• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Power 90 workout

Chainchaser

Double Eagle Member
This is not the P90x but what they call the power 90. I am at day 3 and it really is a workout. I want to get in shape to play more DG this summer plus I just really need to get in better shape and lose some(a lot of) weight. Has anybody done this program? If you have let me know your thoughts. It has a 90 day guarantee so I figure I am not losing anything but shipping and also has a great support website at wowy.com.

I've done P90X, but not the the Power 90, which I believe the first version of P90X. But what from what I've seen of the two, is that they are a great series of workout especially you have the space to do it and the pull-up equipment. Just make sure you push yourself to the max and not sluff off on the workouts. Also, make sure to really focus in on your nutrition cause 80% of your success for losing weight is going to come from that.

Yea this is the first P90. I got it because I did not think I was ready for the P90X. I am at day 12 and feel great besides some aches in my knees which I knew would be an issue anyway. I have lost a couple pounds but more importantly I have taken 4 inches off my waist. This is great program for beginner level workouts and when I complete it then I am either going to do the power 90 master series or go for the P90X.

My nutrition part needs the most help. I am just unable to have the time to make the foods they have. I am trying some of it but I am still lacking in that area. I hope after easter I can really concentrate on the nutrition side to try to shed more pounds. I have to really quit making excuses and commit to it.

Overall though it has been great and the workouts are fun and flexible. I can definitely feel the change in my body. I feel stronger and have way more energy even though it has only been 12 days. Power Yoga though is the bane of my existence. Kicks my butt every time. I am making it my goal in life to get one up on it soon.

Awesome job!

One thing to help with your knees is to make sure that they 'track' over your feet and that they don't go past your toes. Also for exercises like lunges, cause if it's like P90X I'm sure they have you doing them, make sure that the leg that's in front of you, a majority of the weight is through the heel and not your toes (but not all the weight so you can lift your toes off the ground!). Same weight distribution is the same for squats. Any time you put weight on your toes, your activating your quads and any time you're on your heels, you activate your hamstrings. (Amongst other muscles) Also, don't be afraid to ice them even if they're not sore.

With nutrition you could always stray from what they say and find out what your RMR/BMR then subtract 500 calories.Then find plenty examples of meal programs online that you could follow just so you get the idea of what to eat. Also some tips that help, especially for guys.

Stay away from all pop (yes, even diet).
White meat only.
Make sure protein is somewhere in your breakfast.
Reward yourself every other week with one meal of your choice IF you complete 2 full weeks of working out.

I would suggest looking into Insanity between doing P90 and P90X. It's made more for cardio/core strength and losing weight. It's an intense workout and you only use your own body so you don't need any weights or pullup bars. It's mostly push-up based exercises, a lot of jumping and squatting type exercises, some jogging in place exercises and stretching. I think it's even made by the same company who did P90X.

*Note* There is an Insanity: Asylum that requires equipment, I haven't tried that one. I did Insanity for almost a month and I lost a decent amount of weight and gained about 2 inches of vertical to my jump... then I got a job, moved into a small apartment and no longer had the room to do it.

isobar said:
I would suggest looking into Insanity between doing P90 and P90X. It's made more for cardio/core strength and losing weight. It's an intense workout and you only use your own body so you don't need any weights or pullup bars. It's mostly push-up based exercises, a lot of jumping and squatting type exercises, some jogging in place exercises and stretching. I think it's even made by the same company who did P90X.

*Note* There is an Insanity: Asylum that requires equipment, I haven't tried that one. I did Insanity for almost a month and I lost a decent amount of weight and gained about 2 inches of vertical to my jump... then I got a job, moved into a small apartment and no longer had the room to do it.
Yea all of them are made by beachbody.com. Power 90 only requires weights or bands. I use the bands right now. They also have a DVD called Fat burning express which is really a fun workout and if my knees hurt to bad i do that instead of the sweat 1-2 because it's not as hard on my knees. I did the sweat 1-2 today and really my knee pain was minimal.

Ironhide said:
Awesome job!
Stay away from all pop (yes, even diet).

Yea i know it is one of my hardest vices to quit. I have been doing good though and had only a couple over these first few weeks. Hopefully i will cut them out completely in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the advice and I will definitely use this to help me with my journey. I am hoping to get down 50 lb's by the middle to late summer then try to be in the 200-210 range after that.

isobar said:

My one vice about Insanity, is like you said, more push-up based exercises. We already live in a very anterior dominate society, that's why I liked P90/X more cause they figured out minimal/cheap equipment that someone could use at home, and it be effective.

Ya... Pop is my drug of choice, I gave that up for lent and can believe how much better my clothes are starting to fit and I'm hardly exercising... I'd like to give it up for good, and I did for about 3 years straight. But as soon as you say "oh I'll just have one a week", it's all over :lol: :p

Ironhide said:
Ya... Pop is my drug of choice, I gave that up for lent and can believe how much better my clothes are starting to fit and I'm hardly exercising... I'd like to give it up for good, and I did for about 3 years straight. But as soon as you say "oh I'll just have one a week", it's all over :lol: :p
Yea I know what you mean. I gave it up several years ago myself for about a year but then that"I will just have one no biggie" turned into 2 then 3,etc.... LOL

I have been doing P90 for 3 weeks, down 24 lbs, seeing serious changes in the body. I feel better and my DG is improving (avg. -3 strokes per round) with a little more confidence. I use dumbells with it, love the sculpting work-outs, not so much the sweat workouts, but a necessary evil. the lower body strength I'm gaining has helped with my putting.

mzuleger said:
.... or you could buy a better DVD program from a guy who is active on the forums here. Me. my program: Revolt Workout

Oh man If I would not have done this i definitely would have given it a try. Maybe when I am done with this I will try yours instead of the P90X. What type of equipment do you need for your workouts? weights, chin-up bar etc.??? Do you also include cardio? I like the Power 90 because I only need the power bands or weights but I didn't like the price!!! I definitely like your customized workout idea!!! That would definitely be something that interests me especially when I get done with this and get in shape.

Right now I am on day 24 and down about 14 lb's and feel really good and that is without completely following the meal plan. :shock: I am going to reevaluate my progress at 30 days and take another picture. I know my clothes are fitting better and i have a bit of a bounce to my step. Went out and played 18 holes the other day(smaller course) and it really didn't even phase me where as before this i would have been tired out.

chainchaser said:
mzuleger said:
.... or you could buy a better DVD program from a guy who is active on the forums here. Me. my program: Revolt Workout

Oh man If I would not have done this i definitely would have given it a try. Maybe when I am done with this I will try yours instead of the P90X. What type of equipment do you need for your workouts? weights, chin-up bar etc.??? Do you also include cardio? I like the Power 90 because I only need the power bands or weights but I didn't like the price!!! I definitely like your customized workout idea!!! That would definitely be something that interests me especially when I get done with this and get in shape.

Right now I am on day 24 and down about 14 lb's and feel really good and that is without completely following the meal plan. :shock: I am going to reevaluate my progress at 30 days and take another picture. I know my clothes are fitting better and i have a bit of a bounce to my step. Went out and played 18 holes the other day(smaller course) and it really didn't even phase me where as before this i would have been tired out.

My plan uses the same stuff (dumbbells, pull-up bar or bands) and it does have a brutal cardio DVD... brutal but effective. I think it's the best available simply because of the customization... then again I'm obviously biased :)

mzuleger said:
Ironhide said:
mzuleger said:

:roll:

Where's the "middle finger smiley" when I need it?

Not to burst your bubble. I understand you want to help people and make some extra money. But calling a DVD series 'customizable' is a joke... There's nothing customizable about it.... All cookie cutter....

Ironhide said:
mzuleger said:
Ironhide said:
mzuleger said:

:roll:

Where's the "middle finger smiley" when I need it?

Not to burst your bubble. I understand you want to help people and make some extra money. But calling a DVD series 'customizable' is a joke... There's nothing customizable about it.... All cookie cutter....

You don't know what you're talking about. I create a diet based on the persons needs... I arrange the DVD's based on the person's goals... I show how to engage specific muscle fibers.... I create a plan for you based on the amount of days you are able to work out. How do those features not create a customized product? How is that cookie cutter?

Oh where to begin the list. First, I notice you work(ed) at Gold Gyms, if you still work there, more than likely you're using the APEX nutrition program. So either you're using your companies resources which is against policy, or you're using cookie cutter meal programs that you already have. Second, unless you are a nutritionist/certified dietician, you cannot give out exact meal programs for people to follow. You can use them as guides, nothing more.

Clients plateau not only on workouts, but individual exercises. So not even knowing the people or their previous experience, how they react to exercises, etc... how can you possibly come up with a customized program for them? Easy answer, You can't! And engaging specific muscle fibers? Changing set/reps isn't that hard. Again, if you want to help people and make money, stick to people that are in person, not virtual. Cause larger programs like P90X will have you beat anyday.

Ironhide said:
Oh where to begin the list. First, I notice you work(ed) at Gold Gyms, if you still work there, more than likely you're using the APEX nutrition program. So either you're using your companies resources which is against policy, or you're using cookie cutter meal programs that you already have. Second, unless you are a nutritionist/certified dietician, you cannot give out exact meal programs for people to follow. You can use them as guides, nothing more.

Clients plateau not only on workouts, but individual exercises. So not even knowing the people or their previous experience, how they react to exercises, etc... how can you possibly come up with a customized program for them? Easy answer, You can't! And engaging specific muscle fibers? Changing set/reps isn't that hard. Again, if you want to help people and make money, stick to people that are in person, not virtual. Cause larger programs like P90X will have you beat anyday.

hahaha. wow, I guess you got me :roll:

First, when did I say I work or worked at gold's?!?! I don't know or use APEX... I use my own guide... and it is that, a guide that teaches people what they need to make the best choices for their goals. Changing sets/reps doesn't change muscle fiber activation... so I guess it is a little harder eh?

I never said my program was better than working with a trainer but comparing the two isn't a fair comparision since my DVD's cost $30 and 1 session with me is twice that. I just said my program is better than power 90 or P90X, and I believe it is (just because they "have me beat" I should give up and not try to give people a better product at a better price... you're crazy!).

I also call it customized because IT IS. When you make an order with me I don't just send out your package, I contact you and find out what your goals are and then put a plan together for you. Someone following my plan as I recomend will not plateau for a while because I advise they deload and make certain adjustments.

mzuleger said:
First, when did I say I work or worked at gold's?!?! I don't know or use APEX... I use my own guide... and it is that, a guide that teaches people what they need to make the best choices for their goals.
One of your quotes you have listed on your website would indicate that you work at Gold's Gyms. But besides the fact if you're not certified to give out meal programs, you can only offer 'ideas/examples'. IF someone followed your 'guide' and got sick or had complications, they could push for legal charges.

mzuleger said:
Changing sets/reps doesn't change muscle fiber activation... so I guess it is a little harder eh?
Yes, changing sets/rep DOES change muscle fiber activation, but muscle fiber activation isn't a selling point. You do more compound movements, lift heavier weights, alternating heavy/light days, change sets/reps/tempo, it all affects muscle fiber activation. Again nothing new, people do it all the time but just don't understand it. If you're goal is to improve endurance performance, you use more Type I Slow twitch so you tend to do high sets/high reps. Bodybuilding tends to be more IIC fast twitch, so it varies sets. Glycolitic sports, IIA fast twitch, so medium sets/reps, etc... Come on man, they teach you the basics of set/reps in high school.

mzuleger said:
I never said my program was better than working with a trainer but comparing the two isn't a fair comparision since my DVD's cost $30 and 1 session with me is twice that. I just said my program is better than power 90 or P90X, and I believe it is (just because they "have me beat" I should give up and not try to give people a better product at a better price... you're crazy!).
You're basically marketing another video much like everything that's currently out there. You don't spell out how you do everything, you don't have examples of what you do, you don't state your credentials, etc... Your website/product is half-@ssed.

mzuleger said:
I also call it customized because IT IS. When you make an order with me I don't just send out your package, I contact you and find out what your goals are and then put a plan together for you. Someone following my plan as I recomend will not plateau for a while because I advise they deload and make certain adjustments.
It's never customizable unless you're in front of the person. You don't know how they react to exercise, you don't know if their body is compromising, you don't know when they're failing in a set, etc... Asking someone their 'goals' doesn't give you the ability to give them the best customizable program possible. Even so, if you completely customize a DVD just for them, meaning you record them a new one, the hours you would use to make/develop/deliver the product is in the screwing you over. So basically you have a few DVDs made, and then you pick and choose which ones and main them out... NOT customizable.

Ironhide said:
mzuleger said:
First, when did I say I work or worked at gold's?!?! I don't know or use APEX... I use my own guide... and it is that, a guide that teaches people what they need to make the best choices for their goals.
One of your quotes you have listed on your website would indicate that you work at Gold's Gyms. But besides the fact if you're not certified to give out meal programs, you can only offer 'ideas/examples'. IF someone followed your 'guide' and got sick or had complications, they could push for legal charges.

mzuleger said:
Changing sets/reps doesn't change muscle fiber activation... so I guess it is a little harder eh?
Yes, changing sets/rep DOES change muscle fiber activation, but muscle fiber activation isn't a selling point. You do more compound movements, lift heavier weights, alternating heavy/light days, change sets/reps/tempo, it all affects muscle fiber activation. Again nothing new, people do it all the time but just don't understand it. If you're goal is to improve endurance performance, you use more Type I Slow twitch so you tend to do high sets/high reps. Bodybuilding tends to be more IIC fast twitch, so it varies sets. Glycolitic sports, IIA fast twitch, so medium sets/reps, etc... Come on man, they teach you the basics of set/reps in high school.

mzuleger said:
You're basically marketing another video much like everything that's currently out there. You don't spell out how you do everything, you don't have examples of what you do, you don't state your credentials, etc... Your website/product is half-@ssed.

mzuleger said:
It's never customizable unless you're in front of the person. You don't know how they react to exercise, you don't know if their body is compromising, you don't know when they're failing in a set, etc... Asking someone their 'goals' doesn't give you the ability to give them the best customizable program possible. Even so, if you completely customize a DVD just for them, meaning you record them a new one, the hours you would use to make/develop/deliver the product is in the screwing you over. So basically you have a few DVDs made, and then you pick and choose which ones and main them out... NOT customizable.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree... Honestly, you sound like a typical internet dick who easily hides behind his computer and spends his day trying to make himself happy by bringing other people down... and I have better things to do than allow your negativity into my day.

Good luck succeeding in life with this attitude.