• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pictures + Reviews = Confusion

So what you're saying is that they just took bad pictures of numerous holes playing over roads and beside buildings and dumpsters?

But hey what I do know? I'm just another dbag NC guy.

Last edited:
I'm going to be in Denver this summer and plan to play most of the courses there. I had already decided to skip Colorado Heights University because of the silly $50 to buy a pass rule. Now I really want to see it for myself. I may have to pull a ninja and sneak on to check it out.

So what you're saying is that they just took bad pictures of numerous holes playing over roads and beside buildings and dumpsters?

Actually, I haven't even looked at the course in the OP. Just commenting on a subsequent post. Pictures DON'T always tell the whole story. But from what I've read along this thread, it does seem like a few hometown refs are reviewing this course.

But hey what I do know? I'm just another dbag NC guy.

Don't know you, so I can't judge. :) I can't think of an NC course I've played that I didn't like, though. That's why Mark hates me because I keep coming back. ;)

Sorry, but I've played three different college courses in Iowa of all places that beat this course on elevation alone....one is free and the other two which are pay allow day passes.

I know some courses don't look as stellar when pictures are taken in the Winter months.
For those of you taking pictures, this bears repeating. I don't mind some winter pics for contrast, but get a set of photos when the foliage is prime. Since this course is new, I'll give it a free pass for now.

Also, some people take bad pictures.
This also bears repeating. Showing what's off to the left and right on a hole is important in disc golf, therefore, HORIZONTAL PHOTOS ONLY PLEASE. I don't know why so many folks here turn the camera vertical when its unnecessary.

Yeah, I'm underwhelmed. 3 or 3.5 at best. What others have said: not much elevation, safety concerns, etc. It looks like a nice course, although the designers must have had their hands tied with geography to have to throw across roads or paths. I also find the comment "The only course I've played that's more challenging is DeLaveaga Park in Santa Cruz, CA due to more water and geologic hazards" clearly hasn't played anything like Nevin, Sontag, Loriella, or other longer and heavily wooded courses on the East Coast.

I guess I'll be the first one to speak up for the CHU course. I'm one of the silly people who paid $50 to play this course for a calendar year. I did this because it's roughly a 5 minute drive from my house (granted, this has nothing to do with a courses rating), and I had heard some amazing things about how this course plays.

As it turns out, I was not disappointed. If I reviewed courses, I would probably not go so far as to give this a 5 rating, but it is a solid 4 in my opinion. The streets that you are seeing in the "old" pictures are roads that wind through the private campus the course is on. The buildings are obviously school related and some of them are dorms. Each hole has two different tee pads and at least 2 difference pin positions. This basically makes it feel like a 36 hole course, especially if you play it back-to-back from the opposite pads.

One of the greatest aspects of this new course is the fact that there are very few people on it at any given time. This alone is worth the price tag, and I've figured that if I play the course 10 times this year I'll have made it worth forking over the cash (I'm pretty sure I'm over that number already this summer). This course, despite the lack of any severe elevation changes, is challenging and requires a fairly large skill set. It is the best course in the Denver/Metro area, and not just because all the courses in and around Denver are that poor.

:thmbup:

This also bears repeating. Showing what's off to the left and right on a hole is important in disc golf, therefore, HORIZONTAL PHOTOS ONLY PLEASE. I don't know why so many folks here turn the camera vertical when its unnecessary.

On my home course, there are two holes with a mandatory window about 50-75 feet off the tee (Ballou Park #2, holes #1 blue and #14 blue). In these cases, I think a vertical shot is a good one if done right, because you shouldn't worry about what's out there if you have to hit your window. Granted, an additional wide view helps. I also like a vertical shot to show a high ceiling for possible thumber lines. But I understand the point.

perfect example of this in my hometown called Texas Army Trail, its a dump of a course and you can see from the photos how non-existent the fairways are, but still has a cult of followers who are blind to the reality that it sucks

I get so mad when the garbage man puts the dumpster down to far right and screws up my hyzer line!

Thats not very green, just plant a bush everywhere you dont want him to put it down! Screw your BH im planting bushes all along the left side for my FH. Race you to the shovels.

Have you ever checked out a course page that had stellar reviews but when you looked through the pictures you couldn't figure out what everybody was raving about?

It's happened to me a couple of times but just now with Colorado Heights University, it happened in a way I can't really figure out. There must be something about this course the pictures just isn't capturing. I've never been one to judge a course by its pictures or even its reviews, I'll go play just about anything and judge for myself; there's just something about this course I just don't get. One hole appears to have you playing through a dumpster and a building, many are over roads, one is past a metal fence over some roads and in to the middle of what appears to be a traffic circle or parking lot, the last four or five holes appear to be just out in a big field.

I'm not attacking any of the reviewers, a trusted reviewer has given the course a 4 so there's something about it that makes it worth it.... I just don't get it.
Judging from the pictures I suspect the real motive for this course was to increase the auto insurance rates in the University area...

When I saw the title of this thread, I was already thinking of this exact course. Granted, I haven't played it, because paying $5 to throw at buildings, dumpsters, and cars sounds off. Paying $50 is not on my radar at all.

You are absolutely getting local love. The Mile High Club sees it as "their" course, and love that they're the only ones playing it. For this to be rated equal to Beaver Ranch or Phantom Falls is just stupid.

Sadly, you'll get no neutral reviews because nobody aside from the locals will pay to play it. Security is very tight, and sneaking on won't work.

Glad I'm not the only one seeing this. I brought this up on the Mile High forums, and everyone jumped on me.

Meh.

I highly underestimated the locals who designed this course. There's not just one dumpster on a hole blocking your hyzer route.. there's 2. If you didn't see the expanded pictures of the course in the links page check them out.

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

I love that basket location, it's beautiful!!!!