• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA announces World Championships to split. Open / Age Protected

ADD STUFF IN THE CIRCLE! Putt through 2 trees... Putt around a tree with a big anny putt... make that putt and you feel like you've accomplished something.

When I make a 40' putt I just think - finally, i threw one straight. When I make an anny putt I think - That was AWESOME - Did anyone SEE that!?

This is by far the best suggestion I have heard yet for making putting more intriguing to watch. Better design in general is the way to go in my opinion.

For a World's format that offers the possibility of hosting with fewer courses will we also potentially see a host who uses only temp courses? This could be interesting as you might see a parks department give premium land for temporary use for the event because it is the world championships and you end up with a couple courses that have not been limited by the use of limited land.

A couple suggestions for making putting more difficult/exciting:

-A basket that is cut in half vertically so you can only putt on one side. This would require you to at least set your shot up better.
-Baskets with like four vertical pipes extending from the cage to the top of the basket. This would give putting a feeling more like a basketball shot: if you do it perfectly it will go in, but if you catch the rim you can still get lucky.
-A different class of disc that is required for holing out after the first shot. Bigger, smaller, heavier?
-Opposite of an island green: If a disc is within x meters of the basket it is OB.

-A basket that is cut in half vertically so you can only putt on one side. This would require you to at least set your shot up better.
-Baskets with like four vertical pipes extending from the cage to the top of the basket. This would give putting a feeling more like a basketball shot: if you do it perfectly it will go in, but if you catch the rim you can still get lucky.
-A different class of disc that is required for holing out after the first shot. Bigger, smaller, heavier?
-Opposite of an island green: If a disc is within x meters of the basket it is OB.

1. I like it, but a couple trees right next to the basket do the same thing. I mean RIGHT next to it.
- It was mentioned that the baskets wouldn't need to be modified, which I agree with. Baskets are designed to catch our disc golf discs by their size, shape, etc. I'm not in favor of modified equipment for pros. When you watch pro sports - hockey, basketball, the kids in the park and on the pond play with the same hockey goal, same height hoop.
2. like this
cd27e007.jpg

"Hole #1 Basket: Spins with a motor and has the Tiki Man to block your shot"
3. outside the box, which i like, but maybe a bigger rules change than you want...
- Do aces with "normal" discs count, or can I putt with a "regular" putter outside a certain circle, or are putters banned? then I'd putt a mako3
4. Fun. I'm good with this on a limited but useful basis. Maybe even like this better than just elevating a basket on wide open level ground to add 0.25 stroke average.
16.jpg

WaterTroughPin.jpg

oops, sorry for ruining the page width for your viewing displeasure.

I've always liked the idea of obstacles on the green myself. It could be a couple of trees, bushes, or whatever. I don't mind sloped greens either. That's what makes putting in ball golf difficult, you just don't putt straight at the hole every time. That also helps force a particular line on the previous shot. The easier line to the bucket might leave a more difficult putt whereas the tougher line might yield a much easier look.

To go hand in hand with that I wouldn't mind seeing the circle expanded to maybe 15 or 20 meters.

Make mcbeth putt left handed off his right leg, or blindfolded. The rest aren't as consistent as him so they can putt normally...

This would result in just laying up, because almost any missed putt is going to carry a 2-stroke penalty. No one's going for anything but a sure thing, because even 5' past the basket is an impossible shot.

And the layups from the bad side would be particularly boring.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of obstacles on one side, but not the other, you reward placement of the approach shot (or drive), and at the same time, allow for a brilliant save through the trees, or whatever, from the bad side.

Alas, twisting putts through trees is both exciting, and tough to video.

I'm of the camp that if you want to make putting more exciting to watch, you can (1) change the rules, (2) change the target, or (3) change the course design---and my vote would be for #3.

Other than "to be more like golf" can anyone give a reason putting needs to be made relatively more difficult? Disc golf is growing in leaps and bounds- why fix what ain't broke? (other than because that is what we do on the interwebz)

Other than "to be more like golf" can anyone give a reason putting needs to be made relatively more difficult? Disc golf is growing in leaps and bounds- why fix what ain't broke? (other than because that is what we do on the interwebz)

The theory is to make it more exciting---to get away from the boring, high-percentage-made putts. More exciting for players, more for theoretical spectators.

The trick is doing so without resulting in boring lay-ups from further out.

Though I'd agree with the notion that it's not a compelling issue. It ain't broke. It might be improved, though.

There are going to be "tap ins" from one distance or another regardless of any tweaks, just as there are in golf. Attempting to make the "tap in" distance shorter will undoubtedly reduce the number of longer shots which go in which are in actuality the truly exciting shots. (see sportscenter)

If a change results in fewer long putts made and more 2-putts, it won't be better for scoring spread and will likely be less interesting to watch than it already is. I believe the key is to figure out a change that doesn't make come-backers automatic. It raises the drama and increases scoring spread. One of the traits in ball golf putting that makes it more interesting is a missed long putt going past the hole even 2-3 feet is not an automatic come-backer. If we can figure out how to emulate that uncertainty, it might be a worthwhile change.

I don't think anything is "broke" necessarily. I'm an advocate of making putting more challenging (be it in design of the target or in course design in general) in pursuit of creating courses that challenge players more. As it is, the trend in our game has been to make the courses longer and the baskets better at catching everything (more chains, tighter configurations, etc). I think it's taking some of the finesse and control from the game as long courses with better catching baskets really only rewards throwing hard...throw a drive hard and far, throw a putter hard and fast at the target. To me, in a lot of respects, the game is getting more boring to watch at the high levels, not more fun.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of obstacles on one side, but not the other, you reward placement of the approach shot (or drive), and at the same time, allow for a brilliant save through the trees, or whatever, from the bad side.

If a change results in fewer long putts made and more 2-putts, it won't be better for scoring spread and will likely be less interesting to watch than it already is. I believe the key is to figure out a change that doesn't make come-backers automatic. It raises the drama and increases scoring spread. One of the traits in ball golf putting that makes it more interesting is a missed long putt going past the hole even 2-3 feet is not an automatic come-backer. If we can figure out how to emulate that uncertainty, it might be a worthwhile change.

The "Ball Golf" has done the same thing over the years, shaving the greens shorter and shorter, now they're basically putting on glass and that miss is that much longer. And if there's a break near the hole... could be a really long come backer - risk/reward

I don't know that all shots from the 'bad side' would result in a layup, depending on the distance from the basket and the obstacle. From an ultimate player's perspective, I have a release point that is maybe 5-6' on either side of my pivot foot maybe 10-12' wide total, from fully extended forehand to a fully extended backhand. couple that with a bending putt, you can bend around a tree that's pretty close to the basket and have a chance. I would love to see some putting pros be challenged by something more than ever increasing distance.

I still remember watching Ricky nail a long putt with water behind, I think at Maple Hill? That hole that shoots over the water downhill to a basket right on the shore. That's a huge risk/reward pin position talking about baskets with OB next to it.

One of the toughest holes in my area is a flat open short par three...set at the edge of very steep 20ft bank that ends in an OB road. Overthrow and you are OB. An aggressive missed putts is OB. A missed putt might stay inbound but down the hill....and that combacker is tough.
Unfortunately, most holes don't have the perfect terrain for that type of placement.

If you land within 10m of the basket, you can't advance until you make your putt. Keep putting from the same spot with no penalties.

Missed putts from within 10m require pushups.

A "no landing" zone within tap-in range. Any close lies have to be pulled backward to 20'.

Adding slides/funnels to the outside of the basket. If you chain out, your disc slides/is rolled to at least 15' away.

I still remember watching Ricky nail a long putt with water behind, I think at Maple Hill? That hole that shoots over the water downhill to a basket right on the shore. That's a huge risk/reward pin position talking about baskets with OB next to it.

And Disc Golf Pro Tour just released a promo spot featuring this exact shot. Awesome!

I like the idea of a 5 meter bunker rule.

A "no landing" zone within tap-in range. Any close lies have to be pulled backward to 20'.

I thought my idea was going to be creative, knew I should have posted last night.

I was going to say any throw, not off the tee, that lands in the circle, is played like a hazard. 1 short penalty, play from where it lies.

I agree with this in theory. I still think the practical way to carry it out is not a mandated bunker rule or pulling putts out to 20' no matter how close you are. That is simply punishment for a good previous shot. The solution is simply better course design that puts more challenge on the green. Obstacles inside the circle or putting baskets on slopes are where it is at to make things more exciting. If you are going to change the rules at all, the only rule that might be worth changing is expanding the 10 meter circle but even in doing that you are taking away the possible excitement of a made putt. Making the circle smaller wouldn't accomplish anything as pros are generally poficient at putts inside the circle when there are no obstacles.

Any solution just relying on better landscaping around the green will be insufficient. Better landscaping/terrain is already a no-brainer where it can be done and is being done. Note that it still doesn't seem to make putting more interesting to watch and sufficiently increase scoring spreads.

The ideal solution(s) should include elements that can be implemented on a temporary basis even on flat, open terrain consistently on every hole and not necessarily make things tougher for Ams playing the same course at the same time. If it also works as a permanent setup on a course, even better. And of course, the holy grail would be that it makes putting more interesting and dramatic to watch.

It's a tall order to meet all of those criteria. Just one tweak may not be enough and could require a combination of ideas. BTW, some version of a few ideas posted in the last dozen posts have already been percolating with the GDT. Keep tossing them out there even if it only addresses part of a more complete solution.