• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing a tourney with your toddler

Wow, tough crowd. Haven't any of you been in a bind and there was nobody to watch your kids?

Yes. Many times over the years. I stayed home with my son or we did something else where his presence wasn't imposing on other people.

Perhaps that's because I have no raging sense of entitlement to where I think other people should have to put up with any damn stupid thing I want to do.

That said, I have seen people successfully pull off a 18 hole round with a little one in a stroller. If you can work a miracle to get that to work then more power to ya but that just seems to me to be a giant roll of the dice.

Playing rounds with chilluns is fine. I play rounds somewhat regularly with a couple that has an infant. He's gone with us since shortly after he was born, carried by one parent or the other or in the stroller. He can even chuck a disc a handful of feet.

Another guy who plays irregularly often has his daughter along, throwing 40' at a time. Not a problem. Another lady has a Godzilla-sized 4 yo who comes along sometimes. Again, we're happy to have him along.

The rounds are all casual rounds with players who know the chilluns are going to be along and are happy to have them. We aren't playing in leagues or tourneys.

So it's certainly not necessary to stop playing just because of chilluns. It does change the nature of the rounds you play, though, as inflicting children on players who haven't consented to it prior and who want to play serious rounds without the added distractions is just rude.

Perhaps that's because I have no raging sense of entitlement to where I think other people should have to put up with any damn stupid thing I want to do.

What about the raging entitlement to never hear or see a child? That is legit?

1. If that happened it would not have enough steam to hurt anyone
2. We have well designed courses here in MN where that is not an issue
Ball golf is not disc golf.

The example by similarity is valid. And I doubt MN courses are the Augusta to everyone else's Bushwood.

What about the raging entitlement to never hear or see a child? That is legit?

At a tourney where you paid $50? Sure.
But having said that, most of my casual rounds with some friends involve a kid or two, one in a stroller(which he parks about 30 ft from the tee) and a few about 6-8 yo, who hang within a few hundred ft doing their own thing. Honestly, I've had much worse "adult" cardmates on tourneys.

The example by similarity is valid. And I doubt MN courses are the Augusta to everyone else's Bushwood.

At a tourney where you paid $50? Sure.
But having said that, most of my casual rounds with some friends involve a kid or two, one in a stroller(which he parks about 30 ft from the tee) and a few about 6-8 yo, who hang within a few hundred ft doing their own thing. Honestly, I've had much worse "adult" cardmates on tourneys.

Ball golf uses a mechanical instrument to propel balls three times the speed and distance of golf discs. Scoring is the only similarity.

Read my posts chumbalone, I said from the get go nobody should bring a kid to a tournament, we agree on this issue.

The danger to spectators is probably worse for disc golf than for ball golf, but that's the similarity I was getting at. A few years ago a mother watching her daughter's volleyball in a CA park was hit in the face by a disc, and lost an eye. I think the worst I've heard of in ball golf was a concussion.

Last edited:
The danger to spectators is probably worse for disc golf than for ball golf, but that's the similarity I was getting at. A few years ago a mother watching her daughter's volleyball in a CA park was hit in the face by a disc, and lost an eye. I think the worst I've heard of in ball golf was a concussion.

Golf isn't played in public parks with non Golfers walking their dogs, playing catch, and chasing Pokemon either.

Playing rounds with chilluns is fine. I play rounds somewhat regularly with a couple that has an infant. He's gone with us since shortly after he was born, carried by one parent or the other or in the stroller. He can even chuck a disc a handful of feet.

Another guy who plays irregularly often has his daughter along, throwing 40' at a time. Not a problem. Another lady has a Godzilla-sized 4 yo who comes along sometimes. Again, we're happy to have him along.

The rounds are all casual rounds with players who know the chilluns are going to be along and are happy to have them. We aren't playing in leagues or tourneys.

So it's certainly not necessary to stop playing just because of chilluns. It does change the nature of the rounds you play, though, as inflicting children on players who haven't consented to it prior and who want to play serious rounds without the added distractions is just rude.

This X100.

The only way I play a non-casual round anymore is if I have someone to watch my kids. Easier now that my daughter is old enough to watch my son, but it doesn't always work that way. If I have to drive over an hour to get to the tourney, I'm getting someone to watch them or I don't play. My son is pretty well-behaved on the course, and he goes with me sometimes when I play casual. In a few years I may let him play an Ace Race or something like that, but now he's just going to distract everyone playing.

Tournament setting is not a place for little kids, especially a toddler who needs constant supervision and care.

I don't think it's entitlement to not want to babysit other people's kids by default.

Especially if im trying to concentrate on my own game.

I wouldn't let a crumb bum like you watch my kids, especially while you play bogey golf.

Wow, tough crowd. Haven't any of you been in a bind and there was nobody to watch your kids? Or is life that easy that everything always falls into place. :\

I still say cut the guy some slack, if he brought the kiddo for a good reason. Now, if wifey is home on the couch eating Bon-Bons, then that's another story.

This is pretty much true. It's been over 2 years since my last tourney, and the chances of me playing another one are slim to none...at least for the forseeable future.

There are some things you don't bring a two year old kid to. If your babysitter/other parent/who ever you lined up to watch your kids falls through, you don't get to go. That's part of being a parent. Sucks for you, but you got responsibilities. I've had friends pull out of plans at the last minute a number of times for this.

Now, casual rounds are another thing. You still have to deal with the kid and maybe leave if you can't get them under control, but I'm usually ok with that sort of thing.

That said, a friend of mine brought to of his step kids to a round once, and I was about ready to kill the three of them. If it had been a tournament I would have had some words with him.

be smart about how do things, especially with kids, and you can do anything.

I bring my kids to all the leagues I run. They are unsanctioned, doubles, and super casual. Dogs, beverages, kids, old folks, stoners, weirdos, females, and anyone else is welcome. I do that intentionally.

Now as far as sanctioned tourney go, my kids stay home. The reason, pure selfishness. Being responsible for children 100% of the time is a full time job, and during a tournament I do t want that responsibility.

So cute. I'm a father and I have the #1 tag in my club right now.

Try again.

So your entire club plays worse than bogey golf?

J/k please don't hit me

Beat me to it!

Really though you telling me that you would be babysitting my kids by the mere fact that I brought them out for a casual round is ridiculous. If you bring your kids to the mall the other mall goers aren't babysitting them, you are taking care of them, just like I am taking care of my kids at the course.

I was watching the Tour de France earlier. I wonder if any of the riders ever feel the urge to strap on one of those bike child carrier seats and bring the little one along for the ride?

Beat me to it!

Really though you telling me that you would be babysitting my kids by the mere fact that I brought them out for a casual round is ridiculous. If you bring your kids to the mall the other mall goers aren't babysitting them, you are taking care of them, just like I am taking care of my kids at the course.

First of all your reading comprehension is lacking. The thread is about toddlers at tournaments/leagues. Not casual rounds.

My comment was related to that.

Latest posts