• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2019 Delaware Disc Golf Challenge 23-Aug to 25-Aug-2019

When I was watching Ricky's rounds on vid, it seemed like he was taking very aggressive lines. Early on it was paying off, sometimes with the help of a few trees that jumped out of the way at the last minute. But trees giveth, and trees taketh away.

I wonder at what point Ricky started checking scores. If he knew he had a decent lead, it would be interesting to know whether he considered playing more conservatively or decided to keep doing what had been working. And, with benefit of hindsight, whether he will make a different decision going forward.

I have played Iron Hill a few times, mostly middle or long tees to long baskets. At my (limited) distance, the fairways are fair but unforgiving. But even though I love woods golf, the relentless need to hit lines and scramble effectively at Iron Hill can wear you down.

Which, IMO, makes it an excellent test for the top pros. DDGC is one of the events I most look forward to watching every year.
Four career starts at the DDGC - 1 win followed by 3 consecutive 2nd place finishes. Lost by 4, lost by 1, lost in a playoff. I think he's probably comfortable he'll run into some wins over the years doing what he's doing.

Didn't Eagle McMahon skip a tournament this year because he didn't like the course?

Paige Pierce seems to prefer more open courses where she can throw for distance and overpower the competition that way. Perhaps she thought Iron Hill didn't suit her game, and so she skipped it.

Didn't Eagle McMahon skip a tournament this year because he didn't like the course?

Paige Pierce seems to prefer more open courses where she can throw for distance and overpower the competition that way. Perhaps she thought Iron Hill didn't suit her game, and so she skipped it.

I believe Eagle skipped Ledgestone for a few years because of his dislike of Eureka. I think he got over it.

I really don't think Paige skipped playing because she doesn't like the course. As far as I can tell, she'd never played it before. Can't imagine that she'd decide, sight unseen, not to play the event because of the course. And if she did, it was probably more related to not having enough time (or perhaps energy after Worlds) to practice it prior to the event than it not "suiting her game".

anyone know how eagle pays for those braces

or does innova offer the championship level benefits package

he needs to add win moar tournies to his business plan

that some old ken klimo type thinking = play it safe and win tournie to make money

modern business plan = smiles and risky throws are rewarded by viewers and supporters and subscribers

eagle actually on that next level entrepreneurship

I was standing about 30ft from Ricky when he threw that stupidly crazy good hyzer second shot on H8 in R2. Me and two locals who played the tournament went to his lie, visually checked the "gap" through the trees, and just laughed. The aggressive mindset + power needed for that shot is nuts. Even Simon and Eagle laughed on the Jones coverage.

When I was watching Ricky's rounds on vid, it seemed like he was taking very aggressive lines. Early on it was paying off, sometimes with the help of a few trees that jumped out of the way at the last minute. But trees giveth, and trees taketh away.

I wonder at what point Ricky started checking scores. If he knew he had a decent lead, it would be interesting to know whether he considered playing more conservatively or decided to keep doing what had been working. And, with benefit of hindsight, whether he will make a different decision going forward.

I have played Iron Hill a few times, mostly middle or long tees to long baskets. At my (limited) distance, the fairways are fair but unforgiving. But even though I love woods golf, the relentless need to hit lines and scramble effectively at Iron Hill can wear you down.

Which, IMO, makes it an excellent test for the top pros. DDGC is one of the events I most look forward to watching every year.

anyone know how eagle pays for those braces

or does innova offer the championship level benefits package

I don't have any idea, but it would make sense that he would still be on his parents' insurance. You can keep kids on until they turn 26 in most states.

PP doesn't only make money playing disc golf. It also appears that her photography might be a potential career after she's done playing, so why not take a little time to develop those skills when not focused on playing golf?

And by not playing she basicly gave the National Tour win to Cat . . that´s even more $ and she says she hates to loose. . here she lost the NT by choice.

I still think it´s an odd choice not to play

And by not playing she basicly gave the National Tour win to Cat . . that´s even more $ and she says she hates to loose. . here she lost the NT by choice.

I still think it´s an odd choice not to play

If Paige played DDGC, and won it, Cat would still be leading the standings heading into HOFC (assuming she finished 2nd). And then to win the points title, Paige would have to win HOFC too. That's not a guaranteed outcome by any means. First, we can't assume that if she had played, Paige would have won this weekend. Second, Cat's won HOFC two years in a row. Paige winning there is no lock either.

So I'm not sure she "gave" the NT title to Cat. Cat put herself in control of that by winning GBO and Masters Cup and now DDGC. And clearly Paige doesn't hold that title as a priority, or she would have played this weekend just to stay in contention for it.

Would it have been an "odd choice" had Paige elected to go to Maple Hill to start practicing instead (like McBeth did)? Or if she chose to play a different tournament instead, like at least a dozen other touring players did?

If Paige played DDGC, and won it, Cat would still be leading the standings heading into HOFC (assuming she finished 2nd). And then to win the points title, Paige would have to win HOFC too. That's not a guaranteed outcome by any means. First, we can't assume that if she had played, Paige would have won this weekend. Second, Cat's won HOFC two years in a row. Paige winning there is no lock either.

So I'm not sure she "gave" the NT title to Cat. Cat put herself in control of that by winning GBO and Masters Cup and now DDGC. And clearly Paige doesn't hold that title as a priority, or she would have played this weekend just to stay in contention for it.

Would it have been an "odd choice" had Paige elected to go to Maple Hill to start practicing instead (like McBeth did)? Or if she chose to play a different tournament instead, like at least a dozen other touring players did?

IF paige hade won with Cat in 2nd i think Paige would have 386p and Cat 390 going in to the last NT,
So she would need to win both, could she? well she has won 8 i a row, so sure she could.. . .now, not so much.

But Paul is way down the list and he made the same choice and he did not play the BSF either so maybe the NT is not that important to them?
I don´t think PP and Paul will play the National Tour Finale either

From what i can se only 4 FPO players have played all the NT events this year. . .4!

I would expect the winner of World's to feel different about playing the following weekend than the player who comes up just short. One is celebrating a year's worth of hard work and riding an emotional high; the other wants to move on right away and get back at it.

Ricky played Ledgestone right after winning his first World's and he had a bad (for him) tournament. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying something in an interview about how it was probably too ambitious of him to think he could re-focus that soon after winning.

I totaly get why she didn´t play that close to Worlds. . BUT once she´s on site i bet she could place top 2 playing the course blind and take home $1000

Usually when you decide not to play you go home. . .or anywhere else. . .but as she travels with Alyssa she´s "stuck" and why not just play?

She said during that Smashboxx interview, she will not play a tournament that she doesn't feel like she's absolutely going to win. But then she totally contradicted herself shortly thereafter by saying she would play USDGC if she qualifies. Haha.

She said during that Smashboxx interview, she will not play a tournament that she doesn't feel like she's absolutely going to win. But then she totally contradicted herself shortly thereafter by saying she would play USDGC if she qualifies. Haha.

Well she kinda caught herself on the contradiction as she stumbled over the might play the USDGC. It sounded to me like a long explanation she didn't want to go into. Its a bit of a different case.

But yeah that part of the interview was apparent her heart and mental state was a bit done and the thought of picking herself up to put in the effort to play in Delaware wasn't there. Basically she isn't going to play a tournament and just go through the motions. Seems totally logical to me.

I wonder if some of the trouble Ricky had in the final 9 at DDGC had to do with needing a bit more mental rest after worlds.