• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing from the water

Houstoned

Bogey Member
Well I did a forum search and came across an interesting thread(http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46302&highlight=playing+water) about being able to play from water that is not marked as OB. My question is why can't you play from OB water if you are crazy enough to get in it? You are taking a risk because of the resistance and poor footing so it could hurt you more than a one stroke penalty.

What is interesting to me is that in real golf, you are allowed to play out of any OB without penalty as long as you do not ground your club before your swing. I wish there was a rule like this for OB water in disc golf, so you get rewarded if you are crazy enough to wade in and play from waist deep water. Good decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeWxAlmRtu8 Terrible decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80

I think this should be the case for people who are crazy enough to climb up trees and play from there as well. Here is Sergio Garcia playing from a tree on the PGA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jORLiU7Ak

What are your thoughts DGCR?

Does anyone else play from the water a lot? On Greenbelt in DFW I play from the creek in waist deep water instead of taking the stroke, but I guess that is wrong?

What is interesting to me is that in real golf, you are allowed to play out of any OB without penalty as long as you do not ground your club before your swing.

This is incorrect. In ball golf, water and sand traps are considered hazards which is different than out of bounds areas.

JuJu you are correct, I misused the word OB. I guess my question should be, why does disc golf consider water OB when it is clearly in the middle of the course and not outside of the playable area?

Edit: I understand if the water is the playable area border on one side of the fairway, but if you have a lake that is entirely inside the course markers why is it still OB instead of a water hazard that you can play from?

Last edited:
Salmon, I think throwing a disc in chest high lake water is pretty challenging.

Billolick, I'm not saying the rules should make you play from the water, I just want to have the option when they put a lake in between me and the basket to play from said lake. They give you that option in ball golf.

Well this is not ball golf. And I think you are in a minority, most people prefer to stay dry.

Smigles, I am sure I am in the miniority on this, but I just don't understand why the option is not given? If I am crazy enough to get in the water, why not let me? It should be the player's decision in my opinion, but I guess I am alone in that.

Smigles, I am sure I am in the miniority on this, but I just don't understand why the option is not given? If I am crazy enough to get in the water, why not let me? It should be the player's decision in my opinion, but I guess I am alone in that.

Discs sink in water. It will almost always take longer than rules allow to find a disc that is submerged in water. It would have a huge impact on pace of play if players were looking for discs in water.

As far as your casual rounds go you can play by any rules and take as long as you want . :)

Jay Dub, I guess I never thought about the time issue. How long do you have to look for a disc when playing in tournaments? The water in our creeks is usually pretty clear so unless it's in the weeds, I can find it quickly.

I guess I should stop complaining and conform if I am going to get along and start playing some mini's. I got in the habit of getting in the water, because I learned on a course with water on all but 2 holes and I refuse to give up on discs even if they were $2 in the used section.

I think it's a 3 minute window once the whole group joins in the search, it might be 5 minutes now. But it's close to that amount of time.

If the water is not marked as OB, and, you don't want to or can't take casual relief/optional rethrow, you'll have to play it from the water. Enjoy!

Teemkey, I watched the final round on youtube a couple weeks ago and loved it. I grew up playing ball golf and always admired players who made the choice to play from trouble. It is a risk reward decision and I respect a person who trusts their skills enough to risk a big number to pull off an incredible shot from the woods or water. You remember the holes you scrambled for par from deep in the woods. You don't remember the holes you laid up on.

I remember playing tournaments at Greenbelt Park in the 80's & 90's and there was one hole that always had water (huge casual puddle) surrounding it. Seems like it was the hole before you turned around to come back to the start.

Jean Van De Velde at St. Andrews British Open golf tournament was 2 shots up and hithis drive into a cross creek on hole 17. It's not OB, jus a hazard. There's a tiny bit of water under the ball and while he's hemming and hawing and sizing up his shot, the tide comes in and submurges his ball. He loses 3 strokes to this hole and loses the British Open after they had already engraved his name onto the trophy! You have to know the rules, know what is OB or not, know your shots, and be decisive and trust your skill. Phil Mickelson hit a great shot from the beach at Pebble Beach onto the green. Wasn't OB. Play it where it lies. Our rule for "casual water" gives relief so you don't have to stand in it for safety.

one of the courses around here there are signs posted NOT to enter the water. the lake they land in has a lot of toxins in the water. so if my disc lands in there i consider it completely lost

:doh::wall::thmbdown:

Ball golf has totally different OB rules. There you are penalized stroke and distance which is different from other hazards. In DG there is only one type of hazard and it's called OB. Led to some confusion for me when I first started playing DG.

Latest posts