• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Philo Ace

177 ft? This is Top 10 worthy?

Jeez, now we're getting picky. Have aces on video making Sportscenter become a taken for granted thing already? Looked like an uphill throw, so it plays longer than 177, but really, how is that relevant?

I think the more important aspect is that not only did yet another tourney ace get to ESPN, but this one was captured from two angles and is well edited together. I think that makes the sport look that much better. It isn't a cell phone video like Nate's Memorial ace, or a one-camera shot like Feldberg at Maple Hill. The production looks professional...like we're not just hippies flinging discs in the woods.

Jeez, now we're getting picky. Have aces on video making Sportscenter become a taken for granted thing already? Looked like an uphill throw, so it plays longer than 177, but really, how is that relevant?

I think the more important aspect is that not only did yet another tourney ace get to ESPN, but this one was captured from two angles and is well edited together. I think that makes the sport look that much better. The production looks professional...like we're not just hippies flinging discs in the woods.

Totally agree. How is any of this bad? I actually thought the hole was beautiful. SMH.

Also, Philo is a great guy and a talented & underrated pro and he cuts a charismatic & marketable figure on TV. This was good too.

I also like how the ESPN producers added the graphic showing where the basket was. It showed attention to how the sports looks on TV and an inclination to make the sports more accessible to newbies seeing disc golf for the first time, from the ESPN production staff. I wonder if that was Mahmoud's doing.

And you had Steve Levy riffing on the Freddy/Philo Brathwaite name thing.

Again, for the life of me, I can't see how ANY of it was bad.

Abso-friggin-lutely. Especially when it's on a beautiful uphill hole with boulders at a gem of a course during a great tournament. It was a helluva lot tougher shot than an alley-oop Cuban dunk from the Pan American Games.

Abso-friggin-lutely. Especially when it's on a beautiful uphill hole with boulders at a gem of a course during a great tournament. It was a helluva lot tougher shot than an alley-oop Cuban dunk from the Pan American Games.

When Philo hits one, during a tournament round ... yes. It's taken Philo a lot of time and effort to become Philo. He is worthy. :thmbup:

I don't care how far it was, this is awesome for disc golf. No one has more style than Philo.

"Well, there's that disc golf again, with yet another hole in one. Seems like this sport is actually pretty easy if aces happen that often. Let's go back to a man's sport, like catching a ball while running."
Of course, it's summer, and ESPN is kinda lacking for highlights until football season starts up.

To everyone who thinks it's not Top 10 worthy, I didn't realize all of you were top 10 critics. JFC, our sport gets some recognition on national TV and you still find something to bitch about. Seeing as Sports Center hardly sees any DG footage, how would you be surprised that an ace, however easy or hard, makes it?

You should look at this moment as reasons to feel proud of progress that our sport has made, however small. Instead of being nitpicky whiners.

Edit: Oh and great Ace Philo. Great job getting on SC!

We get all this exposure, with epic shots on beautiful signature holes, going in in 1 shot, ON ESPN (biggest sports network), and now we start whining????

This is what we all wanted, this is awesome! Amd who cares if aces happen "frequently" - one of disc golf's draws is that its a little easier than ball golf, which Im assuming sees a lot less aces. Tons of top 10 plays are common occurances anyways. Please get off your high horses.

Rant over.

I think this is definitely not one of Philo's better aces.

-I think the filming was bad

-Such a short ace

-Really doesn't display the true challenge of hitting an ace.

To date, I think Doss's ace has been the best for an espn spot.

I think this is definitely not one of Philo's better aces.
Probably not, but probably one of his best-filmed.

-I think the filming was bad

Two HD camera angles with no shake and smooth zoom? Would honestly like to know how Jomez should've filmed it better. Serious question.

-Such a short ace

In a straight line, sure. Video can never translate true elevation, and this instance is no different. Hole plays at an uphill angle with a very sharp slope uphill right in front of you that's difficult to ignore from the tee(see the steps leading to the first tree gap); even aiming up, it feels like you're going to hit that first hill(and plenty of people do). Canopy prevents aiming really high and crashing in.

-Really doesn't display the true challenge of hitting an ace.

See above on why this isn't an easy ace. This is not 177' on flat ground in an open field. Unless distance the only qualifier for an ace you consider challenging, in that case it's Paige's bomb and that's about it.

Watching a pro ace this hole on camera makes it look easy. Try it sometime, let us know how you fare. Empty the bag. Cubby is fine with me if you can make it. Keep a tally though.

To date, I think Doss's ace has been the best for an espn spot.

If I didn't know better and was just a casual viewer, watching Doss's ace looks pretty easy. Wide open, flat, long to be sure, but a casual person doesn't know how tough it might be to clear the lake.

And much, much worse filming on Doss's ace over Philo's. Not knocking it, long shot and from the live feed cameras, but you brought up that Philo's was poorly filmed, so it bears mentioning.

Chicks dig the long ball, and Nate's ace looks sweeter just because of the D. Of the SC aces, I think Feldberg's is the most impressive. Philo's is awesome though, and Jomez did a great job of capturing it on film. Definitely top 10 worthy.

:thmbup:

And much, much worse filming on Doss's ace over Philo's. Not knocking it, long shot and from the live feed cameras, but you brought up that Philo's was poorly filmed, so it bears mentioning.

It wasn't the live camera, it was a cell phone video shot by someone in the gallery.

But seriously, quibbling over any disc golf footage that appears on the largest sports network in the world smacks of entitlement we don't deserve.

Couldn't agree more.

Sorry I was wrong on the live feed camera, thought I remembered the live feed using very little zoom, but now I think I recall Doss was on a different card than Terry was filming for that round.

Latest posts