• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post-production Hot Stamps are Illegal

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Supposedly from the rules committee. Hot stamps not done by the manufacturer are illegal, lol.

RXUW10d.jpeg

I don't see any way anyone could have ever thought they were legal to begin with. (Whether they should/should not be is a different thing entirely.)

I don't see any problem. Imagine someone calling a violation on Drew Gibson for an illegal jump man hot stamp. Internet gold.

I don't see any problem. Imagine someone calling a violation on Drew Gibson for an illegal jump man hot stamp. Internet gold.

I actually prefer the idea of Michael Jordan or a rep from Nike randomly coming across disc golf footage of Drew and suing him over use of the logo. Won't ever happen, but I'd love to see it SOLEY for the publicity it would put on the sport. All press is good press. Bigger purses, better sponsors. lol

I'm trying to understand the logic. How is a retailer stamping blank discs for custom runs any different than a manufacture?

I'm trying to understand the logic. How is a retailer stamping blank discs for custom runs any different than a manufacture?

Physically it is not. Clearly against the rules as currently written though. IMO that section could use some "freshening up." The idea of custom hotstampers outside the factory wasn't really a thing way back when these rules were conceived. What I would really like to see changed is the idea that a sticker placed at the factory is OK.

A sticker is not part of the disc. Why would you think they're OK just because the manufacturer stuck it?

Because that is how they have been treated for as long as I can remember would be answer number 1. Sticker from manufacturer=part of the production process.

Answer number 2 would be that they are effectively the same as a hot stamp (also not really part of the disc)- has thickness/adheres to disc/goes away over time.

A sticker is not part of the disc. Why would you think they're OK just because the manufacturer stuck it?

But who is out there calling illegal discs on (for instance) Discraft throwers who still have that little yellow weight range sticker on the inner rim? There are much more egregious stickers from manufacturers out there (giant Innova stickers with the name and flight numbers, the Kastaplast ones that take a grinding wheel to get off, etc). I've just never seen anyone called on it or been convinced it affects the flight enough to warrant calling someone on it. I don't think I've ever actually seen someone question another person's disc legality (in any form) besides the one time a guy on my card used a Condor and one of our cardmates "asked if it was legal" cause it looked like an Ultimate Disc. I'm just trying to think of "why now" is this a problem they are addressing (and doing so in a very vague way that needs clarification).

So does a post-produced F2 or other seconds stamp make the disc illegal? Or DGU or DiscGolfValues? They aren't the original manufacturer, heck even Millenium isn't the 'producer' of their discs.

stickers don't come up in pdga813.01, so the only direction you get is this:
C. Other modifications to a disc after production make the disc illegal, including but not limited to: ...
given the sticker is part of the production, it would seem that it might be legal; this would also make removing the sticker illegal. but as was pointed out, the sticker isn't part of the disc (not that the hotstamp is either tho)

also poking around i though this was interesting from https://www.pdga.com/files/pdga-technical-standards_2021-01-20_0.pdf
As of July 1, 2010, all newly approved discs must carry
the approved model name either engraved in the mold or as part of the disc art or by indelible
ink marking. The full model name is recommended, but the use of unique abbreviations or
codes is acceptable ...
can't think of an example right now, but i'm sure there are some molds coming out unmarked

Honestly, this is truly yawn worthy and a waste of very useful time.
Could someone please think of the middle managers who have to make these dauntingly awesome and HARD decisions.
They put a lot of effort in today. Give them a raise!
Sarcasm off.

As of July 1, 2010, all newly approved discs must carry
the approved model name either engraved in the mold or as part of the disc art or by indelible
ink marking. The full model name is recommended, but the use of unique abbreviations or
codes is acceptable ...

That reads like it's only required for newly approved discs. I'm sure that wasn't the intent, but still.