• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pettition To Allow Flattening of Discs

To flatten or not to flatten

• Total voters
It makes the people who have the money-spot-versions of a mold feel cheated that someone else can buy the ****-run and tune it to be the same as the money-spot-version. people absolutely love exclusivity and rarity in the plastic they throw. heaven forbid that someone uses some ingenuity to avoid an otherwise overpriced version of a disc.

example: C-MD2, some are domey and very meh, some rare ones came out flat (from the factory) and are much more desirable in feel and flight.
I don't understand how that creates an unfair advantage for the player. If anything I would argue the exact opposite. The exclusivity and variance is what isn't fair.

I don't understand how that creates an unfair advantage for the player. If anything I would argue the exact opposite. The exclusivity and variance is what isn't fair.

Bingo.

The goal of this rule is level playing field, so if people are saying tuning allows players to have "sweet spot" discs without paying $100, then I'd think tuning would make the game more fair, not less fair.

flattening a domey CMD2 does not make it as nice as the ones that come flat.

I'm pretty sure this is just where they had the mold tooling and had to cross out patent numbers after a lawsuit. Has nothing to do with grip.

I think it can make a difference for forehand throws. Lightning Discs has had discs for years with very small rings going around the inside of the rim. When I first started playing, I had no idea what they were. Eventually I heard they were fore better forehand grip.

I think it can make a difference for forehand throws. Lightning Discs has had discs for years with very small rings going around the inside of the rim. When I first started playing, I had no idea what they were. Eventually I heard they were fore better forehand grip.

Several of the Lightning driver models have the raised rings on the inside rim. The ridges/grooves provide a little more texture and friction at the contact points. AFAIK, they were not specifically designed for forehand (or backhand) grips, but to increase grip/feeling in general. I throw backhand and I recall the ridges were uncomfortable and almost painful.

Permission granted.......I won't tell if you won't! But if you flap your gums to a card mate, then win your card, you might find yourself with a dq. There's plenty of people that will throw the rule book at you when given an opportunity. Remember, it's only cheating if you get caught........or is it?

I realize disc flattening is against the rules but why? If a disc is meant to be flat and comes out domey, IMO the disc is flawed. We, the consumer, should have the right to fix this problem by flattening the disc to create a comfortable grip. From experience flattening can change the stability of a mold but it is usually very little and can be chalked up to the disc breaking in.

If I can sand the flashing off a disc (manufacturers defect) why can I not flatten it? Perhaps this rule was put into place when DX plastic was promenent and the PDGA feared people tuning their discs?

Doesn't lat64 flatten their discs after removing them from the mold? Is this not what was done to the Flat top Gators just released?

I hate relating this to ball golf, but to me this is much like buying a driver and having it regripped and rebalanced.

For those of you against disc flattening, am I missing something? What are the disadvantages of allowing players to flatten their discs?

I am mixed about this, just as I am with traditional golf. I will just choose against it for discussion sake only. No intentions on changing anyone's minds on this issue.

I see a distinct difference between getting good with equipment that is made to a specific standard vs. fixing a perceived problem from a consumer. As a consumer myself, I don't throw discs bad because of a theoretical problem out of the manufacturer. I have played the game enough to know. I throw it bad because bad because of a bad throw, me. Not the equipment. I haven't done any alterations to my discs and my discs are straight from where I purchase them and my discs have various ranges of flatness. If I want to get good, why should I change the equipment? Why not just practice?

I think one has to stretch the argument about golf equipment adjustment with disc adjustment. Simply because how to play the two sports in relation to the player and equipment and how that adjustment affects the results are world's apart, all one can do is just be biased to their opinion because of the differences of the sport. I mean no disrespect with that by any means. Even if I would try to compare it to traditional golf, I would end up doing the same. Just the nature of the topics.

I don't know if I see anything that the PDGA would be afraid of. I think it is them making a statement that if you want to compete on a larger level, you better be able to throw discs that have not been altered outside of natural alterations. Natural meaning, normal wear and tear. Sanding a disc down doesn't happen because of persistent play. No one is saying you can't sand your discs down and have recreational fun. I just think a competitive level unnatural(unnatural meaning that doesn't happen from wear and tear from play) alterations shouldn't be allowed in competitive play.

Rules change over time so maybe in the end, these rules will become arbitrary and we won't have to worry about it.

Permission granted.......I won't tell if you won't! But if you flap your gums to a card mate, then win your card, you might find yourself with a dq. There's plenty of people that will throw the rule book at you when given an opportunity. Remember, it's only cheating if you get caught........or is it?

Wont happen. Can't get DQ'd for it as there is no specific rule against it.

If someone tried pulling that on me, I would say show me the rule.

And they wouldn't be able to.

If a disc is meant to be flat and comes out domey, IMO the disc is flawed. We, the consumer, should have the right to fix this problem by flattening the disc to create a comfortable grip.
As a consumer, we also have the right to not purchase a disc we think is somehow "flawed" as you put it. Most people realize that discs within a mold can often vary from run to run. If you want a flat disc, buy a flat disc.

If you start specifically allowing some post-production modification to discs, it starts you down a very slippery slope and much more questions about what is and is not allowed.
ding, ding, ding, ding ding!

That said Dikka, sometimes you're simply better off not advertising what you do.

I have a question about modifying a disc , but I don't want to start a new thread so Im just going to piggyback on this silly thing. If I was to casually sand a new disc to drop the overall weight down a gram or two, where on the disc would is effect the flight the least? Do worry, it's just for non sanctioned play I swearsies :thmbup:

I still dont get why there are such strict rules for modifications.

Yes, the disc should be round and have roughly the same size, and yes if it has a hole in the middle it's an aerobie and not a disc. But after that, who cares realy? And why?

I know the disc producers care, but why should the players?

I mean there are allready such big differences between the discs, even in the same production run. One destroyer can flip like a valkyrie and the next one is more overstable than an firebird. If the players have to hold up to such high standarts and arent allowed to change their discs at all, wouldnt it make sense to also enforce some standarts on the production?

Wont happen. Can't get DQ'd for it as there is no specific rule against it.

If someone tried pulling that on me, I would say show me the rule.

And they wouldn't be able to.

Thought there was something about natural wear, but modified/ altered not acceptable? Too late to try and pull a quote. I don't mind either way. If I want to sand ,grind, flatten, smash , or carve my stuff....I will.

Wait, they wanted to copy the groove??! I would let them do it solely on the grounds that the polecat is the worst disc ever made. There is no way that a bag full of grooves would help anyone with their game. J/k, but seriously, wtf?

How would anyone know you flattened the disc? Even if you told someone, and they called you on a nonexistent rule, how would they prove it? It's exactly the same as beating your disc into its sweet spot by drowning it.

Fixed.

I know the disc producers care, but why should the players?

It _is_ us, the players, that care. A care we express via our representation in PDGA.

Because it is a competitive game. There needs to be some limits so we are all playing on the reasonably even and reasonably sane field.

The disc producers would LOVE to have less tied hands.

Of course you can flatten your disc out or try to add the dome back after your wife puts a shopping bag on your disc in the back seat and you go to a tourney to find you driver has a happy dimple in it. Do what you want baby. Merica!

I'm sorry, but the slippery slope argument is not a fair point. I would go so far as to say it's a logical fallacy.

Saying "post production modification" makes it sound much more nefarious. Do people really think an advantage is being obtained by this? All it is doing is saving time and money and increasing enjoyment.

Latest posts