• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PLEASE RATE MY BAG

shanehester

Just a little bit of info about me, I have only played a few times but have been addicted to the sport ever since I threw the first disc. To say that I am a complete noob is a major understatement. My longest drive is about 100-150 feet so it is safe to say that I suck but I am eager to play and learn a lot more.

My current bag consists of the following:
Innova Valkyrie 150
Discraft Comet 170
Innova Pro Roc KC 167
Innova Cobra 167 (x2)
Innova Aviar 150
Innova Birdie 150

Its not much but its mine. Please tell me what i need to get or get rid of and don't go easy on me.

Thanks

Discraft Comet 170
Innova Aviar 150

If you're only throwing 100-150 feet, take your bag down to this. Once you're throwing the comet 250 at least, add some more discs back in.

also, if you can get a video of you driving for the technique section, you'll be able to get a lot of help from that too.

Only thing it looks like you could use is a leopard, learn to throw all these discs with hyzer and you'll have an Excellent base to build your learning on.

No, no leopard. At 150' of peak distance, stick to the comet.

yea you're right he's got too many discs as it is, just learn to throw with hyzer, and everything will be easier to learn

I'd put the valk away until you hit 200 with a comet. I am guessing that current hooks way hard for you anyways. Don't sell it though. You'll love it later.

Half of these discs were my wife's, she played once and never since so her discs became mine haha. She had a leopard but she sent it into the water at Franklin-Simpson DGC the very first time either one us ever played. The comet is becoming my favorite disc for the moment so I think I will work on getting my distance up with that. Thanks for the help it was and is greatly appreciated.

I'd put the valk away until you hit 200 with a comet. I am guessing that current hooks way hard for you anyways. Don't sell it though. You'll love it later.

I would say at least until it's at least 280'.

You have a lot of understable and stable discs. The main thing I think you are missing is an overstable disc to deal with headwinds, and learn how to throw overheads.

At your current power level, I'd keep the birdie, aviar, roc and cobra, and then add a whippet, which is the slowest overstable disc I know of that is rated for overheads.

That bag should accomodate you until you can throw over 300 feet. The only other thing you might want is a putter for headwinds, hyzers, and flick hyzers. That could be a star aviar driver or rhyno, for example.

If you're only throwing 100-150 feet, take your bag down to this. Once you're throwing the comet 250 at least, add some more discs back in.

also, if you can get a video of you driving for the technique section, you'll be able to get a lot of help from that too.

QFT.

The only discs you should even be touching right now are the Cobras, Comet, Aviar, and Birdie. I'm not a huge fan of Birdies (I like Polecats and Rattlers better) but learning to throw a lid is a good way to fast-track your finesse game and learning how to throw clean. Keep it and try and goad your wife into playing catch with you. ;)

I'd use the Comet and the Cobras if the Comet is Z plastic, otherwise I'd go either/or. The Aviar is pretty light for a putter, I'd get a 170s weight one b/c putting is all about control and you don't want the wind blowing around your putter anymore than it already does.

Learn to shape lines (throw lots of hyzers!) and you'll work your way up to the Roc in no time.

Cheers. :thmbup:

I would def. agree about getting yourself familiar with just the Cobra, Comet, and Aviar for now until you can get well over 2oo' with the Comet. Dont' worry about an overstable disc to fight winds- you aren't really going to be feeling that too much at the distance you're throwing. learn those three, and you'll be set.

Innova Valkyrie 150
Discraft Comet 170
Innova Pro Roc KC 167
Innova Cobra 167 (x2)
Innova Aviar 150
Innova Birdie 150

like others have said you need to dial back the number of molds. with what you have and the distance you are throwing theres several different ways you could go. Definitely keep the Aviar and drop the Birdie. You have 3 mids pick one, personally i would say a Cobra will be more beginner friendly for you and have more uses than the Roc or Comet. The Valkyrie should be put away for future use. pick up a gazelle for your driver, this will be more verstile at first then a leopard

so if it were me:
Gazelle type driver
Cobra (id use one or the other of the 2 you have...no need to carry both at first)
Aviar

Just a little bit of info about me, I have only played a few times but have been addicted to the sport ever since I threw the first disc. To say that I am a complete noob is a major understatement. My longest drive is about 100-150 feet so it is safe to say that I suck but I am eager to play and learn a lot more.

My current bag consists of the following:
Innova Valkyrie 150
Discraft Comet 170
Innova Pro Roc KC 167
Innova Cobra 167 (x2)
Innova Aviar 150
Innova Birdie 150

Its not much but its mine. Please tell me what i need to get or get rid of and don't go easy on me.

Thanks

I have not read the other responses, but here is what I would say. Comet is very sensitive for a new player who only throws in the 100's. Maybe look into a meteor. 150 birdie is a kids disc and not a very good one at that. Look into getting a heavier and higher quality putter. Aviar is better, but unless you are 12 ditch the 150 class.
I would get a Leopard as your next driver once you get some more experience. no other drivers until you break 225 in 3 out of 4 drives. Then maybe add another fairway driver.
Learn the Roc, it will be the savior of your game. Play 75% of the course with your Roc.

If you are only throwing 100-150 you are probably curling like a frisbee or throwing way to high.

Last edited:
I have not read the other responses, but here is what I would say. Comet is very sensitive for a new player who only throws in the 100's. Maybe look into a meteor. 150 birdie is a kids disc and not a very good one at that. Look into getting a heavier and higher quality putter. Aviar is better, but unless you are 12 ditch the 150 class.
I would get a Leopard as your next driver once you get some more experience. no other drivers until you break 225 in 3 out of 4 drives. Then maybe add another fairway driver.
Learn the Roc, it will be the savior of your game. Play 75% of the course with your Roc.

If you are only throwing 100-150 you are probably curling like a frisbee or throwing way to high.
:thmbup:

Also, don't get pressured into getting a champion or star leopard- that actually could rock your face off for a while since those are much more stable than their DX counterparts, of which I'd highly recommend finding in the 170 range.

Guys 170 is pretty heavy for a beginner, I started out there and wish someone would have told me the benefits of lighter discs. The 150's are a little to light though, especially for a putter.

Give the birdie to the next kid you see playing with out a putter or keep it for catch.
This is my suggestion, which mirrors a couple of the responses.

Aviar
Cobra
Comet

As others have said, a Leopard is a great idea. It's easy to find in DX, but if you want better plastic that flies the same way, go for Pro. I would go lighter than 170 at your level (mine is 166). That disc will be great for learning to throw, and it will also likely have a place in your bag at all different stages of your game as you improve.

Also, I don't really recommend "discing down" right off the bat for beginners. Sure, if you're breeding an elite disc golf force it's probably the best way to improve; but odds are this guy is just looking to get outside and have a good time. A driver is usually the most fun to throw, and watching a disc soar is what keeps a beginner loving the game. Plus it can be frustrating when your friends are throwing twice as far as you (even if their form is bad too) because you're stuck throwing a Comet off the tee.

My advice: go ahead and use a driver, but make it one that you can control. Fairway drivers are what you want to look for. As I said before, I recommend a DX or Pro Leopard. Just enjoy yourself, learn the couple of discs you carry, and don't worry about discing down quite yet.

Also, I don't really recommend "discing down" right off the bat for beginners. Sure, if you're breeding an elite disc golf force it's probably the best way to improve; but odds are this guy is just looking to get outside and have a good time. A driver is usually the most fun to throw, and watching a disc soar is what keeps a beginner loving the game. Plus it can be frustrating when your friends are throwing twice as far as you (even if their form is bad too) because you're stuck throwing a Comet off the tee.

My advice: go ahead and use a driver, but make it one that you can control. Fairway drivers are what you want to look for. As I said before, I recommend a DX or Pro Leopard. Just enjoy yourself, learn the couple of discs you carry, and don't worry about discing down quite yet.

Good advice from Raptor.

I'm just gonna throw this out there, I'm glad I didn't do this. I started for maybe three weeks with a sidewinder, and then I came on here and DGR and figured stuff out. well, not entirely, I'm discing down again