• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

I have a freak stamped s-line I picked up thrashed in a used bin hoping to have one that flies like my broken in PPDs but stay in the sweet spot longer.
But
Its FAF and despite looking 5/10 is more overstable than my high plh CPDs. I bag it sometimes since it fights wind so well and is longer than my xxx, but I figure its not getting replaced easily so I don't want to fall in love with it.
I've got one of those. Early run S-line, patent number on the bottom, lightweight and FAF. Easily my most OS PD but it doesn't have as much distance or glide as a normal PD. Unless I need a mega wind fighter, it's rarely in the bag.

So because I'm lazy and y'all write a lot, which runs do y'all find to be your favorite? Freak stamp? shield stamp? Shield stamp with C-Line style info on the bottom?
All of them! Seriously every one of them has their role and the complete lineup will cover pretty much every line you need to cover.

If I only had to carry one driver till the end of time, it'd be the PD!

I posted this elsewhere about PDs v. OLFs, but figured it was useful here.

They are both similar in speed, distance, and feel (they share the FB rim). They are both generally top notch OS control drivers.

But here's why I can't put either one away.

This hole (Pier Park #6) is my PD v OLF case in point:

400 feet downhill and that monster Douglas Fir just to the right of the blue arrow is a nasty guardian (20 feet right and 40 feet in front of the pin).
So if you throw a PD RHBH to the left of that guardian, you'll fade and wind up left of the basket. If you throw a PD right of the guardian, the forward fade doesn't get you far enough left. If you rip a QOLF right at the damned tree, it will turn enough to miss the big tree then dump hard left to put you in the circle. You can fudge around with a flexed beefy PD, or hyzer-flip something right at the pin, but the OLF has a long glidey turn with that beautiful late, hard hookup like a Champ Eagle. So I carry PDs and OLFs, and TBs and Eagles.

The only runs of OLF that matter (1.1s are hard to find and prciey) are 1.2s and 1.3s right now. They are very similar. 1.2s were in brighter colors and little less domey. They aren't that easy to find right now, but they are around. If you see any around 170, I'll buy them. 1.3s are the current/recent run and they are gorgeous and sparkly but mostly in darker colors. They're a little stiffer and domier and they start out a little more OS but they are great you can't go wrong with either of those two runs, but the 1.3 will take a little longer to get into the OLF sweet spot. Depending on your power, you might not see much turn out of a 1.3 for a while but it will be a great wind fighter until you do. And that is all you need to know about current QOLFs.

Attachments

• pp.jpg
    pp.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 71
If the tree is really only 40' from the pin, throw lower and let it skip in more? I used to love the OLF, I could get a little more distance out of them than a PD. After not throwing the olf in favor of Forces for years, I am back to the PD and a higher speed driver for max D so the extra 20-30' on the olf is unnecessary.

It's probably more like 50', plus there are a few trees directly behind it that you can't see guarding that whole line. Plus it is a mud puddle half of the year (Oregon) and full of tree roots. I don't like to trust skips when there is a clean line.

You got 20'-30' feet more from the OLF than you did from PDs? That is not my experience. I get probably 10' -20' more from the PDs, all other things being equal.

Just seeing this thread and have recently fallen in love with the OLF. The OLF - to me - is the "true" longer Teebird. That moniker is given to a number of discs - Thunderbird, PD, etc. (I have even heard it described about the Teedevil - wont comment), but the OLF (throwing 1.2 SOLFs) gets that flipup and glide, without turning over, before predictably fading out. PDs are more stable to me and still have a slot in the bag - longer hyzer bomb.

^ Interesting. People definitely have different experiences.

I think you are mostly going to hear from people that the PD is the longer Teebird (straight to fade) and the OLF is the longer Eagle (HS turn to late, hard fade). Of course, this is with all other factors being equal (plastic, weight, etc.).

I have had a few locals mention the SOLF as a "longer Teebird" before the Thunderbird craze and I had to try it. The great thing is now I want to try some other Millennium molds due to its performance...but that is another thread. ;)

a little heads up I bought some factory seconds from the innova factory store (a S-PD and star destoyers) and I got all patent number discs. The S-PD is identical to my regular shield stamped patent # S-PD (a little dome, beefy but still straighter out of the box compared to the C-PDs I have).

16312423353_44fa03c4c9_c.jpg

the thing with the factory store is that you can actually put in request (in the order notes) for specific weights, color, and attributes and most of the time they will get exactly what you want. I wanted a 170g S-PD in red if possible (because they only had yellow on the online pictures).

I think I was getting more distance out of my SOLFs than my PDs was on golf lines. I flipped up the SOLFS from a touch of hyzer to flat and they turned a fair amount before the fade. I think I got more distance out of them beacause the amount of turn they predictably had. In general I feel a similar weight S-PD has more glide, but doesn't carry as far on that good flip up to straight line they fly.

Disclaimer: I compared them head to head about 3 years ago, maybe longer and didn't have a ton of throws on the PD's because I stuck with the OLF then. The OLF was longer in those tests. Now in hindsight, throwing PD's where I used to throw the OLF I generally do not throw as far as easily, but my distance is not always what it used to be (I need a world to reach holes I used to get with an OLF and cannot get now with a pd).
It wasn't long after I decided I liked the distance potential of the force, and that my X and beat Z preds covered the shots the OLF used to that the force wasn't great at. The preds were the reason I stuck with the OLF instead of the PD back then. Now the PD has forced the preds out in favor of a faster and slower very overstable driver.

Put the first PD that I bought into our courses lake today: gutted. I've no idea what run it actually was, but it was a S-Line with the Jesse Heinonen signature on.

The more I throw and get comfortable with my PD's, the less I'm reaching for my destroyers. I'm only getting 10-20' more D with Destroyers, with less accuracy. I just ordered a couple P-PD's, hoping they can become my main max distance discs and I can simplify the bag even more.

Put the first PD that I bought into our courses lake today: gutted. I've no idea what run it actually was, but it was a S-Line with the Jesse Heinonen signature on.

That was a 'pre first run' test run. In order to replace it, you will need to buy a Christmas pd or another Jesse Heinonen. They are actually a different disc than a PD.

Last edited:
Cheers guys. I'm probably a little bit less gutted now, but I did like that disc. I know where I can get another one, although admittedly it will be a 175 instead of 170. I still have a S-Line PD Freak stamp one which I got this year that I like anyway, so it's not a complete disaster.

How do you know what type he had?
I have JH that are proto/t Rex topped, what's to say his wasn't?

I should have included "possibly" it appears.

Tried to go to an all Trilogy bag (because currently that's all I sell, and I'm waiting to hear back from Discmania about wholesale) but I cannot for the life of me go on without the PD. I had to rebag it. Saint Pros and Felons are great, they just don't have the same feel, release, and line as the PD. The PD is by far the most consistent disc I have thrown in my short time as a DGer. Bagged a 175 S-Line and 171 (?) C-Line. Going to grab one or two more at the Flying Circus in a week, along with an FD, FD2, MD3 (or MD2), and P1 or P2. Figured my Discmania Grip can become my Discmania bag and my Ranger bag can be my Trilogy (+ some Discmania) bag ;)

I have to agree I can never see myself without a PD in my bag. If I ever have a shot that I have no idea what to throw I always end up grabbing my PD.

I have to agree I can never see myself without a PD in my bag. If I ever have a shot that I have no idea what to throw I always end up grabbing my PD.

there are certain courses where my seasoned C-PD can be used for pretty much every drive which is funny because playing them requires every type of drive - straight 280ft shot in swirling winds, sweeping hyzer to get around trees 345ft, spike hyzer in heavy crosswinds 250ft, dog leg w/ mando using side arm 220ft in heavy winds...

but in my local course I only use it specifically for two/three drives of the tee because its mostly wooded longer 350ft-375ft tunnel shots. But if I mess up on a drive and am looking at that 250ft-300ft upshot to save a three it comes right back into use.

I'm breaking in a S-PD that hopefully will become a flippy shapeable driver or my local course too.

I'm fairly certain that you have to set up wholesale with Innova here in the States. At the very least I know that Discmania discs are on the Innova Dealer order guide. FWIW
Nope. I actually just heard back from them when I was typing that up. Straight from Discmania, Erno Vayrynen got back to me. They have an office in Rancho Cucamonga. He hooked me up with the order form and price list. I might be ordering from them soon. [emoji16] [emoji16]