• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA World Championships 2022

Were you guys watching the same thing I was? Gossage made a host of bad mistakes to open McBeth's door.
I don't see an MPO who wants to win a Worlds title missing a 20' putt (Hole 1), 25' (hole 3), 38' (hole 7), 30' (hole 8) OR fail to get up & down from 200' without a major obstacle (holes 7 & 8-- approaches should have been much closer) and that's just the front nine. I know he also missed inside the circle on 16, and failed to get into C1 on #17 wide open from 300'

Converting any ONE of those things wins a title. Again, yet nothing but praise. I thought the topic was making shots you're supposed to make under pressure to win Worlds," but maybe I was wrong.

Fyi, I'm on the long drive and day to play Selah Ranch one last time, so I'll be out the rest of the day.

So is your issue that people are pointing out that one player is missing 10-15 foot putts but not pointing out that another player is missing putts that are at least twice as long?

The difference is likely due to this: people expect some misses from tester range; they don't expect misses from 10-15 feet other than a one-of or a fluke.

Furthermore you say there's nothing but praise for AG but looking back at the thread it was pointed out that he made mistakes to open the door for Paul, that his approach on a hole was "fair at best," that he "fought to give away the championship," and that he needs to figure out his putting.

Your assertion that there was "nothing but praise" is factually incorrect. So is your issue that there wasn't enough criticism? Or that the criticism wasn't harsh enough? Or that there was too much praise?

Were you guys watching the same thing I was? Gossage made a host of bad mistakes to open McBeth's door.
I don't see an MPO who wants to win a Worlds title missing a 20' putt (Hole 1), 25' (hole 3), 38' (hole 7), 30' (hole 8) OR fail to get up & down from 200' without a major obstacle (holes 7 & 8-- approaches should have been much closer) and that's just the front nine. I know he also missed inside the circle on 16, and failed to get into C1 on #17 wide open from 300'

Converting any ONE of those things wins a title. Again, yet nothing but praise. I thought the topic was making shots you're supposed to make under pressure to win Worlds," but maybe I was wrong.

Fyi, I'm on the long drive and day to play Selah Ranch one last time, so I'll be out the rest of the day.
Enjoy Selah! I'm jelly!

Last edited:
Big lay up area to the right, many FPO players used it. .
But i guess Paul NEVER practiced that shot. .

Plus the wall at the back of the island makes laying up "deep" on the island a pretty safe play for an elite player ...assuming you know you only need a par, and aren't concerned with getting good look at a birdie.

attachment.php

This chart shows how well the courses fit the players who played them. "Fit" is a combination of not too hard, not too soft, and not too many of the same scores.

The MPO courses was best for players rated around 1010-1020 and the fit there was very good. So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

The FPO courses fit the FPO players much better than the MPO courses would have. However, the fit for FPO courses had no peak, but got more and more fit for the highest rated players. This indicates both courses were still too hard for all FPO players.

Fortunately, since the MPO courses fit the MPO players so well, we can make a significant improvement to the FPO courses by simply matching the average scores seen on the MPO courses.

To make it so a 930-rated FPO player on the FPO courses would match the average score of a 1000-rated MPO player on the MPO courses, each FPO hole would need to be adjusted to the Better length in the following table. (Or something close to it; the nature of the hole needs to be taken into account.)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Worlds22Fitness.png
    Worlds22Fitness.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 202
  • FPOBetter.png
    FPOBetter.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 201
As usual, Steve's data is very interesting, but will take me some time to digest. Thanks for your analysis, sir!

I wonder to what degree any of the DGPT TD's or designers take any of this type of analysis into consideration. I'm certainly not in on any of their conversations or decision making, but sometimes it feels as if they tweak things just because they or just to make it harder, without necessarily understanding if those changes will actually make for a better tournament.

Sometimes it seems lengthening or shortening certain holes just increases the likelihood of pars.

I think Henna's play was remarkable. She was on the heels of and from tee to green out playing one of the best overall FPO performances ever (based on round ratings).

If she continues to play like this and solves some putting issues, she's going to be tough to beat by anyone.

Id like to see some chart referencing lefthandedness and/or forehand power with unlikely success at Worlds.

Gossage and Clemons really came out of left field. Any others?

No need to defend them, sure both have game, but nobody would have picked them for the top 2&3.

great observation. Sexton grabs a top 10 by playing his game on a course that normally wouldn't be considered a Sexton friendly course.

Paul leaned on his FH at the end more than I recall him doing over the past couple of years.

Paul leaned on his FH at the end more than I recall him doing over the past couple of years.

Paula normally throws a lot of long, accurate backhand turnover drives. But the clips I saw made it look kinda windy. Might that have taken those backhand turnover shots off the table in many instances?

Id like to see some chart referencing lefthandedness and/or forehand power with unlikely success at Worlds.

Gossage and Clemons really came out of left field. Any others?

No need to defend them, sure both have game, but nobody would have picked them for the top 2&3.

Kristin leaned on her FH more than she typically does, as well.

BH turnover shots in an open field (with a fairway or distance driver) will fade left. Lots of holes had OB on both sides of the fairway, so a steep RHFH hyzer would have a better chance of staying away from OB, especially if there was a little unseen wind. It will stay on its original line the entire way. Turnover shots work better with putters and mids, not as much in open fields lined with OB.

Also, it is hard to get that release angle just right when turning a fairway/driver. Vinny's last 2 rounds at ECC on hole 3 demonstrate that perfectly--he tried turning a fairway (I think, could have been a driver) to flex it near the pin, and overturned it just a little both times, it burned out into a mild cut roller like 75' short both times. Anyone with a forehand was just sticking a hyzer out there, and even if short, was usually getting closer than 75'. That is what is impressive about Paul's play--early in the tourney he wasn't trusting either his forehands or his putting, but ended up leaning on them both quite a bit in the final round. He dug deep and found 6x.

I'm thinking Henna missed about 20ish putts inside 20 feet for the week, give or take. Gossage missed just that aforementioned one is the only one I recall.

As far as failure to get up and down from shorter range, that is often the biggest game changer from winning and losing in MPO since these guys are pretty much automatic inside 25 feet. Take a look at Heimburgs play. He fluffed a bunch of approaches inside 250 that cost him all sorts of strokes, while PMB and the Goose executed. I think his reliance on that one hyzer angle with that Rhyno and his serviceable but definitely not high level forehand were the difference there. Sure the Goose fluffed that one approach, but it was the only one I can remember from that range.

Jomez Coverage Final Round Lead Card

Is Jomez going to have final round post-production?

What an amazing breakout tournament for Aaron Gossage. It reminds me of Emerson Keith at the 2019 Worlds... but A-Gos took it all the way through five rounds!

Commentators kept mentioning that her arm hurts more on the backhand than on the forehand right now, IIRC. If that is true, she was going with the wing of least discomfort.

I figured something didnt feel right when she threw RHBH hard.

No doubt the women on the lead card the last two rounds are some of the longest bombers out there, but Kristin doesn't lack for distance herself. Yet she was getting pretty regularly out thrown off the tee by the others.

Much respect to Tattar for figuring out a game plan that avoided throwing RHBH for power, and relying on well placed FH's to set up 2nd/3rd shots for birdie looks. Her game is so complete and well-balanced, that even without one of her weapons, she still won going away.

If that's not impressive, then I don't know what is.

Last edited:
I think i heard someone say that Kristin would have a surgery after the season (was it Terry Miller?)

I hope Henna and Eveliina gets a strong contract so they can afford to play more in the US next year. . .and that they spend all winter putting. .
Henna is a phenomenon of the tee. . .and a rec player in the circle