record their ace. If you want to record it, do it in a designated area, or on your disc like most golfers.

And signing the basket is technically vandalism, the same way that smoking pot is technically against the law- as in only lame people have a problem with it.

so only "lame" people have a problem with defacing property?...guess i am lame..how bout i sign my name on your car because i like it and hit it with my disc

Damn... I was gonna post exactly what 80played said... well except for the part about liking his car... and the part about signing my name, instead I'd probably Sharpie on "This used to be your favorite driver, now it's your favorite dented driver. Ha!". Yeah only someone totally lame would have a problem with that.

I think that payment for an ace all depends on what your group has decided upon. My close group of friends that I always play with have a rule that it is 10 bucks for an ace and if by some chance someone doesn't get one that year, (which never happens) it goes up to 20 bucks. It makes it a little more fun except when your the only person who doesn't have an ace and you've already payed out for 6 this year. So it all depends on what your group decides upon. If someone I rarely golf with gets an ace, im certainly not giving him any money.

Side note - You guys think that paying buck for basket and 5 for ace is bad...I once bet my friend 100 dollars he couldnt drive 400 some feet over a pond and land on the other side and he did. I was pissed but Im a man of my word and now have the knowledge never to make a stupid bet again.

Yeah, cuz that's exactly the same thing as signing a piece of metal that is intended to be outdoors. I have no problem with signing benches either- it really isn't hurting anything. Now signing the sign is different, because that likely interferes with the ability to see it.

And it involves way less skill to hit a car. And if you do hit my car with a disc and then sign it, I'm gonna do the same to your face.

Very un-Dude-like of you.

Just shows the mental compacity of people on this site I guess. Are yall 8 years old or maybe 9?

Really though folks, what is the harm of someones name and date written on the basket. Does it interfere with its ability to catch discs? Does it make it harder to see? Can the writing even be seen from over 10ft away? If you people need to get your panties in a wad about something, worry about trash and cigarette butts on the course and real vandalism, not someone recording their ace in a manner that has no ill effects on anyone or anything.

Last edited:
Just shows the mental compacity of people on this site I guess. Are yall 8 years old or maybe 9?

I'm about 6 months from having a PhD in genetics, have a genetics BS with a 3.8 from Texas A&M (no grade inflation for Aggies), was valedictorian of a class of 200 and a National Merit Scholar. How bout you Mr. mental compacity (I think capacity is what you were going for genius)?

Really though folks, what is the harm of someones name and date written on the basket. Does it interfere with it's ability to catch discs? Does it make it harder to see? Can the writing even be seen from over 10ft away? If you people need to get your panties in a wad about something, worry about trash and cigarette butts on the course and real vandalism, not someone recording their ace in a manner that has no ill effects on anyone or anything.

Its vandalism. And it looks like crap. Get your disc signed and leave the park alone.

I'm about 6 months from having a PhD in genetics, have a genetics BS with a 3.8 from Texas A&M (no grade inflation for Aggies), was valedictorian of a class of 200 and a National Merit Scholar. How bout you Mr. mental compacity (I think capacity is what you were going for genius)?

Look at the big brain on this guy. Do you want a box of hero cookies? Sorry for the typo, and for being an Aggie.

Last edited:

oh **** ... I almost peed laughing

and for what its worth ... the car thing was apples to spinach, not even close to a fair comparison.

You can pay for school, but you can't buy class.