• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick up your f*ing trash! More trash cans please.

Flyguy46

Par Member
Premium Member
I hope this is the right place for this. I might even cross post it. :|

So here is the thing all, I hate picking up trash after other people. I even went out and bought a claw and 30 gallon trash bags. I really got started doing it on my own because of the "The Trashman", Kyle from the Oh No Disc Golf Podcast. He is currently running a #cleanupcolorado event at different courses once a week in the Denver/Aurora/Parker Area.

Kyle has been rocking this out with pre-round trash pickup. He figured on about 300 lbs of trash from the 7 weeks he did it in 2021 and he only started in September of this year.

For those who are designing courses, please put in a trash can on every other hole or somewhere easily accessible while walking the course.

If you are a player, for the love of our disc courses, don't leave trash on the tee pads or on the ground. Pick up your f*ing trash!

Thanks for listening (or reading)!

OMG

I've resisted the urge to take a bag every time I play and police the area. If I did I'd have picked up 5x my body weight in tiny Fireball bottles. Kids must **** on these teepads at night or something. They actually burned some plastic **** on one this summer and that stuff is permanently married to the concrete. Made me bust my ass one time. Oh well. People. Can't live with them.

For those who are designing courses, please put in a trash can on every other hole or somewhere easily accessible while walking the course.

And who is going to check the cans and empty them?

People just need to learn to pack out whatever they pack in.

(Also, the vast majority of trash that I see on courses didn't come from disc golfers. Most of it blows in or is left by transients or other park users.)

The guy or guys you mentioned in the original post were in a video with that Trash Panda guy. They took a bunch of plastic bags and bottles and turned it into a disc.

People just need to learn to pack out whatever they pack in.

This.

Is it nice when there are garbage cans at multiple tees? Sure, but it takes add'l labor to pick up trash from a bunch of spots.

I'm fine with one can at the beginning of the course. More cost efficient for budgets.

Last edited:
i pick up trash frequently at my local parks and dg courses

biggest offenders are tobacco products then alcohol containers then fast food

for some reason mj items are rarely found (however i suspect a decent number of snacks come from them)

also leaving your dog **** on the trail isnt lnt

Beer drinkers at ZBo are the biggest offenders at that park. The other parks I play don't seem to have the same issue for the most part.

Yeah, the people who don't pick up after their dogs should be castrated so they can't breed and produce other lazy, irresponsible people.

And who is going to check the cans and empty them?.

I was going to mention this.

I'll use our club as an example of how we handle trash. Before the end of the year, our club has a sign up sheet for volunteers to pick a month to do the trash. This is at only one of our courses (NAD Park) because the other courses either have no cans and are pack-in pack-out, or a course steward takes care of it. All months get covered before the year starts, and after each month, that month's volunteer gets 2 free passes for the P2P courses on the bolf course. It's a nasty job but usually only has to be done twice in the month, and of course, it's worse in the summer.
The pack-out courses actually had more trash when there were a few cans set out there, but it's not maintained by the club and the cans weren't being emptied often enough. The cans were removed, and now there is mostly just the occasional Rainier beer can. I don't know what it is about Rainier beer. It's always mostly those cans, probably the same guy.

Anyways, our courses stay pretty clean, we get a lot of compliments from out-of-towners.

Beer drinkers at ZBo are the biggest offenders at that park. The other parks I play don't seem to have the same issue for the most part.

A can and bottle deposit helps keep beer cans/bottles to nearly nonexistent.

Cig butts, water/gatorade/energy drink cans/bottles (no deposit on these) seem to be the worst offenders.

^this. At 10¢ a container, the indigent collect the empties to scrape up a few bucks. I see it at most of the courses I play around here, but only for beer and soda.

Too bad there's no deposit on water, Gatorade, Alice tea or energy drinks. I wish all drink containers had a deposit, because that would mean hardly any would be left behind.

That said, people who litter make me sick. Food wrappers and cigarette butts are probably the biggest issues I see, followed by beverage containers.

Bottom line is way too many people can't be trusted do the right thing. :(

And who is going to check the cans and empty them?

Fortunately, at my home course we have Park Rangers who do this. But despite their best efforts, I've seen the raccoons come out just before sunset to pick through the trash and make a mess which the wind can blow around. Especially on the weekends. I always have a plastic grocery bag attached to my cart and pick up as I go. What gets me, though, are the beer cans back in the brush. I have yet to see a raccoon chugging a beer. When I do, I'll be sure to take and post some pictures. :)

Well, how about we as members of DGCR show others how to behave and keep our courses clean. I am more than happy to keep things going on my end!

This.

Is it nice when there are garbage cans at multiple tees? Sure, but it takes add'l labor to pick up trash from a bunch of spots.

I'm fine with one can at the beginning of the course. More cost efficient for budgets.

Very true but we all need to step up and do our part. I am actually reaching out to a few Parks Departments to ask how I can help!

Disc golf courses shouldn't need trash cans. If you were able to carry it in, you are able to carry it out...

It's so simple and obvious, it feels stupid to even type it.

I agree but stupid is, as stupid does!

Disc golf courses shouldn't need trash cans. If you were able to carry it in, you are able to carry it out...

It's so simple and obvious, it feels stupid to even type it.

I already niced this but can't stress how great of a point this is. Pack it in, pack it out. Nothing about this concept doesn't make sense.

It has been my experience that courses with many trash cans seem to be more littered than those without. It doesn't make sense but thats just my own observation.