• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA NT: 2019 Las Vegas Challenge

Selected Performance Tracks for FPO for the first three rounds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LVCFPOPT.png
    LVCFPOPT.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 265
Even with the great players playing amazingly well the courses detract strongly from the viewing enjoyment. It seems like the locals are doing an amazing job of helping out but the golf course being used for disc golf is almost never a good thing. I'd prefer to see Sunset bums and all.

Even with the great players playing amazingly well the courses detract strongly from the viewing enjoyment. It seems like the locals are doing an amazing job of helping out but the golf course being used for disc golf is almost never a good thing. I'd prefer to see Sunset bums and all.

think if a tourney was held at theo wirth

yawn

Just watched the Jomez and CCDG second round MPO coverage. I would like for Sexton and Big Jerm to tell us which discs are being used. I was wondering if Shotwell was rocking a Bullfrog as his putter. If BigSexy told us, I missed it.

That's one thing Ian of CCDG is totally awesome at, telling us what discs the players are using. He must do some undercover work and peek in people's bags (and that is a lot less risqué than it sounds :p ). So big kudos to Ian for that. :clap:

nah...dull as they are the Wildhorse courses are still way better than Sunset.

Sounds like Eddie the Eagle of Great Britain in the Olympics ski jump. I thought they passed some rules to stop people like him from competing in the Olympics, mostly to protect him and others from getting hurt doing more than they should.

I dunno... is Weema (physically) hurting anything? Including himself?

My only concern with it, and I suppose it's up to those people to deal with it, is the amount of time that it might add on to a round for other people.

Loving the CCDG and Jomez coverage, it's amazing what a committed group of people can achieve.

Right now watching round one coverage and wondering why they don't hit it into the hazard on hole 10. It'll most likely ensure a safe par. They rather opt for death-putts. Eight players, no birdies. So, why all the hazzle and not take the short putt from the back end of the hazard?

Sexton was the only one who played it this way, accidently it seemed. Commentary treated it as a mistake ... but he had an easy putt for par and probably came out of the hole more relayed than those player who had longer or death putts.

My only concern with it, and I suppose it's up to those people to deal with it, is the amount of time that it might add on to a round for other people.

Loving the CCDG and Jomez coverage, it's amazing what a committed group of people can achieve.

I think the time thing is a non-factor. In my experience, while lower-rated players like him might be throwing more shots, they're also not taking as much time between their throws as most pros do. So whatever extra time those throws take is negligible in the overall pace of the tournament.

As for the players within his group, considering everyone's grouped by score, they're usually not all that far off his scoring pace to begin with. Just looking at his round 2 group (since it's easy enough to determine by sorting round 1), he played with two players who shot 80 and 83 to his 95. Sure it's a lot of strokes but the average is still less than a throw per hole and it's not that unusual to have that kind of spread on a card. Sexton beat one of his second round cardmates by 11. Nikko beat two of his cardmates by 12. One extra throw relative to the group adds maybe 20-30 seconds to the total play time of a hole. Hardly that noticeable when you're playing.

Right now watching round one coverage and wondering why they don't hit it into the hazard on hole 10. It'll most likely ensure a safe par. They rather opt for death-putts. Eight players, no birdies. So, why all the hazzle and not take the short putt from the back end of the hazard?

Sexton was the only one who played it this way, accidently it seemed. Commentary treated it as a mistake ... but he had an easy putt for par and probably came out of the hole more relayed than those player who had longer or death putts.

I think the simple answer is Sexton is the only player (at least among those featured) who thinks things out to that extent. Most players, of all skill levels, play to avoid taking penalties, even if it might be advantageous or harmless to do so. For some, it's as simple as they don't want to remove any chance of a two, by I think mainly it's that a clean 3 is better in their mind than a penalty 3. So they play safe around the hazard rather than crash the hazard and take the three.

I have to say I agree with Jerm's analysis of the hole from the Jomez coverage. For a green that treacherous, the tee shot is a bit long. 380 means no one going for the green is throwing something controllable that has a good chance of sticking on the hill for a relatively easy birdie putt. If it were in the 280-300 range (or shorter), then you might see more slower discs from the tee that could be landed on the slope or even on top with less risk of skip or roll away. Instead, it's a par 3 that few will birdie. 9 out of 186 players put it in the circle from the tee and only six converted the birdie (3 more converted birdie from circle 2). That makes for a blah hole in general despite what is a challenging green set-up.

Interesting final round F9 on the FPO side. . lots of nerves at the top. . .
Van Dyken having a super F9
And it looks like this is going to be Paige P worst result in over 5years

I think the simple answer is Sexton is the only player (at least among those featured) who thinks things out to that extent. Most players, of all skill levels, play to avoid taking penalties, even if it might be advantageous or harmless to do so. For some, it's as simple as they don't want to remove any chance of a two, by I think mainly it's that a clean 3 is better in their mind than a penalty 3. So they play safe around the hazard rather than crash the hazard and take the three.

I have to say I agree with Jerm's analysis of the hole from the Jomez coverage. For a green that treacherous, the tee shot is a bit long. 380 means no one going for the green is throwing something controllable that has a good chance of sticking on the hill for a relatively easy birdie putt. If it were in the 280-300 range (or shorter), then you might see more slower discs from the tee that could be landed on the slope or even on top with less risk of skip or roll away. Instead, it's a par 3 that few will birdie. 9 out of 186 players put it in the circle from the tee and only six converted the birdie (3 more converted birdie from circle 2). That makes for a blah hole in general despite what is a challenging green set-up.

While I agree with what JC has written, I also have heard commentary on a go for it mentality. The mind weighs risk and reward in ideal play. Some ignore the risk completely in certain situations and focus only on the reward. "If I make this, then..."

I think assessing risk-reward, relative to your skill is something accomplished athletes do. Remember, Nate is one of the older players out there. He is often criticized for, "playing safe."