• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Potential tech standards changes?

No and I understand its hard (expensive might be a better word) to get things started, but its certainly a way to help grow the sport and bring more awareness. Baseball or any other sport didnt start out bringing in the big dollars right away..it grew into it.

I really don't think the fact that you can't put 18 holes on 10 acres anymore is what they are worried about, though.

I'm guessing that's at least part of what Duval meant by sustainable. Either way, it's one potential argument in favor of that kind of restriction (though there are plenty of arguments the other way too).

Gosh. The company with Blizzard technology wants to outlaw heavy drivers for "safety reasons." Surely there is no ulterior motive.

Gosh. The company with Blizzard technology wants to outlaw heavy drivers for "safety reasons." Surely there is no ulterior motive.
If they limit the wing size, Blizzard goes bye-bye. They can already make 150 class Champ drivers in discs with smaller wings. Blizzard at that point becomes an answer with no question.

The only blizzard discs are the fast discs they're trying to get rid of anyway, I'm not sure how that would help them any.

EDIT: sniped by threeputt

The OP sounded like he wants to limit weight on high speed drivers. Not like he wants to further limit wing width.

No and I understand its hard (expensive might be a better word) to get things started, but its certainly a way to help grow the sport and bring more awareness. Baseball or any other sport didnt start out bringing in the big dollars right away..it grew into it.
Old sports like baseball had the advantage of developing in a time when people were not marketed to as aggressively as we are now. It survived because people actually liked it, and equipment manufacturers get involved after the fact to fill the demand.

Disc golf is like a lot of modern things. The product pre-dates the demand. Wham-O had Frisbees. They wanted to market Frisbees as sporting goods so they could sell more Frisbees, so they came up with games they could prop up as sports with advertising dollars. That was where the IFA budget came from, the Wham-O marketing division. Frisbee sports were marketed and sold to us. Disc golf came out of that, the PDGA is a direct descendent of that, and the marketing of companies selling equipment still drives a lot of what goes on in disc golf.

So where baseball was a game that was allowed to develop and later caught the attention of businesses, disc golf has from the beginning been a money grab born in a marketing meeting. Apples/oranges.

At the next meeting, is anyone going to fire a stack of rocs at some hats?

The OP sounded like he wants to limit weight on high speed drivers. Not like he wants to further limit wing width.
Eh, Shawn told a story of a weird thing Harold Duvall did at a PDGA summit. I don't think even Shawn really knows what exactly Harold wants to see happen.

I like the spirit behind this idea, but way, way too many cats have been let out of the bag by now. I would hate to play at the first tournament after such a restriction in technical standards was put in place.

The problem isn't high speed drivers, it's high speed drivers in the wrong hands. Nukes don't kill people, newbs with Nukes kill people.

A license should be required to throw anything over a speed 7. Driving discs could follow the same path as driving cars - putters are like walking, mids are bicycles, fairways are go carts, distance drivers require a written and practical test and a year with a learners permit before you can throw them on your own.

Or we could limit the game to a single mold, as long as it's a roc or wizard, I'm all for it, 90% of my throws are with those 2 discs anyway.

Note that the anchored putter change was announced more than 3 years in advance.

~2.5 years or so, but who's counting? :)

Proposal announced November, 2012, but not officially announced as the final rule until a few weeks ago.

The cat may be out of the bag, just as in golf where people wish we could shrink driver heads and make the ball go shorter distances (some do, anyway).

The ban goes in effect Jan 1, 2016 more than 3 years after the Nov 2012 announcement.

Note that the anchored putter change was announced more than 3 years in advance.
Even the Turbo Putt was given some time to go away quietly. That was a great move. No one was talking about it anymore by the time its approval expired. It had already slid off to oblivion.

I doubt the Destroyer would do that, though.

Even the Turbo Putt was given some time to go away quietly. That was a great move. No one was talking about it anymore by the time its approval expired. It had already slid off to oblivion.

I doubt the Destroyer would do that, though.

Let alone the groove... :p

If any change occurs, maybe they'll start in the high level events and later move down each year. Even if the thousands of older discs become "illegal" for competition, rec players will still use them. However, liability issues and peer pressure will reduce their use in unsanctioned play over time similar to how you don't see too many Aerobies used on DG courses. Those using "illegal" discs even now expose themselves to harsher penalties in case of accidents and unsanctioned events allowing them will likely not get insurance.

The ban goes in effect Jan 1, 2016 more than 3 years after the Nov 2012 announcement.

That wasn't when it was announced. It was proposed then, and put out for discussion and comments. It was announced as official and finalized a few weeks ago.

http://www.usga.org/news/2013/May/USGA,-R-A-Adopt-Rule-14-1b/

If any change occurs, maybe they'll start in the high level events and later move down each year. Even if the thousands of older discs become "illegal" for competition, rec players will still use them. However, liability issues and peer pressure will reduce their use in unsanctioned play over time similar to how you don't see too many Aerobies used on DG courses. Those using "illegal" discs even now expose themselves to harsher penalties in case of accidents and unsanctioned events allowing them will likely not get insurance.

Yes and people will lose them, they'll break or get dinged up, people will throw them away, etc.

Last edited:
Personally, I think all of this is because Duvall can throw 500 feet. But not with a Stiletto. Stiletto. Stiletto.

citizen-kane-clapping.gif