• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Potential tech standards changes?

Im not really sure how safety can ever be an issue with disc golf... Just pay attention. Can you imagine getting hit with a bad drive in ball golf?? That could kill, but you dont see them hitting tennis balls(or whatever would be softer) around do you?

valid points, but ball golf doesn't share courses with public parks. the idea is based in safety and might be protecting more than just our fellow golfers.

disc golf does not have design standards in place for course design and holes can be laid out in a dangerous pattern that might not allow players to "look out". i have played many mickey mouse courses like this that can be quite dangerous no matter how aware you are of your surroundings.

My goodness, it's like saddling bats and balls in baseball with performance limitations. Who would ever do that? ;)

This wouldn't affect me all that much. I live in technical golf hell. I rarely use a disc faster than my PD. I can throw plenty far for the courses I play without pulling out a wide rim.

and I think this idea is dumb as hell.

If the PDGA approves a rule such as this people will run away from sanctioned events so fast it would crush them. My guess is a majority of the people who would support this rule change are people who grew with the game from when those discs didn't exist. Those people won't be playing the game much longer and the new crowd coming in won't support this.

Great point.

So you are one of the giants in the industry, but all these little upstarts are eating into your sales and profits...

Make a major rule change and wipe them out in one swoop.

Brilliant!

i'm gonna quote this because it's the most truth in this thread.

Prodigy loses 1/3 and best selling part of their line up
No more Nukes
No ub driver
No Salient driver
Lat, DD loses quite a few molds as well

Innova needs to keep its fingers out of lobbying the governing body.

i'm gonna quote this because it's the most truth in this thread.

Prodigy loses 1/3 and best selling part of their line up
No more Nukes
No ub driver
No Salient driver
Lat, DD loses quite a few molds as well

Innova needs to keep its fingers out of lobbying the governing body.

You don't think that destroyers, kraits, bosses, xcalibers, katanas, grooves, apes and vulcans make up a major part of Innova's revenue?

This wouldn't affect me all that much. I live in technical golf hell. I rarely use a disc faster than my PD. I can throw plenty far for the courses I play without pulling out a wide rim.

and I think this idea is dumb as hell.

If the PDGA approves a rule such as this people will run away from sanctioned events so fast it would crush them. My guess is a majority of the people who would support this rule change are people who grew with the game from when those discs didn't exist. Those people won't be playing the game much longer and the new crowd coming in won't support this.

This is a really solid point. As much as the old school mentality might still prevail, there will be a time when the modern age fully takes over.

You don't think that destroyers, kraits, bosses, xcalibers, katanas, grooves, apes and vulcans make up a major part of Innova's revenue?

I'm quoting this because it has usurped the title of "most truth in this thread."

Why would players care what they are made to throw, as long as everyone is playing under the same set of rules? Is the tourney populace that immature? So you can no longer use wide rimmed drivers. So what? Neither can anybody else now. (Hypothetically)

Maybe it's time disc golfers grew up.

Why would players care what they are made to throw, as long as everyone is playing under the same set of rules? Is the tourney populace that immature? So you can no longer use wide rimmed drivers. So what? Neither can anybody else now. (Hypothetically)

Maybe it's time disc golfers grew up.

A lot of it is a macho mentality, I think. They want to prove they can throw the biggest, fastest thing out there the farthest.

And as far as the level playing field, people don't like having their rights dictated to them, by and large. Take the whole NSA phone records thing going on right now: Do I care if the government has my records? No, I've got nothing to hide. But thousands of other people are clamoring about how it is an invasion of privacy. This may not be the best analogy, but authority is not something people in the States are big on.

Do we want to go back to wooden tennis racquets, bamboo pole vaulting, no suspension mountain bikes, persimmon wooden golf drivers too, Converse Chuck Taylors? Hell no! Technology and innovation has driven the markets in all sports and we have the absolute limits allowable, so why change. I don't want to see 500 foot distance competitions.

baseball (single wall, zero pop bats) softball (softer balls, weaker bats) and football (no head shots or leading with your head) they are all taking steps back, i can't say i'm against slowing the discs down.

all of those sports have a huge and succesful league that is in no real danger of being replaced by something else. the NFL can do whatever it wants because it's the king of football.

the PDGA is nothing compared to them, people can walk away from the PDGA and not think twice about it. there's no huge money invested in the PDGA controlling all of professional disc golf.

I'm curious what they want the rim width limit to be. Going from 2.5 cm to 2.1 won't make any difference in course design or safety. And pros can still easily throw Teebirds (1.7 cm) over 400 feet.

Paul, what would you like to see the limit at?

I have to be honest and say I didn't read all 11 pages...just the first 3 and the last 2

In the intervening pages was there any discussion about weight?

In the OP it is stated that Duvall said HEAVY wide rimmed drivers

Could this not mean that LIGHT wide rimmed drivers are ok?

As in Blizzard

Conspiracy theory post...

I guess Lat, Westside and DD would still be ok

all of those sports have a huge and succesful league that is in no real danger of being replaced by something else. the NFL can do whatever it wants because it's the king of football.

the PDGA is nothing compared to them, people can walk away from the PDGA and not think twice about it. there's no huge money invested in the PDGA controlling all of professional disc golf.
You say there is no danger but what is baseball moves to all wood bats for all ages don't you think that will impact some companies just like disc golf would?

I'm curious what they want the rim width limit to be. Going from 2.5 cm to 2.1 won't make any difference in course design or safety. And pros can still easily throw Teebirds (1.7 cm) over 400 feet.

Paul, what would you like to see the limit at?

I wouldn't mind seeing it max out at a orc or beast whatever width those are but if safety is the reeason for this can you imagne a 9 year old kid throwing a boss with a couple friends and smacks one in the head, thier goes their disc golf future. parents won't push disc golf if they see that happen just like schools have taken away the game of dodgeball because that is to dangeous. Schools can push disc golf in its place if the discs are safer and slower.

The PDGA isn't driving this. Innova is. It would be like if Riddell had come out and demanded the NFL penalize for shots to the head. That's not how the hits to the head rule came about.

I'm sure this is a can of worms that the PDGA would rather not open. If they did want this can of worms open, they could have done it already when they updated the Tech Specs. The Tech Spec revision was before the Boss and a bunch of the discs we would be talking about were released, so it would make almost no sense to go back on that decision now that all those discs are out. When the revision was done, there was only a handful of discs with a wing wider than 2.1 cm. There are tons of them now.

Disc golf is relatively safe compared to most other sports even with heavy high speed drivers. Women's field hockey trumps football in concussions, yet it thrives. Cheerleading is among the most dangerous sports. Pole vault, javelin, hammer throw, gymnastics, soccer, hockey, basketball, football, baseball/softball, cycling, lacrosse are all way more dangerous.

I wouldn't mind seeing it max out at a orc or beast whatever width those are but if safety is the reeason for this can you imagne a 9 year old kid throwing a boss with a couple friends and smacks one in the head, thier goes their disc golf future. parents won't push disc golf if they see that happen just like schools have taken away the game of dodgeball because that is to dangeous. Schools can push disc golf in its place if the discs are safer and slower.

I wouldn't mind having to throw a PD instead of a Destroyer if everyone else had to as well, but I just think it would make little difference in distance and no difference in safety. A PD or Orc hitting someone in the face will do just as much damage as a Boss. And if safety really is the issue then it should be addressed in another way. This isn't a sport with defense. If a person gets hit then someone is doing something very wrong.

And Paul, how much distance would you lose if you had to throw an Orc, PD, or Starfire instead of a Destroyer?

I get the PDGA isnt pushing for this and they didn't bring it up, I'm just saying if they did go forward with this it wouldn't be good for them in the long run. Not that it would make financial sense in the present but it would not take a lot of effort for a group with enough interest to start a professional tour with much more incentives.

I'd also like to point out, if it hasn't already, that it makes a lot of sense for Innova to push for this. The wide rim driver market is one where a lot of different and smaller companies can compete and grow their companies. Innova dominates the fairway driver market, when most people think of fairway drivers they think of Innova.

Last edited: