• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Coordinators What do you do?

NPCTour

Birdie Member
Can anyone tell me what their PDGA Coordinator does in your state to promote the PDGA.
Do you have affiliate clubs?
EDGA Program?
Sanctioned Leagues?
etc . . .

Can anyone tell me what their PDGA Coordinator does in your state to promote the PDGA.
Do you have affiliate clubs? Yes
EDGE Program? Yes, but Jay and Des live here
Sanctioned Leagues? Yes, not sure how much the coordinator has to do with them
etc . . .

I know in Texas the main task is setting the schedule so that conflicts between events are kept to a minimum.

Kentucky has a great state coordinator that's on top of his game.

However affiliate clubs or sanctioned leagues have anything to do directly with the state coordinator or his duties.

I suppose promotion takes a back seat in states where the Coord. spends a lot of effort with state and regional schedules, conflicting events, etc. For those on the other end of the spectrum drumming up business is more important.

Back when we were getting the (disc golf) ball rolling in my neck of the woods, the goals for those doing the coordinating was to have quality events reasonably placed throughout the year. As that process grew and matured, the coordination became more balancing act and less promotion. Now I suppose one could consider the role somewhat as a referee with so many scheduled and unscheduled events on the schedule.

Any tasty NPC video from last year available, btw?

Joe

Not sure on the "promote the PDGA" part. I'm in a PDGA-saturated area, already.

As others have said, coordinating the event schedule is his main duty. Our calendar's pretty full so that's a job, in itself.

He's also active behind the scenes in lots of places, which I keep stumbling across. Coordinating with the state organization, with non-sanction events, with getting courses in and re-designed.....surprisingly often, when I pose that "someone ought to.....", I find out he's already working on it.

I haven't been in North Carolina all that long, since July of last year actually. I do know Charlotte does alot of what you said, EDGE,Affiliated Clubs Sanctioned leagues etc, with Raliegh in second. I live in the black hole of North Carolina Disc Golf, Greensboro.
Anyway Robert (MTL on the boards) does a great job considering how much he has to deal with.

The main thing a State Coordinator does is keep the schedule together the best he/she can. You have to realize that each state is made up of many individual clubs, if any, and it'd be near impossable to get everyone on the same page let alone doing all the PDGA stuff. Since alot of clubs want to have nothing to do with the PDGA.

I'm the North Carolina coordinator. What would you like to know?

Here is a list of things I am required to do / things that come with the job:
- Approve dates and sanctioning of all PDGA events in the state
- Keep in contact with neighboring state coordinators to ensure the mileage restrictions of events aren't in violation
- Serve as the main contact for the state (The PDGA gets emails and calls all the time from people with questions and if they live in NC, they are forwarded to me)
- Select a state rep. for the USDGC
- Serve as a middle man between the PDGA and TD's in certain situations.

Additional Things I do that I am not required to do
- Assist TD's at tournaments
- Run the NC State Series
- Notify TD's of rules changes / special situations
- Write letters on behalf of clubs / people for courses to cities.

It doesn't sound like a lot, and sometimes it isn't. But it def has required way more organization and communication than I anticipated.

My term ends this year and I have made my decision on whether I will run for election again or not.

And my decision is........something you will have to wait for and see.

i was virginia coordinator for many years and scheduling is indeed numero uno on the things to do list. you also wind up serving as the info conduit for many folks and occasionally are called upon by the org for info/advice on other matters.

Thanks Bisco and MLT for your imput. I am so thankful for all the work the state coordinators do and I am sure it will only get busier as the sport grows. My hats off to all the state coordinators.

First off, Adam, thank you for the kind words. It's nice to hear that I am doing my job well.

I'm in my first year as State Coordinator. I haven't done anything groundbreaking or mind-blowing.
I've focused on creating transparency in the scheduling process. I started a Facebook group (see signature) and maintain the Kentucky (and regional) schedule there for anyone to see. If someone is planning an event, they can come to the schedule and see if their desired dates have any conflicts.

I'm learning as I go, that's all a person can do. There is no on-the-job training. In fact, it feels like I was barely notified. I will say that the staff at PDGA are very easy to work with and answer my questions very promptly.

In the future, I hope to offer more in Kentucky. I am slowly working on putting together a state championship series. I don't foresee it happening in 2013, but maybe 2014 will work out.

Thanks for inquiring!

i was virginia coordinator for many years and scheduling is indeed numero uno on the things to do list. you also wind up serving as the info conduit for many folks and occasionally are called upon by the org for info/advice on other matters.

the hardest part about being the Va cordinator is dealing with me. The second hardest thing is that we are surrounded by MD and NC and quite often we have conflicting events. That is not always easy to resolve. The cordinators here and in surrounding states do a great job.

This! I would love to see what the course/s look like.

The video crew "Disc Golf Arkansas" is putting together a promo for this years event and I will post it as soon as possible.

The courses are both Championship courses where your getting a combination of Open and Wooded holes. Both courses have a 600 footer on them along with a few 400-500ft holes. There are also the technical shorter holes. A little Elevation on a few holes, nothing serious.

Pleasant View DGC is surrounded by water, the course sits on a island where you have to take a bridge to get to hole one from the parking lot. "Very Cool feature"

OLD Post plays along the Arkansas River for a few hole with a great view and has an Island Hole.

These two courses are the best courses you never heard of. Everyone who came, thought they were amazing.

Roberts Main task this year is to appoint me the NC state representative for the USDGC.